Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  new card for museum entry

Posted 07-16-2021 05:02 PM
    How do I renew my card?
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: new card for museum entry

Posted 07-19-2021 10:35 AM
    Well first of all what card?  I have never been given one and
    just use my badge from work.

------------------------------
    Jerry Foley
    GPO
    National Gallery of Art
    Washington DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: new card for museum entry

Posted 07-20-2021 08:14 AM
    For many years, AAM maintained a list of museums that extended courtesy entry for members… one just needed to show their AAM member card. That program has been allowed to languish (kudos to whoever can find a current list on AAM's website). FWIW, an ICOM membership card gets you into museums around the world.

interesting that Amy has zeroed in on a pretty much moribund membership benefit!

Laura Roberts
    Principal
    Roberts Consulting
    Cambridge MA

• 4.  RE: new card for museum entry

Posted 07-20-2021 08:31 AM

I just read the long thread on the public "hack" that one can buy an AAM retiree membership to get into museums free, so I understand the hesitancy to promote this benefit. Now I understand why when I use my AAM card some places also ask, "do you work in a museum?"

So now the "find a museum" search page on aam-us says there is no formal reciprocal program. I had not checked that page in some time.

what a shame that the global information network has made us so wary and protective. But museums should remember that independent museum professionals and most volunteers don't have museum IDs or business cards to use as substitutes to prove our museum insider status.

Laura Roberts
    Principal
    Roberts Consulting
    Cambridge MA