Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Braille in/on exhibit signs

Posted 01-11-2022 10:33 AM
    Do any of your respective institutions add any kind of exhibit interpretation with Braille? If yes; how, what type of material? 

Thanks,
    Martin 

--
    Martin S. Fisher
    Executive Director
    Science Central
    1950 North Clinton Street
    Fort Wayne, IN  46805
    Phone: 260-424-2400 ext. 441
    Fax: 260-422-2899
    Cellular: 260-452-4047
    Email: mfisher@sciencecentral.org
    www.sciencecentral.org
    41°5'52" N  85°7'8" W  756 ft.

Spark Your Imagination!
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Braille in/on exhibit signs

Posted 01-12-2022 09:36 AM
    We have typically utilized braille in places in the exhibit where we are inviting touch. For example, our dinosaur gallery has bronze sculptures that have a touchable skeleton on one side. We have corresponding braille to give some context.  We chose not to incorporate all of the copy into braille due to space and budget. We use a company here in Cincinnati (not too far away!) named Photo Lab Inc. (https://www.photolabinc.com/) and they have a process where they can embed raster beads into a graphic surface and they have held up fairly well. I would recommend going with the brass beads and not the plastic ones (the plastic ones tend to pop out a little more easily). While developing the graphics, we worked with Clovernook Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired (https://clovernook.org/) to provide guidance and convert our copy into a vector file for print. Hope this helps!

------------------------------
    Fern Linziger
    Exhibits Designer
    Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal
    CINCINNATI OH

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Braille in/on exhibit signs

Posted 01-12-2022 04:23 PM
    Hi Martin,

I would love to hear directly from members of the disability community in this thread. Before the plague, I partnered with my university's Office of Disability Support Services for an art exhibition done by people with disabilities. The leader of that department (who lives with a visual impairment themselves) shared how Braille is becoming a lost language. In the smartphone era, it's really easy for phones to use cameras to capture and speak written text. You may find your visitors with disabilities are able to use apps that read your labels, thus potentially eliminating the need for Braille. 

Again, I think your visitors with disabilities and other members of the community should add their experiences and let that drive whether (or not) you add Braille. 

All the best,

George Garner (he/him/his)
    Assistant Director & Curator
    Civil Rights Heritage Center - Indiana University, South Bend
    South Bend IN

• 4.  RE: Braille in/on exhibit signs

Posted 01-13-2022 01:49 PM
    I am a Braille reader, and my short reply to to George's message is "yes and" That is, yes, I would welcome a Braille sign about the ehxibit, and if available, I would scan a QR code with my phone to access more information.

There are systematic and cultural issues that explain why Braille isn't being taught to those who need it. See my recent post and the links there for more information.
    https://museumsenses.org/braille-is-essential/

Cheryl Fogle-Hatch PhD
    consultant