Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Virtual Field Trips at History Sites

Posted 03-19-2022 10:44 AM
    I am writing this as a member of the AASLH 2022 Annual Meeting program committee. We are putting together a session for the virtual conference, to be held in early November 2022.

We are looking for innovative or just really compelling virtual field trips that can be shared (in clips and descriptions) as part of a virtual Lightning Talk. The goal of the session is to offer a range of kinds of trips and highlight how digital can be used effectively to interpret history.

Please nominate your own work or make a recommendation of a colleague's in this thread. We'll choose 6 to offer 8-minute virtual lightning talks as part of the conference in November. Deadline for nomination is April 1. Session chair is Jeff Sellers, Tennessee State Museum.

Many thanks!

------------------------------
    Sarah Jencks
    Partner
    The History Co: Lab
    Washington DC
    sarah@thehistorycolab.org
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Virtual Field Trips at History Sites

Posted 03-21-2022 12:33 PM
    Hi Sarah, 

We lead virtual field trips of Dumbarton House using a 3D house tour (made by Matterport) and a slideshow of images. These have enabled us to give pretty immersive field trips exploring our period rooms with students over the past two years. Recently, I've started asking students to bring a piece of paper with them so they can complete various prompts during the field trip, and I've found that this helps keep their attention really well. I've seen many institutions implementing all kinds of creative virtual offerings so it sounds tricky to pick just 6 but I'd love to be considered and am happy to answer any questions about what we do at Dumbarton House! 

Best,
    Sheridan

Sheridan Small
    Director of Education
    Dumbarton House NSCDA
    Washington DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Virtual Field Trips at History Sites

Posted 03-22-2022 12:34 PM
    Dear Sarah,

Touch base with kredard@7gables.org (Kaylee Redard). While I was still at The House of the Seven Gables, she and I put together a couple of virtual field trips. One program is a general tour of the house via a pre-recorded video and matterport tour. A second is a hands-on virtual field trip focusing on colonial history for grades 3-5. 

I'm also happy to share information, but am now and IMP.

Julie Arrison-Bishop
    Founder
    MuseumTastic
    Beverly, Mass.