Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Policies for gathering natural materials for traditional tribal use from public lands

Posted 06-12-2020 02:24 PM
    Before I retired from my position as Tribal Affairs Manager, Cultural Resources Division, CA State Parks, 2 years ago, I was developing a policy to address this issue.  Are others working in this area? Has anyone come up with a workable policy - on the federal, state, county or municipal level?  I'd be glad to share what I find out. Thanks in advance for any information or guidance you can provide.
    Paulette Hennum

--
    Paulette Hennum
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Policies for gathering natural materials for traditional tribal use from public lands

Posted 06-17-2020 04:25 PM
    Hi Paulette,

Great to see your name again and to find out what you're working on.   You might want to get in contact with some of the indigenous basket-making groups about the country.  You've probably already talked to the folks at the California Basketweavers Association, but there's also the Maine Indian Basketmakers Alliance, the Northwest Native American Basketweavers Association, the Oneida Basket Guild (WI), the Great Basin Native Basketweavers Association, and the Oklahoma Native American Basketweavers.  

You might also want to check with Honor the Earth.   They're an awareness and support group for Native American environmental issues and I would guess know what kinds of policies exist or are in the works.

Stay safe!

------------------------------
    Janice Klein

Tempe AZ

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Policies for gathering natural materials for traditional tribal use from public lands

Posted 06-18-2020 08:58 AM
    Edited by Sarah Glass 06-18-2020 08:59 AM

Hello Paulette,

The National Park Service Cultural Resources Division and American Indian Liaison Office offer guidance for traditional plant gathering on NPS (Federal) lands. A handy guide can be found here: https://www.nps.gov/history/tribes/Documents/Public_NPSPlantGathering_Guide_July2017.pdf or you can contact plant_gathering@nps.gov for more information.

Hope that helps!

Sarah

Sarah Glass
    Notice and Grant Coordinator
    National Park Service
    Washington DC