Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Museum Pay Issues Resource

Posted 11-01-2019 11:12 AM
      |   view attached

Dear colleagues [indulgence coveted for cross-posting]:

Concerned about problematic pay levels in the museum sector?

If so, see the just-published title For Love or Money: Confronting the State of Museum Salaries edited by Dawn E. Salerno, Mark S. Gold, & Kristina L. Durocher (2019).

The Steering Committee of Fair Museum Jobs, UK describes this book as: "A bold collection of essays that. . . comes at a time when these subjects are becoming less taboo and moving to the forefront of discussions about the sustainability of our sector."

For Love or Money is a 532-page evidence-based analysis of a wide variety of questions surrounding museum wages. The publisher, MuseumsEtc, has generously provided each author with a PDF copy of their chapter in order to make the content widely and freely available.

The list of 24 chapter titles & authors in For Love or Money, can be found on the MuseumsEtc web site at https://museumsetc.com/products/for-love-of-money-confronting-the-state-of-museum-salaries, so a contributor who may be known to readers would likely be happy to share their chapter with you.

A PDF of my chapter "Decent Working Conditions are Essential for Decent Compensation" is attached, but also can be found in my 31 October post on the Solving Task Saturation for Museum Workers blog at https://solvetasksaturation.wordpress.com/.

I urge museum workers to join in some necessary "activism" of the kind recommended by Janes & Sandell (2019) in order to address the Quality of Working Lives & compensation issues in our industry.

Reference cited:
    Janes, Robert R. & Sandell, Richard eds. 2019. Museum Activism. London & New York: Routledge.

------------------------------
    Paul C.Thistle
    Director/Curator (retired)
    Stratford, Ontario

Attachment(s)

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museum Pay Issues Resource

Posted 11-04-2019 08:45 AM
      |   view attached
    Thanks Paul.  I too had the privilege of contributing a chapter (#1).  The  editors did a masterful job (no small task!).  The book  presents an excellent detailed look at a key issue in our field today.  I believe I have attached the link to my chapter.  If not I can send it along: sh.miller2@verizon.net

Regards,

Steve

Steven Miller
    Doylestown, PA

Executive Director Retired
    Boscobel Restoration, Inc.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Museum Pay Issues Resource

Posted 11-04-2019 12:19 PM
    My copy of this book is on the way to my doorstep now, and I'm very much looking forward to reading it!

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions

Redmond, WA USA