Open Forum

View Only

RE: Overview of Museum Planning Process PDF ? 

11-10-2021 03:37 PM
Statistics
0 Favorited
2 Files
0 Shares
199 Downloads
Attachment(s)
jpeg file
Museum Planning LLC Process.002.jpeg   255 KB   1 version
Uploaded - 11-10-2021
pdf file
Museum Planning LLC Process.pdf   177 KB   1 version
Uploaded - 11-10-2021

Comments

11-11-2021 04:19 PM

Dear Mark:

Re Museum Planning LLC Process:

My concern may be included behind your words, but I am missing the SWOT [Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats—none of which is found in your text (other than one unrelated)] analysis that I believe is absolutely necessary well in advance for any such large undertaking.

Re “Planning Overview” graphic:

In the last column green Evaluation OR Institutional Assessment bubbles, please do not neglect ongoing & summative assessment of the mental, physical, family, & social health of staff and/or volunteers who have carried out this process.  This is a highly labour-intensive process & a rather stressful very high stakes one since they are spending big bucks & much money can be wasted if planning is not complete. 

E.g. just think of the tremendous amount of human effort involved in getting to construction completion & subsequent turnover of possession of the facility.  Also don’t forget the extreme public pressure that builds quickly at that point to be open to the public.  Before the construction phases the museum’s people already will be exhausted.  All of this is a recipe for burnout. 

Much more than “self-care” is absolutely necessary.  REST, RELAXATION, RECOVERY for the museum's people are critical.  See my review of Building Museums: A Handbook for Small & Midsize Museums by Robert Herskovitz et al. Material Culture: The Journal of the Pioneer America Society 48(1): 79-81 [substantial excerpt found at https://www.questia.com/library/journal/1P3-4000556711/building-museums-a-handbook-for-small-and-midsize ]  A 10 pp. PDF with my suggestions for improving any second edition of this title is found at https://miscellaneousmuseology.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/building-museums-recommendations-for-second-edition-by-thistle.pdf .

Never neglect strategic planning for museum workers.

Respectfully yours

Paul C. Thistle

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.