Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Shipping Artwork

• 1.  Shipping Artwork

Posted 07-23-2018 06:44 PM
    I am looking into shipping a single painting from Massachusetts to Texas at the end of August.  I'd love a recommendation of a good company, as this is not something we have to do with any frequency.  The painting will be coming from a collector, not a gallery or museum, so I will need to find a company willing to pack the artwork safely and then ship it to Austin.

Thanks so much,

Rowena
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Shipping Artwork

Posted 07-24-2018 07:04 AM
    Try fine arts express Boston. 
    They crate and ship. Very professional and reliable.

------------------------------
    Barbara S. Krulik
    Krulik Cultural Consulting Services
    barbaraskrulik@gmail.com
    New York

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Shipping Artwork

Posted 07-24-2018 07:24 AM
    We've used Artex to ship to Texas and Montana and it went well.

Michele Lyons
    Curator
    Stetten Museum of Medical Research NIH
    Bethesda MD

• 4.  RE: Shipping Artwork

Posted 07-24-2018 07:31 AM
    Hello Rowena

U.S. Art, Artex, Atelier 4, Artemis Fine Art Services and others provide fine art shuttle service throughout much of the contiguous United States, as well as provide packing services (for example, U.S. Art has a crate shop in Randolph, MA).  All or most of these companies have a form on their websites to request a transport & packing estimate.  Be prepared to provide dimensions for the artwork to be transported and packed.

Regarding packing, depending on age and condition of painting, you may be able to simply have it "soft-wrapped" in a corrugated board shadow box, which is less expensive than getting a wood crate fabricated.

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards.

Noel Valentin
    Permanent Collections Manager
    El Museo del Barrio
    New York NY
    nvalentin@elmuseo.org
    212 660 7120

• 5.  RE: Shipping Artwork

Posted 07-24-2018 07:34 AM
    Maybe this is a duplicate message, but I didn't see it posted...Fine Arts Express Boston is a very good, professional and reliable company.
    Success, Barbara

Barbara S. Krulik
    Krulik Cultural Consulting Services
    barbaraskrulik@gmail.com
    New York

• 6.  RE: Shipping Artwork

Posted 07-24-2018 09:00 AM
    "Displays Art Services" is a Texas based art shipping company. They were referred to me by the Registrar's Office one of the major museums in the south. They were extremely cooperative and efficient in picking up  my medium sized painting from the out of the way location where I live and then delivering it to my client in suburban New York City. I got bids from three different companies and the "Displays Art Services" bid was the one chosen by my client.

Charles Steiner
    Adjuct College Faculty
    Fort Smith AR

• 7.  RE: Shipping Artwork

Posted 07-24-2018 09:24 AM
    Try Fine Arts Enterprises (FAE), which is headquartered in Boston. They specialize in packing and shipping works of art, and I have used them in the past when shipping things for a museum. The website is FAE Boston Welcome

Gail Nessell-Colglazier
    Executive Search Consultant

• 8.  RE: Shipping Artwork

Posted 07-24-2018 09:49 AM
    US Art is in the Boston area.

[Christine] [Downing] [Independent Curator]
    Curator, Registrar, research
    ChristineChristineChristineDowningDowningChristine

• 9.  RE: Shipping Artwork

Posted 07-24-2018 10:07 AM
    ShipArt-Terry Dowd, UsArt, Artemis are the three main companies we contract with for shipping fine art cross country.

Michael Lorusso
    Assistant Registrar
    Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center at Colorado College
    Colorado Springs CO

• 10.  RE: Shipping Artwork

Posted 07-24-2018 06:12 PM
    Try shippingmadesimple.com 
    They are a source for many art handling companies that also operate shuttles. We have used them successfully a few times.

Rob Hugh Rosen
    Director for Exhibitions
    Leslie-Lohman Museum of Gay and Lesbian Art
    New York NY

• 11.  RE: Shipping Artwork

Posted 07-25-2018 09:39 AM
    Artex is now owned by CROZIER.  So I don't know if the contact information
    has changed.

Terry Dowd --I would not recommend.  Years ago he shipped a piece for me
    to a museum and forgot to insure the piece (at the museum's request) -his firm packed it ---it broke in his transit and
    he basically told me "sue me"....I never received anything for the artist for the
    piece.  I never used him after that because I felt it was his fault and he was
    unprofessional in "backing his responsibilities".

If you are using someone in Chicago ---I have had years of success with the
    Icon Group on West Taylor Street.

Thea Burger
    Private Dealer and Curator