Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Resources about security systems?

Posted 07-01-2021 01:20 PM
    Greetings.

I'm looking for recommendations of publications or other resources that outline principles and best practices regarding museum security systems. The Museum of Contemporary Religious Art is located in what was originally a chapel. The alarm system installed at the time of the renovation into a museum (c.1992) is showing its age and I'm preparing for conversations with the university's facilities and public safety departments about any necessary upgrades or replacements. The building has some architectural features that pose particular challenges, and I suspect that the solutions implemented in the early 90s might be improved upon (or at least, I'm trying to understand the logic behind what was done at the time).

Thanks,
    David Brinker

Director
    Museum of Contemporary Religious Art (MOCRA) | Saint Louis University
    pronouns: he/him/his
    www.slu.edu/mocra

------------------------------
    David Brinker
    Assistant Director
    Museum of Contemporary Religious Art
    Saint Louis MO
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Resources about security systems?

Posted 07-01-2021 11:01 PM
    Museum Security and Protection: A Handbook for Cultural Heritage Institutions
    ICOM and the International Committee on Museum Security
    Robert Burke (Editor), David Liston (Editor)
    https://icom.museum/en/ressource/museum-security-and-protection-a-handbook-for-cultural-heritage-institutions/

--

Jean-Luc Vincent

Administrateur du SIA
    Direction des collections, de la conservation et de la restauration
    Direction générale des affaires autochtones et du patrimoine culturel
    Parcs Canada, Gouvernement du Canada
    2630, chemin Sheffield, Ottawa, Ontario, K1B 3V7
    Messages: jeanluc.vincent.parcsparks@gmail.com / Cell. non fiable 613-720-4418 / Fax 613-990-6627

AIS Administrator
    Collections, Curatorial and Conservation Branch
    Indigenous Affairs and Cultural Heritage Directorate
    Parks Canada, Government of Canada
    2630 Sheffield Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1B 3V7
    Messages: jeanluc.vincent.parcsparks@gmail.com / Cell. unreliable 613-720-4418 / Fax 613-990-6627

450 000 km2 de souvenirs
     / 450 000 km2 of memories

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Resources about security systems?

Posted 07-07-2021 10:02 AM
    We just had a security audit completed by Layne International.  Very professional organization and I highly recommend them.  Following some of their recommendations, I'm looking for examples of security policies and procedures to retrofit to our museum and protected area.  While we have "habits" of security - what we do in general, but it's not necessarily written down. 

Does anyone have policies that are written that they would be willing to share? 

Bobbi Hapgood
    Powers Art Center

Bobbi Hapgood
    President/CEO Ryobi Foundation
    Powers Art Center
    Carbondale CO

• 4.  RE: Resources about security systems?

Posted 07-07-2021 10:13 AM

Steve Keller sells a cd for $99.00 that he claims is an instant policy manual. I have not used this software but I know Steve and know it must be a very good product.  The link to it is below;

http://www.stevekeller.com/SteveKellerandAssociates/Policy_Manual.html If this is used you are assured that you have a good starting point from which you can build on as much as needed.

Christopher Provan

Chair Security PN

Christopher Provan
    Chief Security Officer
    Winterthur Museum, Garden & Library
    Direct 302.888.4640
    Cell 617.240.1056

5105 Kennett Pike

Winterthur, DE 19735
    winterthur.org

• 5.  RE: Resources about security systems?

Posted 07-05-2021 02:21 PM
    give a call to our tech team here at national gallery of art, washington, dc.

202-842-6242 or 6243  

attn; alex yam

tell alex, harold williams sent you

take care

Harold Williams
    SPO (GPO II)
    National Gallery of Art
    Washington DC

• 6.  RE: Resources about security systems?

Posted 07-06-2021 03:23 PM
      |   view attached
    The Security PN might be a good place to start. The attached document was written by the Security PN as well as ASIS International. This is a little dated but a good place to start. There will be an updated version coming soo.

Thank you,
    Christopher Provan
    Chair Security PN

Christopher Provan
    Chief Security Officer
    Winterthur Museum, Garden & Library
    Hamilton NY