Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Using Walkie Talkies - best practices?

Posted 02-08-2017 02:39 PM
    Hello Everyone,

I would love to hear from folks about how they manage two way radios on site, especially tracking them. Our children's museum covers a fairly large space - about 3 acres - and on a moderate to busy day, we have 30 staff members, full and part time, out on the floor. Because we need to be able to quickly and clearly communicate safety issues, for example, if family members get separated etc.. to  all floor staff,  it is essential that everyone wears a walkie. Presently we use Motorola-brand walkie talkies and use a simple sign out sheet to track them. But they still walk away from time to time and they are very expensive. So, here are my questions:

1. Does anyone use a cheaper brand of two way radio and what issues have you encountered? There are newer companies that sell commercial radios (Retevis H-777) that come in at about $15 a piece when you buy in bulk. Has anyone tried these? Or do you have another recommendation that is more economical than motorola?

2. Has anyone come up with a great tracking system? How do you check them in and out? Have you assigned each part timer their own equipment? We find that our tracking is pretty accurate, but folks might grab a walkie for a quick call or a half shift and bypass the sign out system and those are the walkies that are likely to go missing.

Thanks for any advice and feedback!

------------------------------
    Jes Whittet
    Operations Floor and Recruitment Supervisor
    Kidspace Children's Museum
    Pasadena CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Using Walkie Talkies - best practices?

Posted 02-09-2017 01:40 PM
    Edited by Megan Osetek 02-09-2017 01:40 PM
    We also have the same need to communicate throughout the day between part-time  and full-time staff. We roughly have 5-10 staff on the floor with radios depending on the day. We only assign radios to full time staff and have a shared amount for part-time staff that work on in the galleries. We haven't had any issues with our radios going missing, however, I do label all of the radios 1 through .... and I know what radio belong to full-time staff or the shared part-time staff. 

I do assign headsets to all of the staff, those are labeled and the staff member has to sign off that they have received the headset and return it upon leaving employment. We've had issues in the past with the headsets going missing, being lost, etc. So far, assigning headsets to each staff member and informing them the cost of replacement has increased the care of the headset and cut down on the missing ones. 

Overall our radio communication is key to the staff functioning together as a team and to provide our patrons with the best experience possible. We do use code words for certain instances, such as lost child or assistance needed in a gallery and that helps with information sharing without the public or others on our channel. 

I have used cheap radios at other sites I've worked at in the past and found that we were replacing them annually, so investing in a decent quality radio, I feel is worth the time and money. If you can afford the expense, I feel it would be worth it. At my current institution, we have a contract with a local company that provides all of our radio needs from purchasing to maintenance. Many repairs are covered through the warranty and my experience has been when that happens the radio is old enough to start phasing out. The radios we use are Kenwood NexEdge 320, this would be overkill for our needs, however we are governed by the community college and they utilize the radios in most departments across our campuses. The radios take a beating and have held up well since purchasing them in 2012. We will be phasing out some of the old radios in the future.  

Megan O'Kon
    Coordinator of Interpretation 
    Kalamazoo Valley Museum
    Kalamazoo MI

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Using Walkie Talkies - best practices?

Posted 02-10-2017 09:46 AM
    We have over 100 radios and use professional Motorola radios for durability.   Each department controls their handsets and determines how they are handed out and put back.  Not a big problem when done that way.  Many departments only have 2 or 3 radio handsets, but a few have 10 or more.   Last year three radios came up missing.  It is believed one was stolen, one was simply lost and one was loaned to our caterer who lost it.  We make the department pay for lost radios (about $550 for basic model).    

In addition to department radios, we have a radio pool of 21 radios that are loaned out to staff for special events.   Users have to reserve them ahead of time (on-line spreadsheet), and sign them out.  Our Safety Office tracks their return.

Some radios are used with no accessories, many are used with a corded speaker mics that are worn on the shoulder near the ear.   Some who have special needs, such as working in the very loud mechanical room, have big sound insulating headsets.   We also have a couple of "secret service" type earpieces and wrist microphones.   Speaker/mics stay with the handset.   Headsets are permanently assigned to a particular staff member.

Last year we had to replace a few batteries, one speaker/mic and a belt clip.

Submitted by John Myers using Josh Sarver's sign in.

Josh Sarver
    Sr. Director of Experiences
    COSI
    Columbus OH

• 4.  RE: Using Walkie Talkies - best practices?

Posted 02-12-2017 12:11 PM
    Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate the feedback!

Jes Whittet
    Operations Floor and Recruitment Supervisor
    Kidspace Children's Museum
    Pasadena CA

• 5.  RE: Using Walkie Talkies - best practices?

Posted 02-12-2017 08:19 PM
    Hi from Seattle, Jes,

You may want to contact people at the zoo... In general, zoos use walkie talkies extensively, and have set protocols for their use and assignment. With your outdoor space, I can see where they would be useful. I am guessing that someone in operations or guest services at LA Zoo or Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle could give you the policies and protocols they use. 

Hope you get good input!

Alissa Rupp FAIA
    The Portico Group
    Seattle WA

• 6.  RE: Using Walkie Talkies - best practices?

Posted 02-13-2017 09:47 AM
      |   view attached
    Radios have been an ongoing issue for our site. We see about 150,000 visitors annually our programming season runs May-October and this is when we implement our radio usage. We have used Motorola's in the past, the lower end model, and they just didn't cut it. They didn't have the range we needed, they would shut themselves off, and the clips would often break.  So last year we purchased Retevis brand radios. And implemented the following policy (attachment). Hope some of this helps. j.

Jennifer Niemi
    Program Manager
    Minnesota Historical Society
    Saint Paul MN

Attachment(s)

pdf
    NewRadios.pdf   70 KB 1 version