Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  identifiable objects in Collections

Posted 02-19-2020 12:48 PM
    Good morning,

I read the forum frequently, and I was hoping you could post a question for me. I am the Registrar and Collections Manager for the Art Museum of Southeast Texas. Our curatorial department is small; it is made up of myself and our curator. That being said, our permanent collection includes close to 1,700 objects. 

I have been completing inventory, and I have run into some unidentifiable objects. To my knowledge, they are not a part of the permanent collection, but no one seems to know where they came from or why they are being held in Collections storage. I've tried looking at past emails between old staff members, asking our director and other current staff, googling the artists, and looking in old files. No luck. 

Does anyone else have this problem? What do you recommend I do with them? Our storage space is nearly at capacity, so I don't want to store them in Collections if I don't have to do so. 

The objects include: three ceramic vessels with unidentifiable signatures, a framed print with an artist's signature, and several crayon on construction paper drawings of womens' portraits. We collect folk art, so I don't know if the portraits are from a folk artist or if they were accidentally put in Collections after an Education program ended. :/

Sincerely, 

Caitlin Clay

Registrar

Art Museum of Southeast Texas

500 Main Street

Beaumont, Texas 77701

www.amset.org

Email: cclay@amset.org

Phone: (409) 832-3432

Fax: (409) 832-8508

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: identifiable objects in Collections

Posted 02-20-2020 08:00 AM
    Caitlin - this is a problem virtually ALL museums have.  Be thankful your collection is small and your museum isn't 130 years old!

You do not say if you have a collections committee or collections policy, both of which would relieve some burden of decision-making.

If you are absolutely certain you have the plumbed the depths of research and detective work, a decision must be made that may seem ruthless, but in the long run your museum, you and and your successors will benefit.

Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this e-mail and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: identifiable objects in Collections

Posted 02-20-2020 09:45 AM

Dear Caitlin -

One really good resource is:

https://www.foundincollections.com/

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, there are documents for download, including an affidavit form and decision tree.

Here is a quick clip from our in-house "found in collections" guide.

The State of Texas has laws governing the treatment and status of property that is abandoned, lost, forgotten, or otherwise forlorn. Texas Property Code: Title 6, chapter 72, subchapters A and B cover abandoned property, and changes in this law may affect the policy outlined here. Therefore, it is recommended that the Texas Property Code be consulted prior to the disposal of abandoned property.

Chris

J. Chris Sagebiel, Collection manager

Texas Vertebrate Paleontology Collections

J.J. Pickle Campus, The University of Texas

10100 Burnet Road, VPL Bldg. 6

Austin, Texas 78758

• 4.  RE: identifiable objects in Collections

Posted 02-20-2020 10:40 AM

We are in the middle of clearing up the same kind of issues in our collection. We went through old donor correspondence, receipts for things brought in (for loan, opinion, acquisition consideration, etc.), and minutes of the Board's committee that approves acquisitions, and were able to match some things up. We also have an Education Collection of objects our docents use, and some of those objects had wound up in our art storage. New York State has a procedure we're required to follow regarding abandoned property-it has to have been here for at least ten years, we have to advertise it in a specific way, etc. Once all that due diligence is met, you can claim ownership and keep or sell it, as you see fit. So I'd say go through your internal records and correspondence to see if you can find mentions of the items (it sounds like you've done some of that already), and check your state laws covering abandoned property to see what the protocol is.

Kerry Schauber
    Curatorial Research Assistant
    Memorial Art Gallery
    500 University Avenue
    Rochester, NY 14607
    585-276-8982

• 5.  RE: identifiable objects in Collections

Posted 02-20-2020 12:12 PM

Hi Caitlin,

You have now met the commonly known problem of Found In Collections (FIC) that (almost) all of us in the registrar/collections manager community have on a regular basis.   There are a number of options and you have taken the first excellent step of checking through your records to see if there is any information about these objects.   If potential collections objects were discussed by the Museum Board, you might also try checking in their meeting minutes. 

The next step is to identify the objects as fully as possible and then decide (in accordance with whatever your collections policies say) whether or not you would like to keep them.   In either case you will need to follow the Texas abandoned property legislation.   Luckily for you there are two great resources for you to get help in both these areas.

First, the AAM Collections Stewardship Professional Network (formerly the Registrars Committee) has a great listserv, which you can join by going to their website.

The other is the Texas Association of Museum's Collections Managers Committee.   They have both a website and a Facebook page.

This Forum can be very useful, but often we need to consult with our immediate colleagues!

------------------------------
    Janice Klein

Tempe AZ
    ------------------------------