Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Transfer of 78 record to mp3

Posted 08-25-2021 02:58 PM
    Hi All,

I'm looking for recommendations for a company, preferably close to White Plains, NY, that can transfer 78 records to an mp3.  I believe the records are shellac and seem to be in good condition.  The records were created sometime between 1937 and 1944.  Thanks!

------------------------------
    Anne Ocone
    Percy Grainger Home and Studio
    White Plains, NY 10601
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Transfer of 78 record to mp3

Posted 08-26-2021 09:27 AM
    Check out the Great 78 Project at www.georgeblood.com.

Catherine Hughes PhD
    Executive Director
    Howard County Historical Society

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Transfer of 78 record to mp3

Posted 08-26-2021 09:30 AM
    Edited by Gary Galván 08-26-2021 09:33 AM

I realize my recommendation will fall a bit outside your geographic region; however, I can, without reservation, recommend George Blood Audio. Last year they digitized some 350 very rare 7" reel audio tapes (dating from 1957 to 1972) for us. George Blood had been the audio engineer for the Philadelphia Orchestra years ago and has established en excellent reputation with his company for top-notch care and quality. From an onsite evaluation of our materials to delivery of the digital files with followup on our own evaluation of the files, they have been timely and professional. 

Their experience covers every type of sound media, and they provide expertise in salvaging materials including shellac discs - which are particularly prone to catastrophic failure. They are certainly worth considering for their experience and the quality of the sound files.

We are featuring recordings from this project on our monthly podcast, Fleisher Discoveries.

Gary

GARY GALVÁN, Ph.D.
    Special Collections Music Curator 
    * Edwin A. Fleisher Collection of Orchestral Music

* Henry S. Drinker Choral Collection 

GalvanG@freelibrary.org
    215-686-5313  |  freelibrary.org 
    Central Parkway Library, 1901 Vine Street, Philadelphia, PA USA 19103

• 4.  RE: Transfer of 78 record to mp3

Posted 08-26-2021 11:58 AM
    If it's urgent then certainly go with a vendor. If you have time to chip away then perhaps consider buying an old turntable and connecting it to a computer (with the right xyz wire and xyz software) and get a couple done a day. It plays silently while you work on other things. Now if you have 5,00 albums I could see that feeling a bit daunting. Just a thought.

Matthew Isble
    Exhibit Designer & Founder of MuseumTrade.org
    misble@crockerartmuseum.org
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA
    misble@crockerartmuseum.org