Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Training for Re-Opening in a Post-COVID World

• 1.  Training for Re-Opening in a Post-COVID World

Posted 04-16-2020 10:33 AM

Good Morning All,

As training manager at my institution, I have naturally been giving the task of developing training for our staff and volunteers who will be working and  interacting with the public and functioning in a Post-COVID world. Has anyone else also given thought to what a training (or pre-reopening preparations) like this will look like? Are there any resources that you have come across that would be ideal for a project like this?

I have seen posts concerning surveys focused on the impact and utilization of volunteers of a certain age; and their willingness or reticence to volunteer until after a vaccine has been developed. Which is terrific, but considering that we have scores of paid staff who WILL be returning to work without that assurance or possibility, how are you going to navigate allaying their concerns and putting guests at ease?

Many thanks in advance!

Victoria 
    Senior Training Business Partner
    Museum of the Bible
    Washington DC

------------------------------
    Victoria Hamilton
    Museum of the Bible
    Washington DC
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Training for Re-Opening in a Post-COVID World

Posted 04-27-2020 09:40 PM
    Hi Victoria,

We are using this free online training tool from the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (https://niehstraining.vividlms.com/). Our front facing staff must complete this training before returning to work. We may have everyone in the Museum participate in it. We're also planning on training front facing staff on the specifics of each new process. Some things we have put in place during closure include new (touch-less for staff) credit card readers, new staff assignments for in gallery monitoring, mandatory face masks, and Plexiglass cough barriers for our desks. The training on those new features will be something we create in house using genial.ly. These increased measures are for the protection of staff and visitor alike. 

Best of luck!
    Brittany

Brittany Nazario
    Manager of Visitor Experience
    The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens
    Jacksonville FL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Training for Re-Opening in a Post-COVID World

Posted 04-28-2020 01:47 PM
    Hi Victoria,

This was very helpful information to share and read about! I am the Manager of Operations & Guest Services for the NASCAR Hall of Fame, and as we begin to review plans to reopen our facility, I was wondering what other measures like this, training or protocol, institutions are planning to put into place to help both staff and guests feel safe and healthy?  Is anyone looking at a phased reopening plan? If so, what is your timeline?

We are a high touch facility from entrance to exit, with many touch-screen and activity interactives throughout 4 levels. ​While we do not have a volunteer staff, our paid part-time staff are compromised of both young and old so we want to be sure we are considering their safety while engaging with guests throughout the facility.

Our state is looking at a phased reopening beginning in mid-May, while still maintaining social distancing, so a task force has been formed to consider how to reopen businesses. Considering how other institutions across the country may be making their plans or training around the same guidelines will be helpful.

Any resources or shared knowledge would be appreciated as we all navigate through this next normal!

Thank you,

Liz Wooley

Manager, Operations & Guest Services; NASCAR Hall of Fame

A Division of the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority (CRVA)

400 E. Martin Luther King Blvd. │Charlotte, NC 28202

nascarhall.com

Liz Wooley
    Operations Manager
    NASCAR Hall of Fame
    Charlotte NC

• 4.  RE: Training for Re-Opening in a Post-COVID World

Posted 05-04-2020 02:55 PM
    Thank you so much, Brittany! I will give it a look today! We are implementing many of the same measures. I appreciate your response! Please forgive the delay in mine!

Victoria Hamilton
    Museum of the Bible
    Washington DC

• 5.  RE: Training for Re-Opening in a Post-COVID World

Posted 04-30-2020 09:42 AM
    Hi Victoria,

Thank you for starting this conversation!  Training is incredibly important as we bring staff back into the building!  In addition to allaying fears and concerns of staff, we will also have to train team members on how to use PPE correctly and productively; how to social distance themselves as they interact with guests (after being out of public scenarios for so long) and what language and verbiage to use when talking about the recent pandemic.  I am looking forward to working with you as we move towards reopening!

Thank you!
    John

John Gardner
    Director of Guest Relations
    Museum of the Bible
    Washington , D.C.

• 6.  RE: Training for Re-Opening in a Post-COVID World

Posted 05-01-2020 09:08 AM

This is a good question, and one we've been looking at ourselves. We essentially plan to restart the museum by reversing the process in which we wound down operations in March. By our estimation, it will take about a week from the time we decide to reopen to the public to actually opening the doors. This week of lead time includes exhibit prep, front desk planning and process review, deep cleaning of public spaces, PR/messaging, and other related tasks.

As for staff training, so far our plan involves mostly reviewing and being mindful of the guidance in place for PPE and social distancing. Until that guidance comes into place from the Governor's Office, we can only plan in general concepts. If we need to restrict and monitor visitors, we will finalize those plans and preparations (for example: posting signs) during the restart period. We've also ordered already a good quantity of sanitizer and related supplies to augment the fair amount we already have.

Let me know if you have questions or need additional details.

You Count! Support Wisconsin's Future. Take the 2020 Census. Find out more at wicount.wi.gov

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

• 7.  RE: Training for Re-Opening in a Post-COVID World

Posted 05-01-2020 02:14 PM
    Hi, Chris, Scott Harris here.  We at the University of Mary Washington Museums, and your other former Virginia colleagues, are also awaiting more specific instructions and guidance from the governor's office as to the conditions under which we may be able to reopen and operate. We're facing challenges in getting sufficient quantities of PPE, and staff concerns about social distancing and personal safety.

Scott Harris
    Executive Director
    University of Mary Washington Museums
    Fredericksburg, Virginia

• 8.  RE: Training for Re-Opening in a Post-COVID World

Posted 05-04-2020 06:36 PM

I've been trying to compose a thoughtful post that balances affirming the approach of reassuring others while being mindful that not all visitors will be reasonable. Rage is power for some people. Being mollified is to be weakened, to give up power. They have no interest in being reasonable.

I was going to post something like "some will see that threatening to use a firearm worked to rescind a town's requirement to wear a mask - and therefore a patriotic duty to threaten staff for enforcing COVID19 rules". I pondered and the post became obsolete with a better example.

The better example is that a security guard in Michigan was killed. He had informed a woman she was supposed to wear a mask. She argued, spat on him and left.  20 minutes later, 2 men confronted the guard. One man was enraged that his wife was 'disrespected'. The other shot the guard in the head. Perhaps more details will come out that make this less insane. Maybe the guard was armed and reached for his weapon in response to a raging man. Doesn't change that at least one man came ready to kill and did.

It's great that people are working on reducing fear and studying how to use PPE properly. I think the rage over COVID19 rules deserves consideration. Just because an irate person leaves doesn't mean the problem resolved itself. They could return with friends and weapons. This is the world we live in.

Michael Kan
    Wing Luke Museum of the Asian Pacific American Experience
    Seattle WA

• 9.  RE: Training for Re-Opening in a Post-COVID World

Posted 05-05-2020 09:32 AM

Michael,

Sadly, you bring up what could be a very legitimate concern.  What if patrons decide not to follow the guidelines you put in place for reopening?  I've seen growing resentment from people about government taking away freedoms that could very easily transgress into COVID-19 reopening guidelines are restricting freedoms.  What do you do if you require patrons to wear masks and they refuse?  Or someone gets upset that they can't come in because we are at 25% capacity (or whatever your limits are).

We'll probably need to incorporate parts of our emergency plans that deal with violent or belligerent patrons and even active shooter.

Could this happen at our museums?  I suspect there are those who see precautions as restrictions and may act out about that.  Probably better that we prepare for that and hope/believe/trust that it will not happen.

Harry Klinkhamer

Historical Resources Manager

City of Venice

941-486-2490

hklinkhamer@venicegov.com

Venice Museum & Archives                 City of Venice

http://www.venicemuseum.org/       http://venicegov.com

Museums provide places of relaxation and inspiration.

And most importantly, they are a place of authenticity.
    - Thomas Campbell

• 10.  RE: Training for Re-Opening in a Post-COVID World

Posted 05-05-2020 04:16 PM

FYI...

• 11.  RE: Training for Re-Opening in a Post-COVID World

Posted 05-05-2020 05:17 PM

Apart from general visitors, another wrinkle is the potential adverse behavior of facility rental clients, who may insist on greater prerogatives for their private event, even when held in a public venue.

Scott H. Harris, Executive Director

University of Mary Washington Museums

224 Washington Street

Falmouth, VA  22405

540-654-1840 (office)

540-654-1785 (fax)

Gari Melchers Home and Studio

James Monroe Museum

Papers of James Monroe

• 12.  RE: Training for Re-Opening in a Post-COVID World

Posted 05-04-2020 03:20 PM
    Thank you, Christopher! Will you hold in-person training, or virtual training before the building opens to the public? Will you issue any read-ahead materials or videos that employees will access on their own before returning? Will you rely on emails and other electronic messaging? Will your staff be wearing PPE upon re-opening? Will you require guests to wear PPE in your facility? What about temperature checks for staff and guests? Do you have a high-tough facility? How will you handle that aspect of the guest experience? 

I'm also curious about your front desk planning and process review, who is in charge of planning and executing the review? Operations leadership and management? HR? Who generally leads training? Education?

Best,
    Victoria

Victoria Hamilton
    Museum of the Bible
    Washington DC

• 13.  RE: Training for Re-Opening in a Post-COVID World

Posted 05-04-2020 03:14 PM
    Hello John,

Thank you so much for your leadership as we all navigate this brave new world together! I look forward to seeing what we will all come up! As you've noted, it is so important to speak to the needs, feelings and experiences of our staff and volunteers in the interim since we have been apart.

Once we come back into the building, it will be critical for our leadership team to stand in solidarity with our staff and volunteers in-person, in the same way that they have virtually throughout this time of uncertainty. I applaud you for your weekly outreach to the folks on your team. It must really put their minds at ease knowing that their boss is someone who truly cares not only about their output, but also about their well-being. 

Best,
    Victoria

Victoria Hamilton
    Museum of the Bible
    Washington DC

• 14.  RE: Training for Re-Opening in a Post-COVID World

Posted 05-04-2020 01:02 PM
    Hi Victoria,

In addition to your comments and those that responded, we are recommending to our clients that they set up what might be called a Rapid Response Team including key museum department heads and your retail director (if self operated) and operator(s) for visitor dining (and retail if outsourced) and caterers if local DC area caterers are working in the building.

This group can work together to develop a detailed plan for all areas and departments of your museum and receive signoff and approval by your senior management well before your anticipated re open date.

There is so much to think about and consider in all areas to say the least.

I have put some good articles at my website, www.artmanaskconsulting.com that should help all of you in some regards. I will add to them when I see additional worthwhile advice to share with all of you.

Any questions, feel free to give me a call (no charge/cost of course). I had the pleasure of working with your building architects and visitor dining operator pre-opening and visiting the museum pre-buildout and seeing the results on TV specials several times.

Be safe and healthy.

Best regards,
    Art

Art Manask
    Principal
    Art Manask Consulting, Inc.
    artmanask@gmail.com
    818 358-3588