Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Safe Construction Materials for Museum Expansion

Posted 07-05-2018 02:33 PM
    Hello All,

The museum I work at has applied for an NEH grant for an expansion of our current building and I'm trying to find out what types of construction materials are not good to use in a museum. I've been able to find several resources relating to case construction but haven't really found anything that outlines what general construction materials (drywall, etc.) are safe/not safe to use in a museum. Of course, materials that aren't good for museum cases won't be good for general construction but I don't want to overlook anything. Any help with this is greatly appreciated!

-Elizabeth Neucere

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Neucere
    Museum of the Coastal Bend Victoria College
    Victoria TX
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Safe Construction Materials for Museum Expansion

Posted 07-06-2018 06:50 AM
    A book that I have found particularly helpful is Building Materials for the Environmentally Hypersensitive revised in 2005 by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.  It is available from them as a PDF (http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2017/schl-cmhc/NH15-90-2005-eng.pdf) or from Amazon in hard copy.  It is a bit dated but should give you a good starting point to explore further.

Good luck.

Donia

Donia Conn
    Preservation Consultant for Cultural Heritage Collections
    Book and Paper Conservator
    bookconservator@yahoo.com
    315-396-3326
    doniaconn.com

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Safe Construction Materials for Museum Expansion

Posted 07-09-2018 09:40 AM
    Elizabeth,

I've found Pamela Hatchfield's Pollutants in the Museum Environment (Archetype Publications 2002) helpful in identifying materials and ingredients that could be harmful to art and people, particularly materials that off-gas over long periods of time.

Make sure that your contract with your construction company requires them to submit proposed materials in advance for your review and approval. Often it's the adhesives and finishing materials that produce noxious results. And do find a consulting conservator or materials science expert who can help you analyze the content of proposed building materials for the duration of the project.

All the best for success,
    Ann

• 4.  RE: Safe Construction Materials for Museum Expansion

Posted 07-10-2018 10:45 AM
    Check out the SAA Standard for Archival Facilities.  Much of its guidance applies to museum construction, including the chapters on Building Construction and Materials and Finishes and the appendix on "Prohibited Materials."  Completed in 2009, it is currently undergoing revision to be a US-Canadian standard for archival facilities.  Feel free to contact me with questions.  Archival and Special Collections Facilities: Guidelines for Archivists, Librarians, Architects, and Engineers.
    Archival and Special Collections Facilities: Guidelines

MICHELE F. PACIFICO
    Archival Facilities Consultant
    Jackson, WY/Washington, DC
    301-908-8720 
    martinpacifico@comcast.net
    www.pacificoarchivalconsulting.com

• 5.  RE: Safe Construction Materials for Museum Expansion

Posted 07-11-2018 11:51 AM
    You might also want to check out a new CCI (Canadian Conservation Institute) publication -

Products used in Preventive Conservation, by John Tetreault
    Technical Bulletin 32
    a free version is available online at: https://canada.ca/en/conservation-institute/services/conservation-preservation-publications/technical-bulletins/products-used-preventive-conservation.html 

Also, the AIC (the American Institute for Conservation) now has a Materials Working Group as part of their Collections Care Network. This group of allied professionals is actively discussing materials choice, standards, specifications, and resources! 

Hope this helps!
    Best wishes,
    Lisa

Lisa Goldberg
    Goldberg Preservation Services, LLC
    Corning NY

• 6.  RE: Safe Construction Materials for Museum Expansion

Posted 07-27-2018 09:59 AM
    Unless you plan on designing and building this addition yourself, you should consider using an architect experienced in museum design.  There are a great many considerations that factor into material selection, such as local building codes.  Note that I said "local building codes".  They vary tremendously depending on location.  

It's not just materials you have to worry about.  What effects do different kinds of lighting have on certain artifacts long term?  What would a fire suppression sprinkler do to a room containing rare documents?  There is quite a bit to consider.

Also, a reputable architect will be on hand to make sure the contractor actually builds as spec'ed out in the plans.

While it doesn't hurt to be informed by checking out the documents that others have recommended, building design and material selection is a very big subject.  One that you're not going to learn in casual reading.

Bill Browne
    Westlake LA