Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Front Staff Dress Code

Posted 07-12-2017 12:02 PM
    What's your institution's dress code for front desk staff? Do your archivists have required clothing? Do any other employees have required clothing? Do the volunteers wear the same required clothing as staff? 
    Thanks for your input. We are updating our policy.

------------------------------
    Chris Knasiak
    Museum Coordinator
    Motorcyclepedia
    Newburgh NY
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Front Staff Dress Code

Posted 07-13-2017 12:20 PM
    Hi Chris,
    All DMNS guest-facing team members have a uniform of some sort. 

Guest Services has a variety of options including branded short sleeved polos, button down shirts, vests, and jackets that must be worn. We also specify what can be worn underneath and require a nametag and only a branded lanyard if the team member chooses to wear one (alternatively, they may wear badge on clip). We require neutral bottoms (tan or black) and allow clean, un-ripped, or decorated jeans. Knee length skirts are allowed. Our team must also wear closed-toed shoes with no more than a 2" heel. For team members who are not assigned to a guest-facing role on a specific day, they may wear work-appropriate clothes and must have the ability to meet the dress code if they are reassigned. The Museum provides the tops/vests/jackets/lanyards/badge clips and team members maintain them. 

Other departments including Food Services, Museum Shop, Museum Programs have similar requirements. All Museum team members receive a nametag and are asked to wear it daily, regardless of their role - it helps when you see folks you don't know behind-the-scenes!

Please let me know if you need more details.
    Best,
    Stephanie

Stephanie Wood
    Director of Guest Services
    Denver Museum of Nature & Science
    Denver CO

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Front Staff Dress Code

Posted 07-17-2017 11:10 AM
    Edited by Megan Osetek 07-17-2017 11:14 AM
      |   view attached
    HI Chris, 

Our front line staff have a very similar dress code that Stephanie outlined for their museum in Denver. I have attached our dress code policy for you to reference. I do periodically update it from year to year, but it pretty much has been the same for the last 3 years. As for other museum staff, i.e. director, collections manager, registrar, etc. they have the option to wear a branded polo, but not required and dress more "business casual" on a daily basis. Our business casual usually means dress pants, button up shirt or polo and many ladies wear dresses or skirts as they like. Anytime I will be on the floor for an extended period of time, I wear a museum branded polo and/or a sweater to identify myself to the public. 

Let me know if you have any questions about the document.

Megan Osetek
    Coordinator of Interpretation
    Kalamazoo Valley Museum
    Kalamazoo MI

Attachment(s)

docx
    IS dress code.docx   18 KB 1 version