Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  UBIT Information

Posted 03-12-2017 10:23 AM
    I'm trying to educate our Board of Trustees about UBIT regulations. I have provided the IRS documentation and was wondering if anyone had links to any articles or discussions specific to museums to help them better  understand how these rules apply to our museum practices.Thanks.

------------------------------
    Chris Knasiak
    Museum Coordinator
    Motorcyclepedia
    Newburgh NY
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: UBIT Information

Posted 03-13-2017 09:50 AM
    There is a helpful discussion of UBIT, or Unrelated Business Income Tax at: Does My Nonprofit Need to Pay Tax? Understanding Unrelated Business Income Tax
    Non Profit News For Nonprofit Organizations | Nonprofit Quarterly remove preview
    Does My Nonprofit Need to Pay Tax? Understanding Unrelated Business Income Tax
    While nonprofits are, generally, tax-exempt, they must pay income tax when operating outside the scope of their exempt purposes. But determining what are an organization's exempt purposes is not always as clear as one might think, and distinguishing between related and unrelated activities can be tricky.
    View this on Non Profit News For Nonprofit Organizations | Nonprofit Quarterly >

Colin Windhorst PhD

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: UBIT Information

Posted 03-13-2017 12:26 PM
    The book I have written on museum law, which was published by Rowman & Littlefield in 2014 has an entire chapter on UBIT.  It also has a chapter on obtaining and maintaining tax exempt status as well as chapters on museum governance.

Marilyn Phelan PhD
    Paul Whitfield Horn Professor of Law Emeritus
    Texas Tech University
    Lubbock TX