Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Strategies for Funding Increased Compensation

Posted 12-14-2017 10:38 AM
    I am co-writing an article which presents the rationale for an increase in museum salaries (I know - huzzah!). What would make the article stronger is examples from museums who have raised salaries (beyond COL), and found money within the budget to pay for these raises (the biggest challenge, it seems). If your museum has done this, and you can share your strategies, I'd love to speak with you in the next few weeks. Let me know and I'll message you individually.

------------------------------
    Dawn Salerno
    Deputy Director, Public Engagement & Operations
    Mystic Museum of Art
    Mystic CT
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Strategies for Funding Increased Compensation

Posted 12-15-2017 06:21 AM
    You may wish to speak with those who have successfully raised funds to endow positions and/or create endowments for professional development. These funds relieve the overall pressure on compensation and benefit all in the institution -- not just the individual whose position is endowed or who participates in professional development. I can connect you with a couple of our clients if you wish.

Laura MacDonald
    President
    Benefactor Group, LLC
    Columbus OH

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Strategies for Funding Increased Compensation

Posted 12-19-2017 11:47 AM
    HI Laura,
    Your offer to connect me with people who have raised endowments could be a start, thank you. I am aware that endowments relieve the pressure of raising operating funds every year, but all I've ever heard of were individual position endowments. If anyone has done departmental endowments, or other staff related ones, that could be interesting.

My email address is dsalerno@mysticmuseumofart.org if you want to make a cyber-introduction?

Dawn Salerno
    Deputy Director, Public Engagement & Operations
    Mystic Museum of Art
    Mystic CT

• 4.  RE: Strategies for Funding Increased Compensation

Posted 12-19-2017 12:03 PM
    Lots of nonprofit organizations are getting on board with endowments. Those endowments can be used in lots of ways, but are typically developed to be used for operations, as that's the hardest thing to fund. Operations covers salaries, professional development, and lots of other overhead expenses. Community foundations are an important part of this as they are often the fund "holders." You might check with some of the area community foundations near you for information on how organizations, museums particularly, are using their endowments.

Angie Albright
    Director
    Clinton House Museum
    Fayetteville AR

• 5.  RE: Strategies for Funding Increased Compensation

Posted 12-18-2017 12:25 PM

Another wrinkle to explore in the quest for sustainable wages in Museum Land:

Some museum employees pursuing better compensation run into challenges related to affiliation with governmental entities.  Museums such as those at state universities are staffed by people who are actually public employees (just like the football coaches, but without the exorbitant salaries).  Sometimes this is beneficial to employees (like when they receive legislatively mandated cost-of-living pay increases), but sometimes the structural framework of employee classification can put some hard limits on salaries, making it difficult to change compensation without also changing your job description.  This means that even if the museum has success getting additional funding from the private sector (donors, sponsors, etc.), they may not be allowed to spend it on their staff in the same ways that a private business can.

A significant effect of these structural limitations is that many museums are increasingly reliant on private contractors (whose pay is not limited by job titles or classifications and is instead a reflection of what the market will bear) to do things that their own staff already do (or used to do before downsizing eliminated their positions).  This can create a situation where the museum is paying what the work is actually worth, but is not paying their own staff to do it.  This allows administrators to follow the rules and stay within the compensation ranges dictated by governmental job classifications, since they're technically spending the money on stuff (goods and services) instead of staff (their own personnel).  

I haven't seen the math to allow me to say for certain whether or not this ultimately saves the museum (and thus the government which oversees it) money in the long run, but I have seen more than a few museum professionals who begin their careers as museum employees and then transition into independent contractors.  Is this issue being discussed much in the museum community, especially among those in museum leadership?  

Michael

Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions
    Bozeman MT