Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sprinkler system for program and event space

Posted 03-02-2020 12:27 PM
    We have been told that we need a sprinkler system for our Warehouse building which we use for programs and events. It is immediately adjacent to our main building, the Moffatt-Ladd House (built 1763).  Does anyone have experience with low volume, high pressure systems, and vendors and installers in New England? We are located in Portsmouth, NH. Many thanks!.

------------------------------
    Barbara Ward
    Director/Curator
    Moffatt-Ladd House and Garden
    Portsmouth NH
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Sprinkler system for program and event space

Posted 03-03-2020 08:36 AM

Barbara,

You can contact Nick Artim at the Fire Safety Institute in Middlebury, Vermont. Nick's consulted on many projects with the National Park Service over the years. He's a fire protection engineer (FPE) with many years of experience working to design fire suppression systems for cultural sites in both the U.S. and abroad. Consulting with an independent FPE like Nick is the best first step - many firms may try to sell you what type/brand of system they stock vs. what you actually need. Nick should be able to provide you with several different options based on your needs. His Nick's contact info is:

Fire Safety Network
    PO Box 895
    Middlebury, VT 05753
    (802) 388-1064
    firesafe@gmavt.net

I hope this help. Good luck with your project.

Steve

Steven Floray
    Curator
    U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
    Shepherdstown WV

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Sprinkler system for program and event space

Posted 03-04-2020 10:13 AM

I agree –

I have always been impressed with Nick Artim's approach to fire protection for museums and historic sites, which have been tailored to the specific requirements of the site, geographic location, and capacity of the organization.

Best,

Wendy Claire Jessup

(she, her, hers)

Conservator

Wendy Jessup and Associates, Inc.

Care of Cultural Property

4620 Lee Highway, Suite 206

Arlington, VA 22207

(703) 522-2801 ext. 1

CF Partner 2017   aic-pa-mark-sm 

Art is not an adornment to society. It is not a luxury. It is the purpose of society. It becomes our legacy. It is also, however, our teacher; it helps us consider that which is around us and what we want to be. It makes demands on us that in turn lead us to place demands on ourselves and those with whom we live and work. David Rothkopf, Foreign Policy, 2/22/2017

• 4.  RE: Sprinkler system for program and event space

Posted 03-03-2020 10:46 AM
    Hi Barbara,

You might check with the National Trust for Historic Preservation in Wash DC as they have similar to what you are writing about all over the country. You might ask them about Lyndhurst in Westchester, NY that I worked with as it sounds familiar. Also, in New England, the Preservation for Historic Homes might be able to help. They use 3 of their homes I believe for events amount the 25-30 homes they own in the area. 

Hope this helps.
    Art

Art Manask
    Principal
    Art Manask Consulting, Inc.
    artmanask@gmail.com
    818 358-3588