Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Mask policies after CDC lifting for vaccinated persons

• 1.  Mask policies after CDC lifting for vaccinated persons

Posted 05-24-2021 05:10 PM
    I'm surprised not to have found any discussion here about how institutions, since the CDC's recent lifting of mask requirements for vaccinated persons, are dealing with the resulting confusion. I actually find this issue the most difficult matter I've confronted in the past year and a half. (When there were webinars running out my ears last year, regarding questions of reopening to the public, etc., there seems to be a confused? silence now on this present issue.) Later this week, New Jersey will be the last state to lift its indoors mask mandate, so I would love to know how this is playing out at museums elsewhere. My frontline staff are strongly against any loosening of our mask requirement, but a poll of our members shows that two-thirds would not hesitate visiting the museum, if we lifted the mask requirement. I'm inclined to go with that data point, but would love to hear from other institutions. (Additionally, are your mask policies for on-site staff the same as for visitors?)

------------------------------
    Cleveland Johnson, Ph.D.
    President/CEO
    Morris Museum
    Morristown NJ
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Mask policies after CDC lifting for vaccinated persons

Posted 05-25-2021 09:15 AM
    I agree that that there is less guidance now as restrictions roll back. Our state (PA) issues press releases but no longer updates its public health website, which used to give very detailed instructions. There is a split here in staff, volunteers, and visitors such that it is hard to reach consensus. I also would welcome hearing what others have to say.

Beth Houting
    Executive Director
    Schwenkfelder Library & Heritage Center
    Pennsburg PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Mask policies after CDC lifting for vaccinated persons

Posted 05-26-2021 10:44 AM

As part of city government, we will be following their direction on mask policies.  They have coordinated with the county to be consistent so as not to confuse residents.  It states that:

Face Coverings

"Face Covering" shall mean a uniform piece of material that securely covers a person's nose and mouth and remains affixed in place without the use of one's hands, whether store-bought or homemade, concurrent with CDC guidelines.  Face coverings are optional for all employees and are recommended for employees who are not fully vaccinated. It is suggested that employees wear face coverings when dealing with the general public.

Harry Klinkhamer

Historical Resources Manager

City of Venice

941-486-2490

hklinkhamer@venicefl.gov

Venice Museum & Archives                 City of Venice

http://www.venicemuseum.org/       http://venicegov.com

Museums provide places of relaxation and inspiration.

And most importantly, they are a place of authenticity.
    - Thomas Campbell

• 4.  RE: Mask policies after CDC lifting for vaccinated persons

Posted 05-26-2021 02:18 PM
    California lifts its mandates on June 15th.  Since we have 60 docents (most in their 60's, 70's and 80's), we have decided to require masks.  We do not have a method of discerning who has been vaccinated and who has not, so we have opted to continue masks, social distancing and sanitizing.   We reopened last week and the response was overwhelmingly positive.  We had folks thanking us for taking precautions.  We only had two ladies choose not to come in.  Since our county has a low vaccination rate, we will continue to monitor Heath Department statistics and respond accordingly.

Dianna Anderson
    Curator
    Kern River Valley Historical Society Museum
    Kernville CA

• 5.  RE: Mask policies after CDC lifting for vaccinated persons

Posted 05-28-2021 12:55 PM
    I agree- it's really confusing, especially since OSHA has not yet chimed in on it. We just sent out a note to our volunteers explaining why we have not lifted the mask requirement; the short version is pretty much what others have said: our volunteers are in the most vulnerable age group, and we have no way of knowing who is vaccinated. Our priority is keeping our staff (volunteer & paid) safe, so we prefer to use caution. We are not in a hurry to eliminate masks; our response was more so they could explain to visitors if need be.
    Here is a really good article on the subject:

https://laborandemploymentlawupdate.com/2021/05/14/i-dont-want-to-wear-a-maskpart-3-land-of-the-mask-free-and-home-of-the-brave/

Also included in the note was a survey about when THEY would feel comfortable lifting the mask requirement.

Janeen Trevillyan
    Director
    Sedona Heritage Museum
    Sedona AZ

• 6.  RE: Mask policies after CDC lifting for vaccinated persons

Posted 05-31-2021 10:28 AM
    We are in Texas, where the state government has not been helpful to businesses, throwing the onus on us rather than to take a position of accountability. We said we would follow the CDC, and we all know what has happened with their policies, and then we said we would follow the City of Austin, and then they dropped the mask mandate.

Our new policy is that staff must be masked when in public-facing areas (we are all vaccinated and do not require masks in our offices), and all children’s programming continues to be distanced. We have lifted the mask mandate for those who are vaccinated, and that is by the honor code.

I have noticed that probably 80% of our visitors continue to wear masks. I think having our staff model that behavior makes people feel better about leaving their masks on.

I agree it’s a tough situation.

Rowena Dasch
    Neill-Cochran House Museum
    Austin, TX

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: Mask policies after CDC lifting for vaccinated persons

Posted 06-01-2021 07:59 AM

In Virginia, the governor lifted mask mandates in mid-May (and made the announcement rather quickly and effective the next day, leaving little room to prep). We kept our mask mandate for an extra two weeks to evaluate our policies, talk to staff, and talk to area colleagues. Ultimately, given the rates in Virginia, the rates and statuses of staff vaccinations, and the policies of other area organizations, we lifted our mask mandate and capacity restrictions this past Saturday (May 29). By that point, staff were expressing higher -- though still not complete -- confidence and comfort in removing the mask mandate.

We switched masking to "Masks optional for COVID vaccinated guests" and "Masks Required for unvaccinated guests." Fully vaccinated staff also had the option of wearing masks, and many are still doing so until they are comfortable, and enhanced cleaning and plexi barriers at desks remain in place in public areas. It's been a relief for frontline staff also not to need to enforce masking policies. We're tracking visitor behavior and staff comfort, in case we need to alter anything. So far most visitors are keeping their masks, but it's decreasing each week. 

We also are still requiring masks for any student- or youth-facing program, both of all participants and staff. We're following our state Department of Health guidelines for masks at schools for our protocol (since masking varies at schools by state), which is similar to what other area organizations are doing. 

Happy to talk more if needed. 

Stephanie

Stephanie Arduini
    Deputy Director, and Director, Edward L. Ayers Center for Civil War & Emancipation Studies
    American Civil War Museum
    Richmond VA

• 8.  RE: Mask policies after CDC lifting for vaccinated persons

Posted 06-02-2021 11:17 AM
    This issue is an interesting case study on how to formulate policy is a quickly changing environment.  We also are in Texas and a part of a public university.  Over the past 60 days we have moved from having masks required for all staff and visitors unless working alone in your own office, through requiring masks when working with the public, to no masks required for staff or visitors except as required for children's programs.  These changes have been driven by  state and institutional policies as conditions have improved.

The public has been polite and cooperative about transitioning along with us.  Masks are an individual choice but it is rare now to see any visitor with a mask.  In our case, that may have a good deal to do with the fact that we are both an indoor and outdoor facility.  With both national and state level guidance loosening across the country, it seems that the best plan is to formulate our policies according to local (or regional) conditions and guidance as conditions seems to still have a wide variance across the country.

Best of luck to all,
    Deborah

Deborah Bigness
    Manager of Site Operations, Lubbock Lake National Historic Landmark
    Museum of Texas Tech University
    Lubbock TX
    deborah.bigness@ttu.edu

• 9.  RE: Mask policies after CDC lifting for vaccinated persons

Posted 06-08-2021 12:21 PM

Florida has been pretty lax at the state level regarding the mask mandate. There was still some pushback when local business (stores, restaurants, etc.) required masks. We're still following the CDC guidelines, and here's how that played out with our updated mask signage (which stated vaccinated visitors did not need to wear a mask, but visitors who were not vaccinated should still wear a mask).

1. Our county, which the majority of our visitors (post-COVID) come from, only had a 30% vaccination rate the week the mandate changed.
    2. Less than 5% of our visitors wore a mask after the mandate change.

I think it's clear what happened/continues to happen with regards to the mask wearing in our local area.

Best,

Marc

Marc Levitt MLS
    Archivist
    National Naval Aviation Museum
    NAS Pensacola FL

• 10.  RE: Mask policies after CDC lifting for vaccinated persons

Posted 06-09-2021 09:36 AM
    We are also in Florida, further south from Marc, in the Tampa Bay area. We have a sign out front that states "Masks are encouraged for visitors over the age of 6" and "Please use hand sanitizer upon entering museum." We have a table with a box of masks, should anyone need one. We have only been open without appointments since the beginning of May. I would say that 3/4 of our visitors are wearing masks and when visitors are in the building, staff puts their masks on, primarily to help visitors feel more comfortable.

Diane Ingram
    Museum Supervisor
    Manatee County Agricultural Museum
    Palmetto FL