Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Moving to Timed/Ticketed Tours

Posted 07-27-2017 10:50 AM

We are seeing significant numbers in our historic house museum, and it is creating a negative experience for our guests: too crowded. While we're expanding our landscape and grounds interpretation to de-emphasize the house within the overall experience, we're considering going to timed/ticketed tours w/ limited number at each time. Does anyone have any experience in making this transition? Mitigating negative feedback and fury on the part of visitors who--for 35 years--have been able to show up whenever they want and see inside the house? Thanks!

------------------------------
    Laura Kilcer VanHuss
    Curator
    Mandeville LA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Moving to Timed/Ticketed Tours

Posted 07-28-2017 07:52 PM
    Hi Laura,

I'm with acmeticketing.com. We have worked with lots of institutions, museums, gardens on timed-ticketing who all were facing similar visitor problems. I'd be happy to connect with you to learn more.

Michel Sayo
    Events
    Acme Technologies Inc.
    michel@acmeticketing.com

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Moving to Timed/Ticketed Tours

Posted 07-31-2017 09:24 AM
    ​Dear Laura: Ford's Theatre (an NPS site in Washington, D.C.) made the transition to timed entry in 2009. While we faced initial criticism before it was implemented, most of our patrons have come to appreciate the change, as they no longer have to wait in line for hours. If you would like more information about our process/transition, I can connect you with Allison Alonzy, who heads visitor operations and who played a role in the transition. Feel free to email directly at llorenz@fords.org.

Best of luck!

Liza Lorenz
    Director of Communications & Digital Strategy
    Ford's Theatre Society
    Washington DC