Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Bringing back guided tours

Posted 10-13-2021 08:00 AM

Hello all!

Forgive me, as I’m sure this topic has probably been covered, but I'm very interested in hearing how other museums are managing the return of guided tours.

Our museum is located in a state that limits our ability to require masks or proof of vaccination.  Under these circumstances, a majority of our volunteer guides are disinclined to lead public tours, but a few have expressed an interest in providing private tours to small groups. 

We hosted one such group last week, and the participants, all unmasked, requested that the guide remove her mask because they were unable to hear her.  She acquiesced but told us afterward that she was extremely uncomfortable doing so.  We certainly don’t want to put our volunteers in situations that make them feel anxious or unsafe, and we will continue supporting those who choose to wear a mask.

We can foresee this becoming a recurring issue on guided tours, particularly as our visitor numbers rise.  We have listening devices available for tours, but our guides have always been loath to use them due to hygiene concerns, regardless of our measures to keep them clean.  In my mind, I can see things progressing toward making the listening devices a required component to mitigate any complaints from visitors who paid for tours that they couldn't hear. 

I’d love to know what others are experiencing with regard to guided tours, especially those at institutions that can’t require their visitors or volunteers to wear masks.  Are your volunteers hesitant about working with the public or have most of them returned to their previous roles?  What processes have you implemented to help them feel comfortable with guest interactions?  If you’re not currently offering tours at your museum, have you found another way for guides/docents to successfully engage with visitors?  I’m appreciative of any information you can share!

------------------------------
    Hollie Corbitt
    Volunteer Program Coordinator
    John & Mable Ringling Museum of Art
    Sarasota FL
    hollie.corbitt@ringling.org
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Bringing back guided tours

Posted 10-14-2021 08:29 AM
    Hollie,

I completely understand where you're coming from! We're in a similar situation, thought we're lucky to be federal so the President's rules overrule the governor's. We've decided to not even consider guided tours until we ae in low community transmission (as reported by the CDC). We aren't allowed to bring volunteers back until moderate transmission, and we want time to refresh and train volunteers on new initiatives before tours return. If there's a special situation where management require a tour, it will be conducted by a staff member, and if it is higher than moderate transmission, masks will be required for everyone. 

I cannot believe that the volunteer removed their mask! I would have absolutely said I would not. Volunteer safety comes before everything else to me. 

Good luck and I hope you find a solution.

Laura Eggert
    Volunteer & Visitor Services Coordinator
    Lyndon Baines Johnson Library & Museum
    Austin TX

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Bringing back guided tours

Posted 10-15-2021 07:10 AM
    Edited by Laura Vookles 10-15-2021 07:10 AM
    Hollie,

We are lucky to be able to require masks and may start requiring vaccination, but it gets very complicated with whether to allow proof of a recent test as an alternative, not to mention young children. I have given in-person tours of exhibitions and we also have other staff and a few docents who give them in the historic house.

We wear portable microphone devices over our masks, and it works pretty well. Something similar to this: https://smile.amazon.com/Amplifier-Microphone-Rechargeable-Bluetooth-Megaphone/dp/B07SH6DS6G/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=portable+microphone+amplifier&qid=1634295853&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE2R1oyS1dUSURSWFAmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTEwMDEyMjNXRUNBQ0c2NzczWlomZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDE3NDc5OTJFOTJaUDY5SkE1WUEmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl. I'm not promoting this particular brand. I didn't buy ours and don't know what make they are, but it's a device like this.

They are cheap enough to give it a try. It's only worn by the staff--nothing for visitors to do. And since it's over the mask--hygiene is not so much a concern. 

Be well,
    Laura Vookles
    Chair, Curatorial Department
    Hudson River Museum
    Yonkers NY

• 4.  RE: Bringing back guided tours

Posted 10-15-2021 08:20 AM
    Hi Hollie! We just started guided tours inside our historic house, we require masks for both the docent and visitors. Someone on the tour was deaf and is used to reading lips and was unable to understand any of the interpretation. After I was told about it, I'm laminating a print copy of our tour script for individuals to use on the tours if needed. Good luck!

Leslie Wagner
    Historian
    Dawes Arboretum
    Newark OH

• 5.  RE: Bringing back guided tours

Posted 10-15-2021 01:14 PM
    Hollie,

This are good questions on a sensitive topic. Masks are mandated in our county currently. We have some docents who are comfortable giving tours again with masks, but other who have chosen to come back yet. The museum has face masks to offer guests and staff/volunteers but also a couple of docents have opted to wear face shields. We have found those to be helpful for our more soft-spoken guides or for guests who might have hearing impairments. The response to the requirement has not caused any issue for us here, people are used to wearing masks pretty much everywhere.

We have decided not to require proof of vaccine now or in the coming future.

Val Van Alstyne
    General Director
    The Gordon House
    Silverton OR