Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Archives in PastPerfect

Posted 11-07-2019 09:50 AM
    Edited by Cheyenne Jansdatter 11-07-2019 09:53 AM
    Good Morning,

My museum recently received a grant to process a 78 box collection donated to us a few years ago. I recently finished my first 2 year grant with them getting the archives into fighting shape. They have never had a full time archivist on staff before. Our museum uses PastPerfect collection management software, and while this is a museum object friendly system, it was not exactly built for archives. This will be the first collection I will be cataloging from start to finish. The records I have worked with previously in PP have just been updates. I'm looking for someone who has some familiarity with the archives options of PP. I run into a lot of people who use PP for their object collections but not for their archives collections. 

Since the collection I'm working with is rather large and I have only 2 years to process it, I am considering and MPLP approach. I have read some of the sections in the PP manual and think I would like to catalogue using the Container List tab, but would really like to discuss further with someone who has used this. I am very open to discussion on this project and any shared contacts would be much appreciated. My email is in my signature if you would like to discuss off thread.

Please excuse cross posting in archives groups.

Thank you,

------------------------------
    Cheyenne Jansdatter, MLIS
    Archival Collections Manager
    Museum of Danish America
    Elk Horn IA
    cjansdatter@danishmuseum.org
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Archives in PastPerfect

Posted 11-08-2019 01:25 PM
    Hello Cheyenne,

I appreciate your thoughtful approach to this and can sympathize with having to work with the system you have. I've assisted one of my clients who (for reasons) has to use past perfect for their archival collection. I found a few helpful guides from repositories who are in a similar situation and have attached them.

Best of luck,

Rachael Woody
    Consultant
    Tigard OR

Attachment(s)

pdf
    bhs_001_0.pdf   1.51 MB 1 version
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more