Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Exhibit Labels on Wall

• 1.  Exhibit Labels on Wall

Posted 01-18-2018 02:06 PM
    Hello, 

I'm working on fixing some small identification labels for an exhibit that we currently have up. These labels have been a problem since the exhibit planning stages, and I thought we had solved the problem. Unfortunately, now that the exhibit has been up for a few months, they have started peeling off of the walls. I had hoped to have clear adhesive labels with white text in order to be as unobtrusive as possible on a dark purple wall, but this didn't work out because most printers don't have white ink. Our current solution is white background adhesive labels with the text printed in color. Unfortunately, these are now falling off and I need to find an alternate option.  

Does anyone have recommendations for ways to add these labels that will be more durable? The interpretive text and photographs are mounted on foamcore, but I'm trying to keep the smaller labels more subtle. I'm hoping for a solution that I can use again for future exhibits and avoid this problem moving forward. 

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Kaitlyn Hof-Mahoney
    Curator of Collections
    Matheson History Museum
    Gainesville, FL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Exhibit Labels on Wall

Posted 01-19-2018 07:11 AM
    There is a great 3m product...a repositionable, sticky back fabric that you can print on. Cheaper than sintra, can last for years. If you match the background to your wall color it would be completely unobtrusive. With the labels you are using, or again with the sticky back fabric...if using eggshell low voc paint I would wipe application area with alcohol or v lightly sand. I'd had issues with peeling edges with that kind of paint and this method solved the problem.

Kate Baillon
    Manager Collections and Exhibitions
    Cape Fear Museum
    Baillonkate@gmail.com

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Exhibit Labels on Wall

Posted 01-19-2018 09:05 AM

Dear Ms. Kaitlyn Hof-Mahoney:

You could get your labels printed as weatherproof vinyl stickers. The vendor here offers them as either opaque or with a clear background. The clear ones are more expensive, but they would match the wall.

If you do this, come up with your own design, ideally in a vector program, such as Adobe Illustrator (the type will be sharpest in vector). Be sure to convert all text to outlines, so the printer doesn't have to have the exact font you're using. You can even make the background purple, to help blend in with the wall. It will be unlikely to get a perfect match on the first attempt, so you might try a purple that complements the wall color, without obviously trying to match it.

Next, gang up as many labels as will fit in the biggest size sticker. This will be cheaper than making a custom design for each label, printed separately. If you need more different ones, upload them as a separate design, also ganged up to fit. Once printed, you need only cut them apart and apply them.

You can put trim marks at the edges to guide your cutting. If they are placed off the finished sticker, they will never show. You just have to be careful not to cut all the way across until the final cuts that free the stickers from the sheet.

A further refinement to avoid peeling problems is cutting the corners of the labels at forty-five degrees. Just cutting triangles 1/32" on a side will be enough. Only do this if you can set up some sort of jig to keep the cuts consistent though.

Here is the vendor I found, but many vendors will make custom vinyl stickers. You just need one that will do very short runs (one per design).

https://www.makestickers.com/products/custom-stickers/rectangle-stickers

If you need any further assistance, or even if you need someone to take over any aspect of this project, let me know!

Cordially,

Paul Pallansch

Paul N. Pallansch
    Dot-Connector,
    Up-Close Realism
    Silver Spring MD

• 4.  RE: Exhibit Labels on Wall

Posted 01-19-2018 10:07 AM
    We use a product called Remo 2. It is a double-sided removable foam adhesive that comes in squares or tape rolls. It sticks remarkably well to almost any surface (corkboard is the only one that I have had trouble with), and doesn't leave residue. It can be pretty thin, and just a simple cardstock would look ok, depending on how long you are leaving it up. I know our exhibits department uses them for most of the labels that aren't printed on vinyl or fabric. I use them constantly in education for decorations and interpretive signs for programs. 

- Elizabeth

Elizabeth Bazan
    Interim Head of Education
    Illinois State Museum
    Springfield IL

• 5.  RE: Exhibit Labels on Wall

Posted 01-19-2018 10:55 AM
    Kaitlyn

Many wide-format inkjet printers can print white ink. Look for local sign companies. They should be able to print on large sheets then cut to size. You'll have to test removable adhesive sheets to balance between easy to remove without damaging the walls and not peeling--a delicate balance.

Mark Driscoll
    Designer
    Driscoll Design Inc.
    Montgomery AL

• 6.  RE: Exhibit Labels on Wall

Posted 01-19-2018 11:41 AM

HI,
    After trying many types of labels including laminated paper on matboard, labels behind acrylic covers, and others, we have found this is the best solution for us. We started using Avery #8665 Clear Full sheet shipping labels.  It has a frosty appearance which almost disappears on a white wall, but allows colored walls to softly show through.  We have been successful with printing images on these labels in full color, with black or colored text. The great thing is that they can be printed on any good ink jet printer "in house". The adhesive stays put on our painted walls, but removes nicely with minimal residue which can easily be removed with a magic eraser.  They are able to be repositioned with minimal loss of adhesion and even work on our textured walls. 

I hope you find this helpful.   

Cindy Quayle
    Exhibitions Manager
    Springfield Art Museum
    Springfield MO

• 7.  RE: Exhibit Labels on Wall

Posted 01-19-2018 11:57 AM

This may seem rudimentary, but it's worked for us. If we use card stock paper for labels and even small foam core labels, we use Scotch Removable Poster Tape, it comes in a red roll and can be found at office supply stores and even Walmart. I've been using it for years and years and our labels rarely come off the walls. The labels are replaced before the tape wears out. Our walls are drywall with orange peel texture and most walls are painted with flat acrylic. We keep our thermostats at 72 degrees so the humidity is low. When we've used this tape in other venues for temporary exhibits, it does not hold well if the humidity is high.  Good luck! Hope you find a solution.

Diane Ingram, Supervisor

Manatee  County Agricultural Museum, Inc.

For Angelina "Angel" Colonneso

Manatee County Clerk of Circuit Court & Comptroller

1015 6th St. West, P. O. Box 1284, Palmetto, FL  34220

(941) 721-2034    FAX: (941) 721-6888

"Pride in Service with a Vision to the Future"

• 8.  RE: Exhibit Labels on Wall

Posted 01-22-2018 04:20 PM

Kaitlyn,

It looks like you've gotten a lot of good ideas here!

For temporary exhibit labels we use a different 3M product- Restickable Glue Stick- it is basically like Post-it Note adhesive. 

Print your label to regular weight light colored paper.  If you want, use a background color that matches the wall, and do your lettering in white. Apply the Restickable Glue Stick adhesive to the back and let dry 90 seconds- then trim your label so no white edges show, and apply. 

Sometimes with humidity changes the labels can start to peel, but we've had some up for years this way. And they peel off with out hurting the paint- sometimes there is a bit of residue that easily cleans off.

It can be hard to find this product in local office supply stores- we often order ours through Quill.

Good luck!

Chuck

Chuck Regier
    Curator of Exhibits
    Kauffman Museum
    North Newton KS
    crregier@bethelks.edu (316) 217 6433

• 9.  RE: Exhibit Labels on Wall

Posted 01-23-2018 11:10 AM

Cincinnati Museum Center is part of the Museums for All initiative. This is a cooperative initiative between IMLS and the Association of Children's Museums to offer a signature access program that encourages families of all backgrounds to visit museums regularly and build lifelong museum habits. At our institution, families with a food assistance card and photo idea get discounted admission ($2/person) and free parking for up to 10 people.

You can check it out at https://www.imls.gov/issues/national-initiatives/museums-all

Robyn Gibboney, PhD, GPC

Director of Grants

Cincinnati Museum Center

rgibboney@cincymuseum.org

O: 513-287-7058

C: 901-351-1053

F: 513-287-7079

Temporary Address (during restoration of Union Terminal): 250 W. Court St., Cincinnati, OH 45202

Permanent Address: 1301 Western Ave., Cincinnati, OH 45203

• 10.  RE: Exhibit Labels on Wall

Posted 01-19-2018 11:59 AM
    Mat board would work the same as foam core but have a much lower profile.

Dana Neitzel
    Curator
    San Mateo County Historical Association
    Redwood City CA

• 11.  RE: Exhibit Labels on Wall

Posted 01-22-2018 10:47 AM
    Transparency/ translucency leads to all sorts of issues. I would recommend direct print to a stiff material with a solid color throughout such as art board or solid color matt board. Mount it to the wall with a tape which has some thickness so that it stands off the wall slightly and can be removed with a piano wire. Many adhesive tapes now can be removed by stretching the tape from the corner leaving no residue.

Ian Swope
    Exhibit Designer
    Winchester MA

• 12.  RE: Exhibit Labels on Wall

Posted 01-23-2018 08:12 PM
    Edited by Tiffany Trieu 01-23-2018 08:17 PM
      |   view attached
    You could consider custom dry transfers or pre-masked white vinyl cut letters for a clean look against the purple walls. For vinyl cut lettering, the lifespan seems to be up to around 5 years, in case this is a permanent exhibit.

Tiffany Trieu
    Designer
    Gallagher & Associates