Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Storing many 35mm Slides?

Posted 04-20-2022 12:46 PM
    Good afternoon folks,
    I've come across 1,000-3,000 35mm slides that need to be rehoused. Are there any recommendations in storing them in albums (in sleeves like this) or in the long slide boxes (like this)? Do people have pros and cons for either storing method? Or is there another recommended method?

Thank you all!

Luke

------------------------------
    Luke Perez
    Curator of Collections
    College Park Aviation Museum
    College Park MD
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Storing many 35mm Slides?

Posted 04-20-2022 01:49 PM
    Hi,
    I personally prefer the archival quality clear sheets.  There is way less handling in finding the slide or negative that you want.  Don't forget (expensive) archival quality clamshell binders to put them in as they let very little light and dust in;  they should also be in a cabinet with very little light coming through.  The sheets and the binders should be clearly identified.  Some cabinets allow you to hang those sheets directly inside a drawer but I have always thought that they offered less protection to the contents.
    If you drop a slide box, you have a game of 52 pick-up ahead of you...

--

Jean-Luc Vincent

Administrateur du SIA
    Direction des collections, de la conservation et de la restauration
    Direction générale des affaires autochtones et du patrimoine culturel
    Parcs Canada, Gouvernement du Canada
    2630, chemin Sheffield, Ottawa, Ontario, K1B 3V7
    Messages: jeanluc.vincent.parcsparks@gmail.com / Cell. non fiable 613-720-4418 / Fax 613-990-6627

Je travail dans le territoire non cédé et non rendu du peuple Anishinaabe ou Algonquin.

AIS Administrator
    Collections, Curatorial and Conservation Branch
    Indigenous Affairs and Cultural Heritage Directorate
    Parks Canada, Government of Canada
    2630 Sheffield Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1B 3V7
    Messages: jeanluc.vincent.parcsparks@gmail.com / Cell. unreliable 613-720-4418 / Fax 613-990-6627

I work in the unceded and unsurrendered territory of the Anishinaabe or Algonquin people.

450 000 km2 de souvenirs
     / 450 000 km2 of memories

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Storing many 35mm Slides?

Posted 04-21-2022 09:46 AM
    Thank you very much for the advice! I really appreciate it.

Luke Perez
    Curator of Collections
    College Park Aviation Museum
    College Park MD

• 4.  RE: Storing many 35mm Slides?

Posted 04-22-2022 08:34 AM

Another inquiry re 35 mm slides please. Recommendations of equipment to convert them into digital versions will be also much appreciated. 

Emlyn Koster, PhD | koster.emlyn@gmail.com 

Emlyn Koster PhD
    Former Museum Director