Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Live animal collections

Posted 09-29-2020 04:25 PM
    Hello, 

I am the collection manager for Carnegie Museum of Natural History's live animal collection. I'm in the process of preparing AAM documentation for our next cycle, and it's the first time we've approached this process with a living collection. I've been attempting to reach out to other museums that house live animals to get some general information, but I'm having a really difficult time identifying museums that have animal collections. I'm interested in learning about how other institutions approach AAM documentation (and potentially AZA for those with dual membership), specifically for living collections. 

If your institution has live animals, I'm interested in chatting about documentation as well as your general approach to programming with live animals during covid. 

Leslie

------------------------------
    Leslie Wilson
    Onsite Programs Manager
    Carnegie Museum of Natural History
    Pittsburgh PA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Live animal collections

Posted 09-30-2020 07:06 AM
    You might try aquaria.

Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this email and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this email and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by email and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Live animal collections

Posted 09-30-2020 09:20 AM
    Leslie,

My name is Melissa Sarver and I am the Director of Guest Relations at COSI. I would love to connect you with my colleague who manages our living collections. Please e-mail me at: msarver@cosi.org

Thank you!

Melissa Sarver
    Director of Guest Relations
    COSI
    Columbus OH

• 4.  RE: Live animal collections

Posted 09-30-2020 04:57 PM
    Hi Leslie,

I would suggest contacting the Zoo Registrars Association (ZRA) https://zooregistrars.org/.  I once did a presentation for them at one of their conferences, and I learned a lot about managing live animal collections at that conference.

Elise

Elise LeCompte
    Registrar
    Florida Museum of Natural History - University of Florida
    Gainesville FL

• 5.  RE: Live animal collections

Posted 09-30-2020 09:47 PM
    Hello!

My hometown has both object and living collections. Try contacting the Tallahassee Museum,Tallahasseemuseum.org
    Animal Curator Suzie Buzzo (850)575-8685 sbuzzo@tallahasseemuseum.org

Gabrielle Graham
    Community Partnerships & Adult Program Manager
    Buffalo Museum of Science
    Buffalo NY

• 6.  RE: Live animal collections

Posted 10-01-2020 11:37 AM
    Hi Leslie,

My name is Ann Wegman and I am the Animal Resources Coordinator at Cincinnati Museum Center, I am actually not sure how our collection fits into our documentation but I can find out. We are also doing modified animal programming during COVID.

Heather Farrington
    Curator
    Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal
    CINCINNATI OH

• 7.  RE: Live animal collections

Posted 10-21-2020 09:34 AM
    Ann, I'd love to connect with you. Can you send me an email address so that we can chat about documentation and animal programming?

Leslie Wilson
    Onsite Programs Manager
    Carnegie Museum of Natural History
    Pittsburgh PA

• 8.  RE: Live animal collections

Posted 10-01-2020 01:05 PM
    Hello,

You might try reaching out to Leslie Gordon at lgordon@nhm.org.  She is the manager of the vertebrate live animal program at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County.

Good luck,
    Beth Werling
    Collections Manager, History Department
    Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County

Beth Werling
    Collections Manager
    Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
    Los Angeles CA

• 9.  RE: Live animal collections

Posted 10-01-2020 06:29 PM
    Hi Leslie! You should reach out the Witte Museum in San Antonio Texas. They have a living collection as well  and have been through the process many times. They are super nice and I'm sure would love to help out!

Shenna Hayden
    Sr. Manager of Visitor Services Administration
    Olympia WA

• 10.  RE: Live animal collections

Posted 10-22-2020 09:12 AM
    Hi Leslie,
    Old World Wisconsin (one of the Wisconsin Historical Society's sites) has had an active live animal program since the mid 1970s and is focused on guest experiences with our collection of 19th and early 20th century heritage breed animals (poultry, cattle, horses, swine, sheep).  These animals are managed year round at OWW.  Please reach out to Mark Korf, Historic Farmer for conversation.  You can reach him at mark.korf@wisconsinhistory.org

Best,
    Cait

Cait Dallas
    Curator and Exhibit Developer
    Old World Wisconsin
    catherine.dallas@wisconsinhistory.org

Catherine Dallas
    Curator
    Old World Wisconsin
    Eagle WI