Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Advice/tips needed: events to bring in millennials!

Posted 03-29-2018 10:10 AM
    Hello! I am a Minnesotan currently living in Dublin and working at the National Gallery of Ireland (NGI website) in their newly implemented Public Engagement Department. I have been tasked with developing a future events calendar which will include some recurring events with the goal of drawing in younger crowds, primarily the 18-34 year old/millennial group. I've done my share of external research but think it would be great to hear directly from other professionals with any advice or tips you may have from putting together these types of events at your institutions. Here at the Gallery we are currently only able to stay open until 9pm - as this is not ideal, any proposed solutions for working around this constraint are appreciated. Ideas that I'm looking to implement include yoga/wellness events, career/professional networking events, and the increasingly trendy after-hours/late night social events. Any insight into these types of events (or others) is greatly welcome. Thanks in advance! 

------------------------------
    Kayla Martin
    National Gallery of Ireland
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Advice/tips needed: events to bring in millennials!

Posted 03-30-2018 08:38 AM
    Kayla,

Good day, on Sunday I attended an event at the Museum of Work and Culture in Woonsocket, Rhode Island. This institution is run by the Rhode Island Historical Society and is very popular with the community, they have so many events I think of them as the Museum of Work and Pleasure! Sundays event was a Poutine tasting. Poutine is a hearty dish that has its origins in Canada, from where many immigrants came to Woonsocket. There were many variations of this dish being served by local restaurants, at their own expense, along with a local brewery. The Museum was open to all, and featured live music and dancing. Beer and fancy fries, that is one way to attract millennials. 

Best,

Ed

Edward Malouf

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Advice/tips needed: events to bring in millennials!

Posted 03-30-2018 09:37 AM
    Edited by Faith Martin 03-30-2018 09:41 AM
    Hi there Kayla - While I'm not responsible for creating this event at my museum (The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City, Missouri), I'd like to bring your attention to a monthly event we do called Third Thursdays - It's an event mostly targeted toward your desired age group and features lives music and performances while alcohol and appetizers are available for purchase. Each month's event has a theme that is art or culturally related. 

If you'd like, I can help put you in touch with our Public Program coordinator who is responsible for the event - I'm sure she'd be more than happy to discuss the details.

Hopefully this helps!

Faith Martin
    The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
    Kansas City MO