Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Project Intake and Project Management Platforms

Posted 03-21-2018 01:29 PM

All,

Long-time/First-time ;-)

I'm interested in learning what technology systems others at museums here in the Junction are using to support their project intake and project management efforts. We've just created a project intake process flow, and are now looking at potential solutions to support both intake and management. We could potentially develop something in SharePoint, but systems like SmartSheet, Base Camp, Freedcamp and Liquid Planner have also been mentioned. It's been some time since I looked at systems like these, so I'm a little out of the loop. Any information and/or guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Patrick Arkins

Senior Business Analyst | The Franklin Institute

E: parkins@fi.edu   |  P: 215.448.1246

222 North 20th Street  |  Philadelphia, PA 19103

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Project Intake and Project Management Platforms

Posted 03-22-2018 10:38 AM
    Hello,
    In the Education Department at the Monterey Bay Aquarium we're using Wrike for project management.  It's a helpful collaborative platform.  Some others I've heard of around the Aquarium include Jira and Trello.  

------------------------------
    Jennifer Matlock
    School Programs Manager
    Monterey Bay Aquarium
    Monterey CA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Project Intake and Project Management Platforms

Posted 03-22-2018 10:52 AM
    We use SmartSheet at The House of the Seven Gables and it has changed the way we work across departments. Not all of our staff have adopted it (we're working on it!) but we're very happy with the ease of use, potential for cross-communication, and ability to plan and schedule tasks and projects.

Julie Arrison-Bishop
    Special Projects Manger
    The House of the Seven Gables
    Salem, Mass.

• 4.  RE: Project Intake and Project Management Platforms

Posted 03-22-2018 11:44 AM

Hi Patrick,

Greetings from a Formerly Franklin! (circa FuturesCenters era).

I've been using Smartsheet and Base Camp recently and they've been really helpful.  The Gantt charts in Smartsheet are very intuitive to use (practically no learning curve, although I do know MS Project and Merlin).  The ability to attach other files to specific tasks in the chart is a helpful feature (e.g. attaching a Schematic Design set of drawings to that milestone on the Gantt) as well as the ease with which others can add their comments to specific rows.

I'm new to Base Camp and it's taking a bit of adjustment, but it seems to be a good central place to post information for others.  It also has features such as automatic prompts, which are helpful in prompting a team to commit certain actions at specific times (such as send in agenda items on X days before a meeting).  I can see where it might be cumbersome as time goes on and the volume of Comments and Discussions increases, but others with more experience can chime in and let us know if that's a problem or not.

Good luck with creating a new system!  I'd love to see any off-line comments you might get if you don't mind sharing them.

Cheers,

Barbara

Barbara Punt
    President
    Punt Consulting Group
    Redondo Beach CA
    javascript:AddSignatureVariable('barbara@puntconsulting.com');

• 5.  RE: Project Intake and Project Management Platforms

Posted 03-27-2018 09:31 AM
    Barbara, 

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Both SmartSheet and BaseCamp are on the "long list". BaseCamp's pricing model seems to have gotten more attractive than the last time I looked, and I like the core functionality and extensibility.
    So far my "long list" includes
    • Monday
    • Smartsheet
    • Freedcamp (Business)
    • BaseCamp
    • Office 365 + Project
    • SharePoint 2016 (long story)
    • Wrike
    No offline comments at this point. 

Thanks again, 

Patrick

Patrick Arkins
    Senior Business Analyst
    The Franklin Institute
    Philadelphia PA

• 6.  RE: Project Intake and Project Management Platforms

Posted 03-28-2018 07:15 AM
    We use Asana, which has similar functionality to Trello and Basecamp, but a slightly different appearance. I've used both Asana and Basecamp extensively, and have found both pretty intuitive and easy to use. Good luck!

Joseph Cialdella PhD
    Program Manager
    University of Michigan
    Ann Arbor MI

• 7.  RE: Project Intake and Project Management Platforms

Posted 04-25-2018 09:20 AM
      |   view attached
    All, 

Thanks for the recommendations. I've completed a very subjective "Market Landscape Analysis", attached. The purpose of this document is to inform investment approvers and other management about what's out there, how well it could meet our needs, and the investment required for various options. Once we've shared this information, we'll hopefully get approval to proceed, with an understood investment threshold.

Caveats
    • All of the answers are based on what I could find on various sites on the internet. I'm sure things will shift if/when we actually speak with vendors and see demonstrations.
    • Some answers are entirely subjective.
    • Pricing is list.
    • SharePoint 2016 is seen as a no-cost solution because we're already trying to upgrade.

Patrick Arkins
    Senior Business Analyst
    The Franklin Institute
    Philadelphia PA

• 8.  RE: Project Intake and Project Management Platforms

Posted 06-20-2018 03:46 PM
    Really helpful chart! Thanks for posting!

Stephanie Kimmel
    Field Museum of Natural History
    Chicago IL

• 9.  RE: Project Intake and Project Management Platforms

Posted 06-21-2018 10:27 AM
    Sure thing, please share your story if you wind up implementing something.

Patrick Arkins
    Senior Business Analyst
    The Franklin Institute
    Philadelphia PA