Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Image Fees

Posted 06-25-2020 01:32 PM

I am rethinking what my organization charges for scans or prints of our photographs. What does your museum/archive charge? I appreciate the input.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Lucht

Curator

Dayton History

1000 Carillon Blvd.

Dayton, Ohio  45409

P:  937.293.2841 Ext. 131

F:  937.293.5798

Description: Description: Description: Description: website.pngDescription: Description: Description: Description: Follow_Facebook.PNGDescription: Description: Description: Description: Follow_Twitter.jpgDescription: Description: Description: Description: youtube_icon.jpg.pngDescription: Description: Description: Description: flickr.png

DAH Logo_1C.jpg

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Image Fees

Posted 06-26-2020 10:39 AM
    Hi Steven,

I used to work for the State Archives of New Mexico and they had a very extensive fee schedule for their photos/digitization. If you reached out to them, they'd share it with you as it's part of their services. The link they offer for the fee schedule seems to be broken. However, reproduction requests were very common/everyday practice there. I probably did a few every week. 

Another place I worked for - that didn't handle much digitization/publication of images - initially, didn't charge at all nor have a strong policy in place, which I rectified. Since this location did very little, I kept it simple. If it was digitized already, it was $5 for commercial use (with the understanding that any publication would be offered/given to us), and free for educational/non-profit use. If we had to digitize it (based on capabilities), it was $5 for educational and $10 for commercial - with the same caveats. If we could not digitize it ourselves, the borrower would pay to have it digitized and would not owe us anything. We maybe did 10-15 orders the entire time I worked there (3 years) so keeping it simple made sense. We only utilized digital files via drop box or e-mail. Other locations will offer flash drives, CDs, at cost.

No matter where I worked, we made sure that appropriate credit was given as well and included that as part of the digital file (e.g. in photoshop: expand canvas, add layer, add text).

Honestly, I feel it all depends on capabilities, staff availability, and funding needs. 

Hope this helps?

------------------------------
    Samantha Tubbs
    Museum Director
    The New Mexico Military Museum
    ------------------------------

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more