Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Staff coverage

Posted 01-15-2017 02:41 PM

Hello,

We put a new "Visitor Services Request for Time off Policy"  in place a few months ago where anyone requesting time off, other than sick time, with less than 30 days' notice, must find their own coverage.  If they can't find their own coverage, they should expect to work that day.  This is especially needed during our busy seasons.  Needless to say, several staff did not feel this was a fair policy even though we do find coverage for them with at least four weeks' notice.  As a result of the concerns this stirred up, we told staff that we'll put this policy on hold with more time to review and benchmark with other museums. 

I'd like to get some of your feedback on what is your time off policy?

Many thanks,

Laura

Laura Berliner

Director of Visitor Experience

N O R M A N    R O C K W E L L    M U S E U M

Home of American Illustration Art 

P.O. Box 308,  Stockbridge, MA 01262 

413.931-2204 t   4213-9312-2304 f  

">http://www.nrm.org/">www.nrm.org  

Always something new to see!

Support your Museum... Become a member today!

www.nrm.org/support/museum-membership/

FacebookTwitter Pinterest YouTube

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Staff coverage

Posted 01-17-2017 02:12 PM
    I think your policy sounds perfectly reasonable. In most businesses, you have to find your own coverage if you want to be out. In fact, there are lots of new apps designed for just this reason for the hospitality industry. 

What do you think their concern is? Is it really about something other than this particular policy? 

Maybe I agree with you because I do the same with my small staff. If they tell me in advance of the upcoming month of a need for a day off, I schedule accordingly and I try to be accommodating. If they want to make schedule changes once the schedule for the month is complete, they have to work it out among themselves and then I approve any changes. 

------------------------------
    Angie Albright
    Director
    Clinton House Museum
    Fayetteville AR

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Staff coverage

Posted 01-18-2017 01:00 PM
    We have a similar policy, but only require two weeks notice.  They get the time off and I'll find a sub unless we are already short, so staff make sure they are the first in line and let me know even sooner when they can, especially for big plans--family weddings, spring break. I say:  let me know about a trip when you make the reservation.  I ask/nag folks to let me know about days off around Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays about a month in advance since we can have multiple requests at that time.  

Our schedule is set far ahead, for a semester length season at a time.  Two weeks seems to be pretty fair to handle ordinary needs for flexibility.

Kristin Peszka Interpretation & Visitor Services Director Paul Revere Memorial Association Boston MA