Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sign holders

Posted 02-20-2021 07:52 PM
    We are looking to buy new interpretive sign holders for Filoli's historic house. We currently use plexi and are thinking about wood instead. Thanks for sharing your favorites or suggestions!

------------------------------
    Erika Frank
    Director of Education & Interpretation
    Woodside, CA
    efrank@filoli.org
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Sign holders

Posted 02-22-2021 09:23 AM
    Generally for outdoor use, we use aluminum (painted or powder-coated) for the bases and an outdoor grade panel material like high-pressure laminate (HPL) with a 10-year warranty. These last a long time and don't need to be replaced very often. Plex has a tendency to scratch and the colors fade quickly.

If you were looking for a less expensive alternative, I've been suggesting printing on DiBond or MetalMax with UV inks. It doesn't have the same 10-year warranty, but I suspect it would last quite a while.

We've done bases in wood before plenty of times. But panels in wood would rot too quickly and not hold the ink long enough before fading.

Direct: 651-403-8723
    ChrisEvans@106group.com
    106group.com

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Sign holders

Posted 02-22-2021 01:40 PM
    Hi Ericka - we have used LarkLabel for outdoor signs. They are very good quality.
    http://larklabel.com

Gurufateh Khalsa
    Director
    The Sikh Dharma Museum Collection
    Santa Cruz NM

• 4.  RE: Sign holders

Posted 02-23-2021 12:41 PM
    Hi Erika,
    We have a sculpture garden coming online in the next few years, I'd love to reach out to see how you like your final decision. I would agree with Chris below, look for hearty materials that weather well. Plex will scratch and get brittle. Redwood can be long wearing, but aluminum will go even longer, I think the decision there could also come down to aesthetics.
    You'll want something with rounded corners and edges that aren't sharp of course. You might ask some bay area museums what they use for outdoor works. De Young maybe or the SF zoo?
    It's been MANY years since I visited Filoli, I look forward to visiting again someday. Keep up the great work out there.
    Cheers,
    Matt

Matthew Isble
    Exhibit Designer & Founder of MuseumTrade.org
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA