Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Staffing Structures in Education Departments

Posted 04-27-2017 01:32 PM

Hi All!  

I'm Corinne Flax and I manage school and community partnerships at the Bruce Museum in Greenwich CT.  I'm working on an article about unusual staffing structures within education departments, using my department as an example.  At the Bruce the Deputy Director oversees education, and our department is led by three co-managers, each with their own areas of oversight.  This plan works well for us, but we can see how a different mix of personalities or work styles might make it untenable.  

This is a different structure than any I've worked in before, and I'm hoping you'd care to share some of the more unusual staffing plans you work with or have worked with, and how effective you thought they were.

Thanks a million,

Corinne 

------------------------------
    Corinne Flax
    Manager of School and Community Partnerships
    Bruce Museum
    Greenwich CT
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Staffing Structures in Education Departments

Posted 05-03-2017 03:29 PM
      |   view attached
    Connie,

I was just updating my organization chart, which includes Education, and will attach it here.  Another graphic tool I use is an effort report (on an excel worksheet) where all of the major programs are one axis and staff members the other axis.  The percent of work time each individual allocates to the program is entered.  This is useful in cost accounting as well as work planning.

A chart is two dimensional and does not reflect the complexities of individual effort and collaboration that education programs involve within my department.  Interpretation, for example is a team effort where five of us meet regularly to review priorities and project management.  Team members take leadership for coordinating and implementing the various projects concurrently underway.  The project team for a single exhibit project might involve significant effort from half a dozen staff, but the org chart would not show even one person dedicated to interpretation.  Accountability, commitment, collaboration, and communication make it work.  There is nothing unusual in this formula.  You could add resilience or adaptability to the list. 

It sounds like our structures are similar in having several peer managers with specific areas of responsibility and some shared efforts.  This plan works well for us.  We have an excellent education team. 

Regards,

Bob

Robert Gutowski
    Director of Education and Visitor Experience
    Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania
    Philadelphia PA

Attachment(s)

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more