Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Internship Advice

Posted 01-01-2017 09:20 PM
    Edited by Daniel Williams 01-02-2017 12:08 PM

Hello and happy new year to you all!

In a couple of weeks, I will be back in school for the Spring semester and I will be doing an internship with the museum I've been volunteering for the past year and a half. I have three more semesters to go to receive my Bachelors of Arts in History. This upcoming fall, I will apply for a couple of graduate school programs which will be Museum Studies and History. MS is my first choice.

Usually students would do an internship during their final year but I feel I'm ready to for a head start in my field. In my major program, an internship can be repeatable to 12 hours. I plan to do another another internship for Spring 2018 which my final semester so I could just take 3 classes.

Last month when discussing with the museums director about the internship, she explained that I will be doing some advance research for the spring exhibit and attend some meetings. I'll be doing 6 hours a week and doing other things on the side on my own. The director explained it's pretty much a thing of trust.

I copy and pasted the description about what I'll be doing.

• Explore and learn research method for presenting public history with an emphasis on exhibiting artifact in the context of significant local and national historical events.
    • Build on current skills to grow in understanding of the collection management including identifying, cataloguing, handling and storing artifacts.
    • Research new acquisitions and catalogue items using the museum’s computer system. (Past Perfect)
    • Build a better understanding of how the collection management system can be used for the curate an exhibit. 
    • Assist with research for the spring 2017 exhibit. Explore ways to organize information for the exhibit including selection of relevant artifacts from the collection. Write wall panel about selected artifacts and regional sites. Attend Exhibit Committee meetings to learn about museum management and governance. 

Since I've been volunteering for a year and a half, I have good knowledge how some things work in the museum. As a volunteer, I mainly work with archives (just working with accession numbers and write descriptions). With this internship, it's research. 

There will always be trail and errors but I wish to avoid as much as possible. If anyone has some advice based on the internship description, I'll greatly appreciate it! 

-Daniel 

------------------------------
    Daniel Williams
    Museum Volunteer
    Macomb IL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Internship Advice

Posted 01-02-2017 09:16 AM

Hello Daniel, For starters you might want to brush up on your syntax and spelling. These messages are broadcast nationally and I'm not sure your current supervisor would appreciate being called a dictator - innocent mistake but how you communicate will be fundamental to any museum position.  As a previous internship coordinator I would advise you to read over your messages before sending.  m

Marcella Wells
    Interpretive Planning and Evaluation Consultant
    Wells Resources, Inc.
    Fort Collins CO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Internship Advice

Posted 01-02-2017 09:34 AM
    Edited by Colin Windhorst 01-02-2017 09:36 AM

Hi Daniel,  It looks like you are off to a good start.  I have just one suggestion, after a quick perusal of your thoughtful note, which is that you might want to refer to your supervisor as the Museum Director.  Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm with us, and please accept my best wishes for your future.

Colin Windhorst PhD

• 4.  RE: Internship Advice

Posted 01-02-2017 12:07 PM

Wow! Thanks for the tip. I wrote this thread very late. I watch a lot of WW2 documentaries so that word must've slip!

Daniel Williams
    Museum Volunteer
    Macomb IL

• 5.  RE: Internship Advice

Posted 01-02-2017 12:31 PM
    Dear Daniel, not quite sure if you should be using the term "museum dictator" in your request for comments, unless of course the director goes by that title.  The description sounds as if it is a real "job" rather than an internship.  If you've been a volunteer for more than a year, then it might be time for you to turn it into a position - a good chat with the "dictator" may be a first step.  Good luck and happy 2017.  Cheers, Geri Thomas, artstaffing.com 

• 6.  RE: Internship Advice

Posted 01-03-2017 08:25 AM

Hello Daniel,

Kudos to you for pursuing and securing an internship this early in your academic career; and for making the most of your already established connection to this museum.

Though your message doesn't indicate it, I hope that you have shared the internship description with your advisor or a trusted faculty member at your school. They can help you determine if and how this (or any) internship fits with your academic goals.  One question to consider is " what will I know, or be able to do, at the end of the internship that I didn't know before?" 

Another question which should also be clear is who will be your primary mentor/supervisor during the internship? It's important that you have an open channel for clear and ongoing communication with that person so that you both are working towards mutually agreed upon goals and how they will be measured.

I wish you all the best in your new endeavor.      

--

Herbert S. Jones
    Volunteer & Intern Programs Manager
    Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
    hjones@mfa.org | 617.369.3040

http://www.mfa.org

• 7.  RE: Internship Advice

Posted 01-03-2017 09:03 AM

Hi, Herbert.

The internship description was created by the museum director. The person who's the primary supervisor is the chairperson of the History department. It is most likely that I will meet the chairperson when the semester starts. I'm very positive that I have to keep her on the loop on what I'm doing throughout the semester. 

The internship was reviewed and by the museum director, the head of History department, the internship coordinator, and my academic adviser.  

Thanks for your concern. Everything was well-organized before I accepted the internship.

-Daniel.

Daniel Williams
    Museum Volunteer
    Macomb IL