Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Opening a museum

Posted 03-12-2022 12:35 PM
    Good afternoon,
    I'm looking for some guidance the right way to get started in preparing to open a museum. Can someone share with be a museum business plan that I can use as a benchmark. From start to finish - 
    Thank you for your help on this
    Gary Grunner
    grunneronwine@gmail.com
    917-826-2667

------------------------------
    Gary Grunner
    Project Director
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Opening a museum

Posted 03-14-2022 08:58 AM

Hello, Gary,

The American Alliance of Museums (AAM) has a list of Core Documents, those integral to museum integrity, that include, but may not be limited to, the following: Mission Statement, Institutional Code of Ethics, Governance, Collections and Collections Management Policy, Programs, Strategic Institutional Plan and Disaster Preparedness.

Once a member of the AAM, one may access endless resources that include sample documents.

The AAM also has a program called Museum Assessment Program (MAP). Two of the Museum Assessment Program Officers include  Brianne Roth and  Susan Zwerling.  That office may be reached by calling 202. 289. 9118.  While this office assists museum teams to assess their operations, collections, governance, policies and procedures, etc. to ready themselves for accreditation or re-accreditation, the program officers might have some suggestions to you as you start your museum!

Terrie

Terrie Nolinske, Ph.D.
    Principal, TNI Consultants LLC
    813. 973. 2102
    tni@tniconsultants.com
    Tampa, FL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Opening a museum

Posted 03-16-2022 05:14 PM
    Hi Garrie,

Besides Terrie's excellent input and suggestion, I believe firms like Lord Cultural Services (and others) can provide help and guidance in this regard.

And, if your Museum will be hosting 'rental' and/or Museum 'internal' events that require food and/or beverage catering, I am happy to provide some recommendations and advice (no cost/charge) how best to contract with catering (caterers).

And, based on your note above, I have no idea of geographic location, size, visitor count and demographics of visitors, number of staff/volunteers, et. and 'if' you need to have some form on dining (food and beverages) for these people at the Museum, I am happy to provide some advice in that regard too (not cost/charge)

I have worked with about 400 cultural institutions in the U.S. and some in Canada the past 25+ years as a consultant and happy to share my knowledge and expertise if helpful in any of these areas, and maybe can help with your store if you will have one, online retail presence, etc.

Best wishes,
    Art

Art Manask
    Founder/Principal
    Art Manask Consulting
    artmanask@gmail.com
    818 358-3588
    www.artmanaskconsulting.com