Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Shipping Canada to NYC

Posted 04-30-2019 05:05 PM
    I am needing to coordinate transport of a very large artwork (86" x 86" x 8") from Scarborough, Ontario to NYC (Manhattan) and am having challenges with finding an art shipper who does this route AND has a large enough truck AND is not prohibitively expensive.  And yes, I realize that "prohibitively expensive" is subjective.

The piece needs to arrive in Manhattan between May 23 and June 3rd, so that somewhat short notice is also a challenge.

Does anyone have some advice for me?

Thank you!

Beth Savage

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Shipping Canada to NYC

Posted 05-01-2019 11:05 AM
    Hi Beth,

There are 2 fine art transport companies that I usually work with for shipments between Canada & the US- PacArt and Total Fine Arts. Both are very professional. You should reach out to Masterpiece or Dietl to coordinate customs at the border. I believe they also run shuttles down the east coast, dropping with a US based agent such as Crozier, who will make local delivery. 

http://www.totalfinearts.com

http://pacart.ca

Best,
    Heather Haldeman

------------------------------
    Heather Haldeman
    Associate Registrar/Exhibitions
    Denver Art Museum
    Denver CO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Shipping Canada to NYC

Posted 05-02-2019 11:25 AM
    Yes, We have used Dietl, and also Northeast Transport. They come down as far as Annapolis....maybe Richmond, Va. Good luck

Sent from my iPad

• 4.  RE: Shipping Canada to NYC

Posted 05-02-2019 08:45 AM
    Edited by Suzan Friedlander 05-02-2019 08:47 AM
    Hi Beth,

I cannot speak highly enough of Naglee Fine Art; the team I worked with was incredibly professional and personable, and went the extra mile to ensure complete satisfaction with a complicated overseas loan. 

https://www.nagleegroup.com/fine-arts/

Suzan Friedlander
    Executive Director & Chief Curator
    Arkell Museum & Canajoharie Library
    Canajoharie NY

• 5.  RE: Shipping Canada to NYC

Posted 05-03-2019 09:21 AM
    Beth,
    If cost were the only deciding factor I would forgo art shipper and choose LTL (less than container load) freight but you would need to make sure to pack it extremely well and have a solidly constructed shipping crate built for it, and obviously insure it. Cost for freight is higher for heavier items than for simply larger items, and your item would fit within standard container even with packing and shipping crate. Some years ago I shipped a 4'x4'x4' bronze from Europe via Antwerp by LTL ocean freight to Port of New Jersey and it arrived undamaged. It did take a long time but you don't need to cross an ocean for your purposes. You can try using uship.com nowadays. For peace of mind though... Go with art shipper.

Best wishes,
    Jeremi

Jeremi Bigosinski
    Faculty
    Norwalk CT