Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Partnering and/or Fellowships with International Museum

Posted 10-21-2020 01:50 PM

Hello all,

Our museum has been open to the idea of finding an international museum to partner with in some sort of capacity to share idea and perspectives, as well as mutual aid.  This could take a number of forms, but at the simplest we are open to essentially partnering and sending a staff member to work with them for a set period of time (one, two, three weeks, etc) and aid them in whatever capacity they need (although ideally it would be some sort of collections, exhibits, or outreach).  Essentially this would be a way to "bridge the gap" between different cultures and museums, with the possibility of us teaching them something new or them teaching us something new.  If they, in turn, wanted to send a staff member to visit our location we would be thrilled--but that is not necessary.

For a quick background, we are a very small rural history museum in the midwest.  Our budget would be somewhat limited, but depending on the location we feel we could probably cover travel costs.  If the host museum can help provide anything that's welcome, but not necessarily required.

Just wondering if anyone else has done anything like this in the past, and if you have any tips or advice.  Obviously we would need to reach out to a museum (or them contact us first) to establish mutual interest, and then formal invitations to follow (and possibly assistance with a visa depending on the location of the host museum).  There is no set timetable for this, just something we've been discussing for a few years.

If you were approached by a random international museum, would you considering hosting their staff and introducing them to your facility and community?

------------------------------
    Kenny Libben , Curator
    Cleo Redd Fisher Museum - Mohican Historical Society
    Loudonville OH
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Partnering and/or Fellowships with International Museum

Posted 10-22-2020 08:00 AM

Hi

What a great idea! It could be like a Sister City program. Many years ago when I worked at the MIT Museum we had a visitor from the Nobel Museum spend a month or so with us. I'm a huge believer in cross cultural exchange and think smaller museums are important places. It would be great if Museums did more of it. I'm retired now, but would be happy to help. Regards, Josie Patterson

Josephine Patterson
    Executive Director
    Cambridge MA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Partnering and/or Fellowships with International Museum

Posted 10-22-2020 09:27 AM
    @Josephine Patterson I was thinking of the Sisters City program as well. The cultural organizations in that town/city could be more receptive to a partnership. I've seen it work with an exchange between a regional US museum and German town's cultural department. The result was a temporary exhibit in the US museum focusing on the natural history and culture of the sister city and the US museum's participation in the German city's multi-day cultural festival.

*Please note the above statements are my own and not representative of Wells Fargo Museum or Wells Fargo & Company.

Stephenie Berggrun
    Associate Museum Manager
    Wells Fargo Museums
    Charlotte NC

• 4.  RE: Partnering and/or Fellowships with International Museum

Posted 10-22-2020 02:46 PM

@Josephine Patterson @Stephenie Berggrun

Yes, this would be very similar to a Sisters City sort of program!  I'll have to look more into how those programs work.  Obviously we​ would likely best benefit a similar institution (either by community, region, size or budget) but we're also very interested in emerging or struggling museums as well, even if there isn't a direct correlation.  I wish there was more support, both professional and monetary, for programs like this!   

Kenny Libben , Curator
    Cleo Redd Fisher Museum - Mohican Historical Society
    Loudonville OH