Open Forum

 View Only
  • 1.  Performing Rights Organizations & Museum Licenses

    Posted 06-10-2021 04:35 PM

    Hello – I am curious to see how many museums out there use music in their facility or at events and have licenses with all four of the Performing Rights Organizations (PRO). GMRO, ASCAP, BMI and SESAC are the four organizations and they are extremely aggressive in soliciting licenses.  I understand obtaining permission for the music use in a museum is a Federal Law, due to copyrighting. Does anyone use a service for streaming music that would cover licenses with all four of the PROs? I've been reading material from a company called Cloud Cover Music and it sounds like that is what they do. What insights can you all provide me with on this issue? Thank you!


    Diane Ingram, Supervisor

    Manatee County Agricultural Museum, Inc.

    For Angelina "Angel" Colonneso

    Manatee County Clerk of Circuit Court & Comptroller

    1015 6th St. West, Palmetto, FL  34221

    (941) 721-2034    FAX: (941) 721-6888


    "Pride in Service with a Vision to the Future"




  • 2.  RE: Performing Rights Organizations & Museum Licenses

    Posted 06-10-2021 04:45 PM
    My last museum had both ASCAP and BMI accounts. We paid BMI annually for any ambient music we used and paid ASCAP quarterly for live performances. 

    Diane Gutenkauf
    Get Outlook for iOS

  • 3.  RE: Performing Rights Organizations & Museum Licenses

    Posted 06-11-2021 10:34 AM

    Absolutely! Museums pay staff, designers, suppliers, artists, writers, editors, fabricators, plumbers, ---why wouldn't one pay the composers of the music they are using? Gone are the days of justified shoplifting in a musicians'/composer's store. Musicians and composers work for a living as well, as do Publishers of music, those who record and bring us the sound, songs, bumper music, and ambient music. There use to be a time when ASCAP agents would scour a city checking up on lounges, bars, and venues using music that enhance their business/exhibits/stages/bars, etc. They would issue an ASCAP decal to stick to your front door, which meant that you were proud to present ASCAP/BMI composers in your establishment. So not to sound too harsh, we all have to do the right thing and pay our yearly licenses so composers can make a decent living as well. - Paul Novosel, ASCAP, NY 802 Union Musician. P.S.

    Paul Novosel
    New York DC

  • 4.  RE: Performing Rights Organizations & Museum Licenses

    Posted 06-11-2021 11:37 AM
    Great question Diane Ingram....yes, you should take out a licenses with BMI and ASCAP.  I won't take the time to explain all the reasons here but the direct links for the User information  and how to apply are here below.

    BMI has the best explanations for understanding the process and cost.  You should have licenses with is not that expensive, but you want to budget and pay for it.  

    Thank you for all of your diligence

    Charmaine Jefferson
    Consultant/Service Provider
    The Museum Group
    Los Angeles CA

  • 5.  RE: Performing Rights Organizations & Museum Licenses

    Posted 06-14-2021 04:27 PM
    We currently pay for all four services. 
    I'm interested in anyone's thoughts on Cloud Cover - I hadn't heard of them before.

    Amy Smith
    Executive Director
    Bakersfield Museum of Art
    Bakersfield CA