Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Projector Set Up

Posted 07-11-2017 05:24 PM
    ​​I have to set up an exhibit with 2 projectors shooting onto opposite walls of the same room. Each of the projectors interfere with the image from the other projector. They each cast shadows of the other projector, there is not enough room to prevent viewers creating shadows on the projection surface when they stand in the middle of the room and the bright light from the projector lenses create a hot spot above but still near the visual field for either one of the images. I've tried criss-crossing the projectors at extreme angles to each other (from opposite corners of the room) and that helps a little but it is still distracting.
    I am mounting both projectors from the ceiling. In order to make the images the size specified by the artist the projectors need to be at opposite ends of a rather small room. The images are not big enough if I put the projectors back to back. This means that the viewer will be looking directly at one of the projectors when the are also viewing the image on the opposite wall.  Does anyone have experience or ideas on how I can alter the projector arrangement or screen the lens from view so that they do not interfere with the image on the opposite wall?
    Thanks,
    Bill

------------------------------
    William Iverson
    Exhibition Coordinator
    Miami Dade College-Museum of Art & Design
    Miami FL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Projector Set Up

Posted 07-12-2017 06:58 AM
    Who is the artist?

[Christine] [Downing] [Independent Curator]
    Curator, Registrar, research
    ChristineChristineChristineDowningDowningChristine

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Projector Set Up

Posted 07-13-2017 05:26 PM

I don't know how much space you have to work with, and I've never tried it (hope to never have to) but there are methods using mirrors mounted in front of regular throw projectors to make them work like short throw projectors. Wouldn't work with every situation, but it might be worth looking into.

Good Luck!

Ronald Weaver

Lead Preparator

Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum

Sam Fox School of Design & Visual Arts

Washington University in St. Louis

Campus Box 1214

One Brookings Drive

St. Louis MO 63130-4899

p: 314.935.4175

f: 314.935.7282

ron_weaver@wustl.edu

• 4.  RE: Projector Set Up

Posted 07-12-2017 08:50 AM
    Hi Bill,

Is there somewhere in town where you could rent an ultra short-throw projector? I've used those in the past; they can be mounted just a few feet from the screen, so you don't have to cross projections, and visitors won't cast shadows unless they're right up against the screen. 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-1080p-smart-dlp-led-ultra-short-throw-projector-black/4656300.p?skuId=4656300

Good luck!

Daniel Samuelson-Roberts
    Exhibition Carpenter
    Minneapolis Institute of Art
    Minneapolis MN

• 5.  RE: Projector Set Up

Posted 07-12-2017 01:02 PM
    Hi Bill
    Perhaps you can use back-projection, and project each image onto a separate shim, translucent plexiglass, or other screen. Then the projection beam won't be in visitors eyes and they won't be able to see the projector. Good luck!
    Rita Elliott

Rita Elliott

• 6.  RE: Projector Set Up

Posted 07-12-2017 09:09 AM
    Look up deflector mirrors. They allow you to change the direction the image is projected, I.e. Backward, in this case, with both actual projectors pointed to the center of the room.

Will Meier
    Exhibitions
    Denver Art Museum

• 7.  RE: Projector Set Up

Posted 07-12-2017 09:12 AM
    Hi William, you may be able to solve this issue by using a "short throw" or "ultra short throw" projector (which I assume you are not currently using)
    Derya

• 8.  RE: Projector Set Up

Posted 07-13-2017 09:38 AM
    ​Thank you to all who replied so far. Short throw projectors are probably not in our budget although they are a good suggestion. Deflector mirrors have promise - we experimented with bouncing the image at 45 degrees and this could work. The image is backwards, but this can be handled in Photoshop because the videos are actually sequences of still images. We weren't able to get a 180 degree bounce of the image to work yet but this has promise. Rear projection screens won't work in this instance because the room does not allow enough space to bring in a screen and have a projector behind. I will continue to play around with all these ideas and reply back when we have a solution. If any other ideas come up, please post here. This is actually an historic exhibition so one artist is not involved, we will be having the independent curator for this exhibit review our experiments. The exhibit doesn't open for several months.
    Thanks again,
    Bill

William Iverson
    Exhibition Coordinator
    Miami Dade College-Museum of Art & Design
    Miami FL

• 9.  RE: Projector Set Up

Posted 07-14-2017 11:05 AM
    If you set the projector to rear view it will automatically reverse the image, without the need to alter the images in photoshop.

Roger Rowley
    Gallery Director
    Prichard Art Gallery - University of Idaho
    Moscow ID

• 10.  RE: Projector Set Up

Posted 07-13-2017 09:37 AM
    I agree with the use of the short-throw projectors.  The only difficulty with using these is that the cheapest are fixed zoom, meaning you don't have as much control over the size of the projection once you have the projector mounted.  If you're trying to hit a constrained target, they can be tricky.  Otherwise, it's a good choice in this case.  InFocus and BenQ make models that perform well.

Lee Bowles
    Exhibits Technical Design Manager
    Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
    Richmond VA