Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Volunteer "Uniforms"

Posted 08-24-2017 01:35 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to gather some ideas about volunteer "uniforms." Presently, the only uniform has been a bright orange lanyard with a badge including their picture, name, and status as a volunteer. Our leadership team feels that this is no longer eye-catching enough for our visitors, and I've been asked to come up with a more visible alternative. There has been talk of including our front-end staff in this change as well since all staff members also wear the orange lanyards. The go-to option that everyone keeps mentioning is a vest, but personally, most of the ones I've found feel really cheesy (or they're made of fleece, which would be too hot in the summer). Does anyone use a vest that they really love and that staff and/or volunteers genuinely don't mind wearing? Or better yet, does anyone use anything that's NOT a vest?! An eye catching badge, a hat, a scarf, etc. Preferably some sort of accessory so that people can still wear what they want to wear. I really want this to be something cool and not just a uniform because I'm trying to be very sensitive to how this will make volunteers feel. We are a very casual museum, and I'd like to keep that culture.

Any input or ideas would be much appreciated! I'm stumped on this one. Feel free to email me directly, if you'd prefer. My email is ldrasner@fcmod.org

Thank you,

Laurel

image001.jpg@01D1F3BB.B2963F40

Laurel Drasner

Volunteer Coordinator

Email: ldrasner@fcmod.org

Phone: 970-416-4310

FBTwitter

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Volunteer "Uniforms"

Posted 08-24-2017 02:53 PM

Great question, Laurel!

We've been pondering the same thing, as currently our workers simply have a black badge with the museum logo and a label (volunteer, staff, curator, etc) on it.  We've discussed shirts, preferably polos, but unfortunately that appears cost prohibitive...especially with most of our volunteers only staffing the museum for 8-15 hours a year.

I'm afraid I don't have much in the way of a solution, but I'll be following along in hopes of getting ideas!

------------------------------
    Kenny Libben , Curator
    Cleo Redd Fisher Museum - Mohican Historical Society
    Loudonville OH

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Volunteer "Uniforms"

Posted 08-25-2017 10:30 AM

We offer both t-shirts and name tags to volunteers. The name tags look quite different than our staff ones, being blue rather than white, are larger, and have our volunteer program logo rather than just our organization logo.  We ordered them through camaloon.com and you can get 50 for just over $1 each (custom rectangular design). We use a label maker for volunteer names.

Over the past two years we've had a $10 deposit system in place for the t-shirts, which helps us off-set the costs. I always tell volunteers to let me know if that is financially burdensome and I'll waive it, which hasn't happened yet. We offer $5 back if they return the shirt in good condition; however, over the two years and nearly 60 shirts, I've only had one person ask for the deposit back.

Because we are a fairly small organization and don't have a full time volunteer coordinator, we don't do a spectacular job at tracking and asking for volunteer gear back. That might be more important to other organizations and might mean you do refund the deposit more often.

I hope that helps! Best of luck!

Michelle Mileham
    Director of Education
    Tracy Aviary
    Salt Lake City UT

• 4.  RE: Volunteer "Uniforms"

Posted 08-25-2017 10:58 AM
    ​We provide polo's with  the museum logo stitched on; there are two signature colors. Mostly staff/volunteers wear them for special events, such as free days or concert events however, they can be worn for everyday use as well. All volunteers have name badges.
    Wearing these for events helps the public identify who are staff/volunteer members

Deborah Price
    Guest Services & Volunteer Manager
    Museum of the Shenandoah Valley
    Winchester VA

• 5.  RE: Volunteer "Uniforms"

Posted 08-28-2017 09:00 AM
    ​We also use Tee and Polo shirts here at the Academy of Natural Sciences and when it's a busy day this helps visitors identify staff and volunteers more easily. In the past we used aprons which had the advantage of having pockets for objects volunteers used out on the floor. They also had the advantage of being something we could leave here for volunteers to use when they came. Someone did need to launder them from time to time. They weren't as comfortable as a shirt would be and are not as easy to find as they were 15 to 20 years ago!

I can see the argument for a more casual look where volunteers can wear what they want and an accessory would serve to add a unifying and identifying look to those on the floor of the museum. I have not seen anyone do this except at an AAM conference where the volunteers had a Tee shirt but also a colorful bandana. For women, a scarf makes sense but a bandana also works for men. But without a Tee shirt, this might not serve to add the visibility you are seeking.

Good luck.

Lois Kuter

Lois Kuter
    Manager of Volunteer Services
    Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
    Philadelphia PA

• 6.  RE: Volunteer "Uniforms"

Posted 08-29-2017 07:00 AM
    Hi Laurel,

I am not sure if this is a fit for all your volunteers but at the Detroit Science Center our volunteers used to wear white lab coats with our logo on the back. Very obvious to visitors and volunteers wore what they wanted unterneath. 

- Beth

Elizabeth Chilton
    Manager of Curatorial Affairs
    Arab American National Museum
    Dearborn MI

• 7.  RE: Volunteer "Uniforms"

Posted 08-28-2017 09:27 AM
    I work at a fairly large museum and we have a huge volunteer community. In some areas the volunteers are asked to wear black pants with a white top. If the volunteer is a team captain, then they'll wear a red shirt instead. Some areas require a specific vest or lab coat. Usually the vests are on loan from the museum with the option to purchase. In our gallery for ECE visitors, our volunteers wear museum provided yellow t-shirts with the gallery name and a fun picture. Same goes for the volunteers that help with our camps, but the t-shirt color and design changes each year. Regardless of where they're volunteering, everyone wears a museum badge and a name tag, often on a museum lanyard. As staff, at least in my department (we're in gallery Educator/Performers) we're required to wear all black. We also have blue fleece vests we can wear that are uniform throughout the museum in multiple departments. I also recently looked into volunteering at another cultural organization and their volunteers wear either black or khaki pants with a white top, plus a lanyard/name tag. I hope this helps!

Amber Parham
    Museum Educator/Performer
    Denver Museum of Nature & Science
    Denver CO

• 8.  RE: Volunteer "Uniforms"

Posted 08-30-2017 11:55 AM
    ​Thank you all so much for your ideas and input! I really appreciate it. This is very helpful to hear what other organizations are doing and what has/hasn't worked!

Laurel Drasner
    Volunteer Coordinator
    Fort Collins Museum of Discovery
    Fort Collins CO