Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Online School Registration Form

Posted 03-09-2019 03:00 PM

Hello all,

I am an educator at a historic house museum, and we are interested in changing our school program reservations from a paper system to an online system. We see several hundred school kids each month, and we are looking for a way to expedite the registration process.  

Does anyone know any museums that use an online registration system for School Programs?  What works well and what does not work?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.
     -Hannah G.

------------------------------
    Hannah Gaston
    May Kean Raynolds Museum Studies Fellow
    Liberty Hall Museum
    Union NJ
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Online School Registration Form

Posted 03-11-2019 11:47 AM
    Although it is not a typical museum situation, you might take a look at Grays Harbor Historical Seaport's system: https://www.historicalseaport.org/education/voyage-of-explorers/ .  They are a public non-profit and I'm sure would be happy to share their experiences and recommendations.

Les Bolton
    Rising Tide
    Aberdeen WA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Online School Registration Form

Posted 03-12-2019 08:23 AM
    ​Hello! We use Qualtrics to build our registration form and it works well for us. Using survey software gives us a lot of options when we want to evaluate data points both holistically and individually (for example, # schools visiting and how many third graders). I'm not sure of the going price for Qualtrics, but I've also seen museums use Survey Monkey successfully. Hope this helps!
    School Visit Request

Katherine Nickel
    School & Teacher Program Coordinator
    John & Mable Ringling Museum of Art
    Sarasota FL

• 4.  RE: Online School Registration Form

Posted 03-14-2019 02:00 PM
    Hello!
    We use an online form through Wordpress, which also hosts our website, so the two are integrated. Depending on how your website is hosted that might be an option. I get a notification for submissions which I can then download or send to others. For a while, I was also using Google Forms for bus scholarship requests, which also worked well and did not have to be integrated into Wordpress. 

https://clyffordstillmuseum.org/instill-request/

Emily Bullard
    Manager of Education & Programs School & Youth
    Clyfford Still Museum
    Denver CO

• 5.  RE: Online School Registration Form

Posted 03-15-2019 10:44 AM
    Hi all,

At the National Museum of American Jewish History, we use a formstack survey for online registration:

http://nmajh.formstack.com/forms/group_visits_inquiry_2019 

There is conditional formatting that makes certain questions appear based on what information you enter (e.g. if you click "Student/youth group" versus "adult group"). 

Good luck implementing a new system! 
    -Charlie

Charlie Hersh
    Education Assistant
    National Museum of American Jewish History
    Philadelphia, PA

• 6.  RE: Online School Registration Form

Posted 03-18-2019 02:18 PM
    Hi Hannah,

After working in as a teacher and a museum educator for nearly 10 years, I realized there wasn't a really good system to manage field trip requests. I built Explorable Places to do just that. We facilitate field trip scheduling with a shared calendar, an intake form and custom, automated messaging. 

You can see it in action here.  

Institutions looking for a lower tech option have had success with a google forms and more recently Typeform (which I think is much more elegant)

If you have questions, or want to talk through different systems feel free to reach out: meg@explorableplaces.com

Thanks! 
    Meg

Margaret Davis
    New York NY

• 7.  RE: Online School Registration Form

Posted 03-19-2019 12:43 PM
    Our webmaster built tour request forms for our website in WordPress, you can view them here. (buttons at the bottom of the page)

Carrie Sanger
    Manager of Marketing & PR
    Meadows Museum - Southern Methodist University
    Dallas TX

• 8.  RE: Online School Registration Form

Posted 03-20-2019 12:02 PM
    We use wufoo (free service) for a lot of our online form requests. :) It can be a stand alone form that you can link to or be embedded in your website.

Melissa Sarver
    Call Center Manager
    COSI
    Columbus OH