Open Forum

Expand all | Collapse all

Art Related Movies

• 1.  Art Related Movies

Posted 03-09-2022 09:34 AM
    Edited by Bobbi Hapgood 03-09-2022 12:09 PM
    Hello, 
    Excuse me if this post comes twice - I thought I had posted yesterday, but don't see it.  

Our museum is trying to pull together a list of all the great art-related movies, feature films and documentary films, where the focus is directly related to art, art security/theft, artists lives, as well as movies that have art strongly prominent in the background.  We hope to begin having movie events.

Love to hear your favorites?  You can either just respond or share on this google doc: Art Related Movies

Thanks in advance for your help developing a list!

------------------------------
    Bobbi Hapgood
    President/CEO Ryobi Foundation
    Powers Art Center
    Carbondale CO
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-10-2022 07:40 AM
    First, a Van Gogh quartet:  Lust For Life, Van Gogh (French, 'R'), Loving Vincent & At Eternity's Gate
    Nightwatching (Rembrandt drama)
    The Mystery of Picasso (documentary)
    Woman In Gold
    Girl With A Pearl Earring
    My Left Foot
    Big Eyes
    Peggy Guggenheim - Art Addict (documentary)
    Frida ('R')
    Black Art - In the Absence of Light (documentary)
    Mr. Turner ('R')

And, in the theft/con arena:
    The two versions of The Thomas Crown Affair (newer is 'R')
    The Anderson Tapes
    How To Steal A Million
    The Art Of The Steal
    Made You Look
    The Monuments Men
    The Art Dealer (French)
    The Best Offer ('R')

John Wharton
    Museum Docent &
    Retired Museum Professional
    Bonita Springs FL
    http://linkedin.com/in/john-wharton-9629149

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-11-2022 06:30 AM
    (Sorry, scratch The Anderson Tapes - wrong type of heist.)

John Wharton
    Museum Docent &
    Retired Museum Professional
    Bonita Springs FL
    http://linkedin.com/in/john-wharton-9629149

• 4.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-11-2022 12:58 PM
    Here are some more movies/tv shows to add to the list:

Woman in gold - great movie 
    White Collar - tv show
    Oceans 8 - takes place at Met Gala
    Bean - this movie is Historical!!!!
    Entrapment - someone may have already mentioned this one

Melisa

• 5.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-10-2022 12:23 PM
    Hello,

I have seen 'Renoir' (real. Gilles Bourdos) a few years ago.
    Others I found:
    Gauguin (by Edouard Deluc with Vincent Cassel)
    Artemisia (by Agnes Merlet)
    The Mystery of Picasso (by Henri-Georges Clouzot)

Marjolaine Brabander
    Exhibit Designer
    Double Dare Design
    North Vancouver BC

• 6.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-10-2022 01:49 PM
    Where to begin!

The Artist is Present (Marina Abramovic)
    Sky Ladder
    I Shot Andy Warhol
    Pollock
    Camille Claudel
    Exit Through the Gift Shop
    Basquiat

(Hope I didn't duplicate too many.)

Michelle Sass
    Visitor Engagement Navigator
    Missouri History Museum
    Saint Louis MO

• 7.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-11-2022 06:13 AM
    I'll add in
    Topkapi (1964)
    Agatha's Christie's Murder in Mesopotamia which essentially takes place at the excavations at Ur.

Chrisso Boulis

Chrisso Boulis
    Registrar Records
    Penn Museum
    T: 215-898-4088

• 8.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-11-2022 10:14 AM
    Edited by Michelle Sass 03-11-2022 05:18 PM
    Thought of a few more:

Henry Darger - In the Realms of the Unreal
    Finding Vivian Maier
    Beauty is Embarrassing (Wayne White)
    Beyond the Visible (Hilma af Klint)
    Ten Films: Oskar Fischinger (though not so much about art as they are art / animation by an artist)

if you're willing to consider horror:
    Velvet Buzzsaw
    and of course, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Michelle Sass
    Visitor Engagement Navigator
    Missouri History Museum
    Saint Louis MO

• 9.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-10-2022 03:36 PM
    Documentaries and bio pics are great, but I'm here following for the instances where famous art makes a cameo in the background.

The recent version of Candyman is about a fictional artist, but pulls from many recognizable sources. There is a whole scene set in the SF MoMA around a Rothko at the end of the Antman movie.

What about TV shows with loads of art references in the background? Bojack Horseman is loaded with hilarious spoofs of famous artworks in the background of practically every scene. Season three of Netflix's Daredevil heavily features works of contemporary art in Kingpin's penthouse suite. 

Christina Elliott
    Associate Curator of Education
    Oklahoma State University Museum of Art
    Stillwater OK

• 10.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-11-2022 07:05 AM
    Edited by Sarah Lima 03-11-2022 07:06 AM
    Ocean's Twelve! Danny & the gang are challenged to pull off a heist of the Fabergé "Coronation" egg from the Galleria D'Arte Di Roma (filmed from composite sets, not in the actual museum). This one brings me great joy, especially because of phenomenal cameo comedic chemistry by Julia Roberts and Bruce Willis in a key portion of the film. 

What a fun discussion. I'm saving all of these for an ongoing secret museum movies film series with loved ones. 

Sarah Lima
    SITES|SA 
    Washington, DC

• 11.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-11-2022 11:38 AM
    Gosh! Older folks in the conversation might remember: there was a woman who presented a couple of times at AAM in the 1990s about museums in movies, and she had wonderful long lists that surely included movies specifically focused on art. I CANNOT call up her name but I corresponded with her a few times, pre-email. I think she was in California; I don't recall if she ever published her work. Great resource if she and/or her materials can be found. If I saved her lists I'll be back to you -- will look in storage... -- Beau (Elizabeth) Vallance, former art museum educator, retired from teaching at Indiana University

Sent from my iPad

• 12.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-15-2022 08:37 PM
    The Hideaways with Ingrid Bergman filmed at the Met based on the Newberry Award wining book From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs Basil E Frankweiler is available on You Tube.

Barbara Fleisher Zucker PhD
    Retired

• 13.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-14-2022 02:16 AM

"Museum Hours," an independent feature by Jem Cohen about a grieving woman who befriends a museum guard. Highly recommended.
    "Rembrandt," a 1934 biopic with Charles Laughton, Alexander Korda, dir.
    "Summer Hours," by Olivier Assayas, some call it a masterpiece; I found it unwatchable.
    "Who the Bleep is Jackson Pollack," a documentary about authenticating a possible Pollack found in a flea market--quite entertaining
    "La Chienne" by Jean Renoir, remade by Fritz Lang as "Scarlet Street," about an amateur painter who gets mixed up with the wrong people. Both versions are quite wonderful.
    "Topkapi," a heist film at the Istanbul museum; Jules Dassin, dir.
    "Never Look Away," based on the life of Gerhard Richter; Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, dir.
    "Animal Crackers," a Marx Brothers film whose plot involves a painting forgery/theft. There really isn't all that much about the painting in the film, but it does include Gourcho's finest moment ever: an extended send-up of Eugene O'Neill's "Strange Interlude." (O'Neill unsuccessfully sued.)

Enjoy!
    --Andrew Gurian, New York City

Andrew Gurian

• 14.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-11-2022 07:43 AM
    The indie movie "Love Is Strange" uses the work of Fairfield Porter to define the main character, who is an artist.  We were considering putting together a show of the actual works painted for artist related movies...the false Jackson Pollocks, the false Fairfield Porters, etc. ...and the mise en scene works in movie backgrounds...The director notes for Love Is Strange concerning the search for art work is very revealing. IAM/Long Island

Mary Lou Cohalan
    Director

• 15.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-11-2022 09:05 AM
    I haven't seen it in a long time, but I think Midnight in Paris has lots of famous artwork in it. It definitely introduces a lot of famous artists.

Sarah Rosenkrans
    Exhibit and Education Assistant
    Indiana University Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
    Bloomington IN

• 16.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-11-2022 11:01 AM
    Edited by Jillian Slane 03-11-2022 11:01 AM
    Such a great post!! - I'm following just for my own self-serving reasons. I love a good art movie. 

One of my favorites is "Troublemakers: The Story of Land Art" (2015 documentary)
    "The Fall of the House of Usher" (1960) - a Vincent Price film that featured art by the great outsider artist Burt Shonberg
    "The Goldfinch" (2019) - an interesting take about an art heist and fraud. It was panned by critics but I enjoyed it (mostly because it stayed true to the book)

Jillian Slane

• 17.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-14-2022 08:09 AM
    I would add to this amazing list a fun film for the "great art in the background" theme: Ferris Bueller's Day Off. There's that wonderful scene in which the truants visit the Art Institute of Chicago. Seurat's "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte" is prominently featured.

Amy Estes
    Director of Marketing and Communications
    Bard Graduate Center Gallery
    New York NY

• 18.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-14-2022 08:58 AM
    A few more:

The Agony and the Ecstasy
    Tim's Vermeer
    Closed Mondays ( an early claymation short about an art museum)
    Art School Confidential (movie based on Daniel Clowes' comic story about his time at Pratt Institute)

Ian Breheny
    Exhibit Designer
    Florida Museum of Natural History - University of Florida
    Gainesville FL

• 19.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-14-2022 09:15 AM
    Hello Bobbi! Great thread!

I put my 2cents worth on the excel document you shared. 

Have you come across this neat website? http://www.paintingsinmovies.com/
    So cool!

Let us know how your movie events go!

Lisa Ortega-Pol, MFA
    Museum Educator
    Museo de Historia, Antropología y Arte
    Universidad de Puerto Rico
    San Juan PR

• 20.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-14-2022 03:59 PM
    The woman from the 1990s+ with great lists of museums in film and literature was Barbara Zucker, in St Louis (not California).  I have  her 1996 and 2001 bibliographies of children's museum books, but her August 2001 cover letter refers to a 1996 session and "two previous bibliographies of adult titles, the museum in film and the museum in mysteries" which I don't have though I remember the sessions, really fun.  I've written to her, hoping her 2001 email is still good, and will report if I learn anything. I'm sending this incomplete information now as a lead, in case this excellent conversation comes to an end before I learn more. -- Beau Vallance, retired but I may print out this whole thread for personal use, it's been great

Elizabeth Vallance PhD
    Associate Professor Emeritus
    Bloomington IN

• 21.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-15-2022 06:34 AM
    "The Red Violin" is fantastic in terms of object lifetimes and the concept of access vs. preservation. Also reads like a thriller in certain respects due to the research aspect. It has an R-rating so bear this in mind for viewing events.

Franky Moore
    Student

• 22.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-15-2022 09:52 AM
    Edited by Douglas Flandro 03-15-2022 10:22 AM
    There is a lovely scene in Little Man Tate (1991) when a boy discusses Vincent Van Gogh's, Irises (1889). 

Douglas Flandro
    Exhibit Designer
    Cambridge Seven Associates, Inc.
    Cambridge MA

• 23.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-15-2022 10:18 AM
    Hi AAM Friends - Adding The Thomas Crown Affair (from 1999) to this list.

Casey Wigglesworth
    Assistant Vice President
    Huntington T. Block Insurance Agency An AON Company
    Washington DC

• 24.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-16-2022 07:39 AM
    Russian Ark

Christopher Graham
    guest curator
    American Civil War Museum
    Richmond VA

• 25.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-16-2022 09:35 AM
    A 2015 documentary by French documentary filmmaker  Brigitte Chevet about the heroic work of Rose Valland in secretly keeping records of the artworks stolen by the Nazis and then assisting the Monuments Men in their recovery after the end of World War II.

Martha Katz-Hyman
    Independent Curator
    Newport News, VA

• 26.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-16-2022 12:48 PM
    I added The Rape of Europa to the list. An excellent portrayal of the Nazi plunder of much artwork during WWII and the efforts at saving them.

Madelaine Zadik
    Botanic Garden Consultant

• 27.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 03-17-2022 08:48 AM
    The Maysles Brothers film Running Fence is my favorite art documentary. The woman who testifies at a council hearing comparing temporary art to cooking a great meal that disappears, the rancher who says "I think I'll come up here and sleep under the fence" are inspiring.

And their Valley Curtain film on Christo's previous project also was nominated for an academy award.

Joseph Newland
    Director of Publishing
    The Menil Collection
    Houston TX

• 28.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 04-25-2022 02:01 PM
    Boom For Real: The Late Teenage Years of Basquiat - by Sara Driver, is a really inspiring look into Basqiat's early career and is loaded with many people from the late 70s/early 80s art scene in lower Manhattan.

Travis Johansen
    Exhibition Designer
    Memorial Art Gallery of Rochester
    Rochester NY

• 29.  RE: Art Related Movies

Posted 05-06-2022 01:33 PM
      |   view attached
    Hi,
    Attached is a list of movies I share with my students.

Raul Manzano, Ph.D.

Visiting Assistant Professor

Visual Arts Mentor

Raul.Manzano@esc.edu

Instagram: @raulmanzanophd

Facebook: Facebook

Linkedin: Raul Manzano | LinkedIn

Raul Manzano
    New York NY

Attachment(s)

docx
    Movies.docx   60 KB 1 version