Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  ISO examples: Museums aiding communities during disasters

Posted 09-24-2021 01:38 PM
    Hello all, I'm on yet another research quest, this time looking for stories of museums that have used their resources to assist their communities during disasters: extreme heat or cold events; floods, fires; storms; earthquakes, etc.

Some examples I've found so far: the International Museum of Art and Science in McAllen, Texas, throwing open its doors to the community as a warming center during last spring's ice storm; The Louisiana Children's Museum taking making itself available as classroom space to students whose school was damaged by Hurricane Ida;

Philbrook Museum teamed up with Sand Springs Community Services to collect and distribute essential items for people affected by flooding in 2019. (And many great stories of museums acting as vaccine sites, lending scientific equipment for coronavirus testing and distributing food and supplies during the pandemic) More of all these, please!

Still searching for examples of museums that make themselves available as safe spaces to the community as cooling centers during heat waves, or as safe evacuation spaces in the event of flooding, fire, earthquakes etc. And especially interested in museums that have integrated their resources into local/regional plans for emergency response in terms of providing for the safety of the public.

Welcome stories about your museums, and also links to any articles/news you have found online.

Reply on this thread, or email me at emerritt (at) aam-us.org. Thank you very much!

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Merritt
    VP Strategic Foresight & Founding Director, CFM
    American Alliance of Museums
    Arlington VA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: ISO examples: Museums aiding communities during disasters

Posted 09-27-2021 01:12 PM

The Museum of Flight in Seattle is a distribution center for COVID PPE We received a very large shipment of masks and hand sanitizer from FEMA, which we have been slowly distributing to local institutions, and also to relief efforts after a recent local apartment fire left many families homeless. We also offered our parking lot as a mass vaccination site though local authorities did not take us up on it. While we were closed to the public, we did regularly serve as a venue for blood drives.

Geoff

Geoff Nunn, (He/Him/His) | Exhibit Developer / Adjunct Curator for Space History
    The Museum of Flight
    9404 East Marginal Way S
    Seattle, WA 98108
    Work: +1 (206) 768-7164
    www.museumofflight.org

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: ISO examples: Museums aiding communities during disasters

Posted 09-28-2021 11:39 AM
    Hi Elizabeth,

I'm not sure if these qualify as disaster since they're man-made, but in terms of the museums helping first responders, Liberty Science Center was part of the staging area for the 9/11 teams.  And in LA, the California Science Center used one of its buildings (originally built as an Armory) as a base for the police to mobilize after the Rodney King riots.  I wasn't working at either place during those particular times but can help put you in touch with others who were if you want more details.

Sounds like a fascinating project,
    Barbara

Barbara Punt
    President
    Punt Consulting Group
    Redondo Beach CA
    javascript:AddSignatureVariable('barbara@puntconsulting.com');

• 4.  RE: ISO examples: Museums aiding communities during disasters

Posted 09-29-2021 08:25 AM

Barbara Punt mentioned Liberty Science Center in connection with the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack on New York City. https://rka-learnwithus.com/when-disaster-strikes-assistance-by-museums-nearby/ recalls the Center's multiple roles as a resource to the next-of-kin and surrounding communities.

Emlyn Koster, PhD

geologist | museologist | humanist

koster.emlyn@gmail.com 

• 5.  RE: ISO examples: Museums aiding communities during disasters

Posted 09-27-2021 02:32 PM
    Thank you Elizabeth. Always inspiring.

The Museum of American Revolution in Philadelphia opened their doors and fed the neighbors who lost their homes to a massive fire across the street.  This was pre COVID.

The Museum of Science in Boston was also a vaccine site

Joyce Lee FAIA LEED Fellow WELL AP
    President, IndigoJLD Green + Health
    Philadelphia PA

• 6.  RE: ISO examples: Museums aiding communities during disasters

Posted 09-29-2021 08:39 AM
    Hi everyone,
    the remarkable National Justice Museum in the UK has been doing many programs, events and online initiatives throughout the past year and a half: https://www.nationaljusticemuseum.org.uk/
    A favorite of mine is called Workshops in an Envelope. 3,000 were delivered to people's home during lockdown including prisoners in 23 hour a day cell isolation. These object-based making kits related to museum content resulted in artworks that will from a new exhibition in the upcoming year. Prison participants have responded to the initiative as being almost life saving. The museum is one of the best examples of co production and participation I've encountered anywhere, especially during covid. Highly recommend checking it out and looking up their Programme Director Andrea Hadley-Johnson.

Brenda Cowan
    Professor
    Graduate Exhibition Design - SUNY Fashion Institute of Technology
    Brooklyn NY

• 7.  RE: ISO examples: Museums aiding communities during disasters

Posted 09-29-2021 01:08 PM
    Hi Elizabeth,

I thought of other examples.  Some museums and science centers used their Makerspaces to create PPE during the pandemic.  I'm aware of the Arizona Science Center's Create doing this, and maybe this post will remind others to contact you with the names of others.

Cheers,
    Barbara

Barbara Punt
    President
    Punt Consulting Group
    Redondo Beach CA
    javascript:AddSignatureVariable('barbara@puntconsulting.com');

• 8.  RE: ISO examples: Museums aiding communities during disasters

Posted 09-30-2021 08:32 AM
    FYI--my thanks to everyone for the fabulous responses. I am responding to folks individually, so that the replies don't snowball the thread.

Elizabeth Merritt
    VP Strategic Foresight & Founding Director, CFM
    American Alliance of Museums
    Arlington VA