Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Group tour systems recommendations

Posted 10-15-2019 05:53 PM

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for a tour group system by which someone wears a mike/transmitter and attendees wear little receivers so they can easily hear the tour guide. 

I'm asking for a client who is finding it hard to tour larger groups (over 30) through their museum.

Thanks,
    Carolynne

------------------------------
    Carolynne Harris
    Principal
    Carolynne Harris Consulting
    Denver CO
    www.carolynneharris.com
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Group tour systems recommendations

Posted 10-16-2019 09:07 AM
    Hi Carolynne,

My institution currently uses Orpheo devices for tour groups. Our maximum number of tour attendees is 30, so I'm not sure about groups larger than that, but the devices seem to work just fine.

~Nicole

Nicole Torres
    Interpretive Guide
    National September 11 Memorial & Museum
    New York NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Group tour systems recommendations

Posted 10-16-2019 09:53 AM
    Check out the thread Portable assistive listening devices started on 4-16-2019.

Lucas Livingston
    Assistant Director, Accessibility and Lifelong Learning
    Art Institute of Chicago
    llivin@artic.edu

• 4.  RE: Group tour systems recommendations

Posted 10-16-2019 10:35 AM
    Hi Carolyn,

My wife has used both of these systems in her tour guiding business and they work fairly well. 
    • What we have found is that the receiver units do tend to disappear. 
    • The second issue is that they have a life-span of about four years. 
    • A third issue is that they use the same bandwidth as all wireless electronic devices and that the Police jam these frequencies in public spaces. 
    • Even wireless security devices like cameras can interfere with your transmission. 

You can look at the following devices: 
    From Audio Conexus: Tour Guide Systems 

From VOX network USA:  Home

Robert Dinkelmann
    IT Services
    Museum of American Finance
    New York NY

• 5.  RE: Group tour systems recommendations

Posted 10-16-2019 11:12 AM
    Hi Carolynne,

Orpheo has been serving the industry for 26 years with equipment including multi media guides, audio guides and live guide equipment.  Our live guide devices generally last 5-8 years, uses any of 50 user selectable channels so it doesn't interefer with other audio transmissions, can transmit up to 300 feet with an unlimited amount of users.  Our devices are in use in small farms in Amish country, the 9/11 Memorial, Grand Central Terminal, The Versailles Palace and other kep museums and attractions.  Detailed information can be found here.  Let us know if I, or one of my staff, can be of further assistance.  We cheerfully can supply a demo if that is needed.

Sincerely,

Myron Baer
    Managing Director, Orpheo USA
    212 464 8255

[Myron] [Baer]
    [Managing Director]
    [Orpheo USA]
    [New York] [NY]
    [Myron.Baer@orpheo.us]

• 6.  RE: Group tour systems recommendations

Posted 10-17-2019 08:54 AM
    Hi Carolynne:

We have used this system at a number of museums over the years with great success:

Bob

• 7.  RE: Group tour systems recommendations

Posted 10-18-2019 05:02 PM
    Hello Carolynne,

ListenUp Audio has a couple group tour options that sound like a perfect match for your client.

1) Our DigiBee system is a lightweight digital group tour system that is simple to use and very mobile with a portable charging solution.

2) Our OmniGuide system is a docent lead group tour system and self-guided audio tour hardware in one.  The museum can invest in and support one hardware solution that works with a number of different types of visitors.  As a group tour system it allows the docent to speak directly to the group while also giving the docent the ability to transmit  pre-recorded content to all visitors to compliment what they are saying.  The docent can even trigger content for the group which would play on each visitor's device in the language they choose.  This would be useful in cases when visitors must stay with a docent, even when the group may not speak the same language.  When set for self-guided mode, the same player can be used as a traditional random access (or triggered) audio guide.

More details of these two systems can be found:
    DigiBee - https://www.listenupaudio.com/services/technology/digibee/
    OmniGuide - https://www.listenupaudio.com/services/technology/omniguide-2/

The DigiBee system is currently being used by the Denver Museum of Art for museum tours, as assisted listening devices in group education, as for programs outside the museum's walls.  The OmniGuide solution is used for docent lead tours at institutions such as the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Naples Botanical Garden.

By working with ListenUp Audio your client would not only get a partner who supports the hardware, but a company that has over 20 years experience setting up, running and supporting audio tour and docent tour operations, as well as, creating award winning productions.  We take great pride in our on-going support for our clients both technically and operationally.   We strive to provide these solutions at extremely competitive prices.

I would love to hear more specifics about this project so I can better fine tune a solution that would work best for you and your client.

Best,

Jared Crellin
    ListenUp Audio
    jared@listenupaudio.com
    (617) 620-1210

Jared Crellin
    Account Director
    ListenUp Audio
    Atlanta GA