Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Collections department structures

Posted 01-22-2021 09:54 AM
    I am curious to hear how other history museums (outdoor preferably) structure their collections and under what departments and reporting relationships to the President/Executive Director. We are a mid-sized museum with about 19 FTEs and a $1.7 million budget in 2021. We have a very limited collections budget and would like to develop an appropriate organizational structure for collections. The current departments we have include:

Programming - Education & Interpretation
    Community Relations
    Marketing/Communications
    Facilities & Security

Each department director reports to me as President. What would you suggest? I would love to hear all of your opinions. Thank you. 

--
    Ruth C. Haus
    President
    p:515.278.5286 x121
    w:www.LHF.org
    e:rhaus@lhf.org

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Collections department structures

Posted 01-25-2021 09:15 AM

Ms. Haus,

Hello – Happy Monday. We have a staff of about 65 FTE. The Collections Division is a separate division within the organization. The reporting structure is: President & CEO / Executive Vice President for Collections & Exhibitions / Vice President for Collections & Research / Collections Manager [prior to layoff resulting from COVID19, we had an Assistant Collections Manager]. Various archives, museum, library, and gardens (animals and living collections) are all members of two staff committees: Collections Management Committee, Collections Development Committee. There is a board-approved Collections Management Policy to cover care and maintenance of the collections. Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Michael Rose

Chief Mission Officer /

Executive Vice President for Collections and Exhibitions

He/him/his

130 West Paces Ferry Road NW

Atlanta, Georgia 30305

P  404.814.4043

F  404.814.4175

atlantahistorycenter.com

https://photos-1.dropbox.com/t/2/AAD3lNYmUf7FkKTy2ZvtgFEMeQWYDoG7Zfjv9OI6vxlKeg/12/380958457/png/32x32/1/_/1/2/AHC_logotype_e-signature.png/EKi70d4EGPcJIAIoAg/5MrvACb5LDHw-bVUrlaO-M0Zjeaib_eWO4BZt3hDQsQ?size=800x600&size_mode=3

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Collections department structures

Posted 08-30-2022 01:17 PM
    Hello Michael,

In addition to what you have shared, I wonder, as the first deputy director of collections at my newly chartered museum, how I might structure the day to day in the collections/registration department, and how to segregate the facilities department. Are there existing protocols out there that reference other departmental areas from insinuating their work into collections? I hope this makes sense.

------------------------------
    Cynthia Hawkins-Owen PhD
    Deputy Director
    Geneseo NY

• 4.  RE: Collections department structures

Posted 08-31-2022 06:11 AM
    We have a complicated structure and are a living history village.  We are devided into essentialy three streams.  Visitor Experience, Heritage Resources and admin and finance.  I am the Assistant Director of Heritage Resources reporting to the Acting Director of Visitor Experience.  Reporting to me is the Collections Coordinator who is reponsible for the day to day operations of the collections.  The acting Director of Visitor Experience reports to the CEO.

Evelyn Fidler
    Registrar
    Kings Landing Corporation
    Kings Landing Hist S NB