Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Interview Request: Political Art Sources

Posted 03-03-2020 04:13 PM
    Hello all!

My name is Katie Malone and I'm a graduate student at American University in Washington, D.C.  I joined this forum because I'm looking for sources for my final capstone project that would be interested in participating in an interview about political art. In particular, I'm looking for individuals that have curated political art exhibits, have scholarly or expert level knowledge on political art, artists that create political art, or individuals associated with a political art community. It would be an hour long conversation (or whatever you can fit into your schedule!) about the topic at-large and specific case studies, if you have knowledge of them. 

It would be an on the record conversation, but happy to use aliases such as "artist you specializes in X" or "curator at X museum" if absolutely necessary. 

If interested, I can provide additional information about the interview via this forum or over email at km7475a@student.american.edu 

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Katie Malone
    Student
    American University
    Washington DC
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Interview Request: Political Art Sources

Posted 03-04-2020 07:12 AM
    I would be happy to discuss our many White House Christmas cards on display as art, as well as the controversial, first-ever, move away from tradition by the Clinton's who had a photograph taken in 1994. 

This was then turned into a Christmas card and many people complained that they ruined the tradition of art in the two political parties that had been used for so long. This large photograph is framed and on display with the other political party paid for art in paintings and cards.

Thank you, from Marti

Martin CJ Mongiello, MBA, MA, MCFE.

CEO and CMO at The United States Presidential Service Center Foundation Trusts and US Presidential Culinary Museum. White House Military Office badge number 14592, 301 Cleveland Avenue, Grover, NC 28073
    001 (704) 937-2940 

www.PresidentialServiceCenter.org

www.PresidentialCulinaryMuseum.org

GM of The Inn of the Patriots country inn www.TheInnofthePatriots.com

"Enjoy a night at the museum!"

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Interview Request: Political Art Sources

Posted 03-04-2020 10:19 AM
    Martin,

Very interesting! My project mostly focuses on the political messaging in art and the motivations of the artist to create, but this could be an interesting angle. Could you email me some more information? (km7475a@student.american.edu)

Thanks!

Katie Malone
    Student
    American University
    Washington DC

• 4.  RE: Interview Request: Political Art Sources

Posted 03-04-2020 09:23 AM
    Hi Katie
    There's a gallery in DC specializing in political art near the Portrait Gallery. Can't remember the name but am sure it'll come up in Google. I think the owner is a former reporter. 

Good luck!
    Karen Jackson

Karen Jackson
    Audio Content Creator
    Washington DC

• 5.  RE: Interview Request: Political Art Sources

Posted 03-04-2020 10:16 AM
    Karen, 

Thanks for the insight! Is it the Center for Contemporary Political Art? Because if so, great minds think alike and I've been able to connect with the leader of the organization. They are a wonderful organization!

Katie Malone
    Student
    American University
    Washington DC

• 6.  RE: Interview Request: Political Art Sources

Posted 03-04-2020 10:43 AM
    Yes, that's it!

Karen Jackson
    Audio Content Creator
    Washington DC