Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Accessibility Staff Positions

Posted 08-31-2018 01:41 PM
    Hey There!

I am wondering how many museums out there have one or more staff members who have "accessibility" in their titles, or have "accessibility" as a major job function in their position descriptions.  I'd also be curious to know what departments those folks live in.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sarah Sims

------------------------------
    Sarah Sims
    Manager, K-12 Education Programs
    Missouri History Museum
    Saint Louis MO
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Accessibility Staff Positions

Posted 09-03-2018 09:04 AM
    Hello!

My job title is Operations Manager for the Carnegie Science Center, but that includes overseeing Accessibility Initiatives. My role lives within Visitor Services and Operations. This is 4 days a week of my job.

The other day I work out of our museum system's central office out of the Diversity, Inclusion and Accessibility Office as the Accessibility Coach.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Justin

Justin Tognarine
    Operations Manager, Carnegie Science Center; Accessibility Coach, Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh
    Carnegie Science Center
    Pittsburgh PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Accessibility Staff Positions

Posted 09-04-2018 09:46 AM
    Ours "lives" in the Education department; accessibility initiatives are her domain as education coordinator, but she also works with the docents to schedule tours.

Carrie Hunnicutt
    Manager of Marketing & PR
    Meadows Museum - Southern Methodist University
    Dallas TX

• 4.  RE: Accessibility Staff Positions

Posted 09-05-2018 08:12 AM
    Hello,
    I am the Director of Access Initiatives at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York City. I am based in the Education Department and oversee a team of three full time educators: one Manager of Access Initiatives and two Museum Educators for Access Programs. 

While we are responsible for creating accessible programs and resources for visitors with disabilities (and veterans), we also work across the institution to provide staff training and support. We consult on exhibition design, public programming, hiring practices, marketing and strategic planning. I have found that this approach increases awareness and accountability at all levels. Accessibility is something that impacts everyone! 

Happy to talk more about my job. I love what I do!
    Best,
    Barbara

Barbara Johnson Stemler
    Director, Access Initiatives

Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum
    One Intrepid Square
    New York, NY 10036

• 5.  RE: Accessibility Staff Positions

Posted 09-07-2018 01:31 PM
    Thanks for posing the question, Sarah. I'm interested in seeing the responses. My position is Assistant Director of Accessibility and Lifelong Learning at the Art Institute of Chicago. I am in the adult learning environment of the education department (Learning and Public Engagement). Similar to Barbara at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, I develop and facilitate access programs and resources and advise across the museum. I do not have a support staff.

Best,
    Lucas

Lucas Livingston
    Assistant Director, Accessibility and Lifelong Learning
    Art Institute of Chicago
    llivingston@artic.edu

• 6.  RE: Accessibility Staff Positions

Posted 09-10-2018 09:53 AM
    As a small museum, we have no dedicated staff for access services - instead, it is everyone's responsibility. We are located at the world's foremost university for the deaf and hard of hearing, but all of our staff are also attuned to providing access for deafblind visitors and visitors with other disabilities.

We do a substantial amount of consulting work for museums looking to improve their accessibility to deaf and hard of hearing visitors - if anyone on this thread who works with accessibility is interested in this topic, please don't hesitate to drop me a note!

Meredith

Meredith Peruzzi
    Manager
    Gallaudet University Museum
    Washington DC

• 7.  RE: Accessibility Staff Positions

Posted 09-11-2018 10:47 AM
    ​Hi Sarah,
    At The Met, we currently have three staff positions devoted to accessibility/disability. We are in Education. I'm Senior Managing Educator for Accessibility, we have an Assistant Educator and a Program Coordinator. We develop programs, work with Education and other colleagues to ensure programs are inclusive, and work with departments across the museum to ensure accessibility for all visitors, for example looking at exhibition design and training staff.

I'll be very interested to see the results of your survey - there's far too little expertise in this field!

All best,
    Rebecca

Rebecca McGinnis
    Senior Managing Educator, Accessibility
    The Metropolitan Museum of Art
    New York NY