Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Creating an Integrated Pest Management: How did you start?

Posted 10-16-2018 06:52 PM
    Hello all!

I've recently been hired at a museum to create an IPM plan to be integrated into museum operations, specifically in buildings holding collections.  However, after surveying the buildings, I realize I certainly have my work cut out for me.  I have IPM experience from another posiiton, but this is the first time I'm starting from scratch so I'm looking for some guidance.

Can anyone offer any advice on what's the best way to begin implementing best IPM practices in a way that doesn't overwhelm all the staff?  What worked for you and what did not?  What did you find to be the most crucial components of a successful and lasting IPM program?

Any and all advice is much appreciated!

Cheers,

------------------------------
    Catherine Bollich
    Museum of Northern Arizona
    Flagstaff AZ
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Creating an Integrated Pest Management: How did you start?

Posted 10-17-2018 11:24 AM
    Hello Catherine-

I started our IPM program slowly, with the help and advice of MuseumPests.net. It is incredibly valuable tool, filled with advice.
    I would start with placing multiple traps in all the storage spaces. I check ours monthly and add the data in the ZPest Tracker, then create reports by exporting into Excel. You will need to have a good amount of data before you can get "buy in" from other staff members.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask me off-line. mnicolett@dma.org

Mary Nicolett
    Senior Preparator, IPM Coordinator
    Dallas Museum of Art
    Dallas TX

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Creating an Integrated Pest Management: How did you start?

Posted 10-17-2018 11:26 AM
    No need to start from scratch. An indispensable resource: Museum Pests website, Museumpests.net, will lead you to a network of the best practitioners, and the site holds a library of sample documents, policies and Powerpoints that have been shared by members of the IPM Working Group. You can contact any of the Working Group contributors for advice and assistance. Best of luck!

James Bryant
    Consultant, SOJOURN Science-Nature-Education
    Santa Fe NM

• 4.  RE: Creating an Integrated Pest Management: How did you start?

Posted 10-17-2018 11:34 AM
    ​Hi there!  You will find critical information at museumpests.net

AIC supports this, it was set up by Racheal Arenstein, and is a comprehensive source with information and links!

Steven Sciscenti

Steven Sciscenti
    Asian Art Museum of San Francisco
    San Francisco CA

• 5.  RE: Creating an Integrated Pest Management: How did you start?

Posted 10-18-2018 01:52 PM
    You can also find two webinars done for Connecting to Collections by Rachael Arenstein on IPM programs - these are available free at Connecting to Collections Care in our archives:

Stressed About Pests? Prevention, Monitoring, & Identification Stressed About Pests? Prevention, Monitoring, & Identification

Stressed About Pests? Treating Infestations 

Susan

M. Susan Barger PhD
    Online Community Coordinator Connecting to Collections Care
    Foundation of the American Institute & Artistic Works (FAIC)
    Washington DC

• 6.  RE: Creating an Integrated Pest Management: How did you start?

Posted 10-17-2018 02:00 PM
    Well I guess I don't have to mention museumpest.net, but you might be interested in the 4 week online professional development course that begins Nov. 5 on MuseumStudy.com Integrated Pest Management: The Plan and Implementation. Taught by Carnegie Museum of Natural History Conservator Gretchen Anderson in this course participants will learn how to apply IPM principles to their specific situation and institution. A draft plan and specific implementation strategies will be developed and discussed. For more information visit the website: http://www.museumstudy.com/courses/course-list/integrated-pest-management-the-plan-implementation/

Bradford Bredehoft
    CEO
    Museum Study - Museum Study, LLC

• 7.  RE: Creating an Integrated Pest Management: How did you start?

Posted 10-17-2018 03:51 PM

Dear Catherine,
    You will likely get many replies giving you the same information:  take a look at http://museumpests.net/  They should have all the info you need.
    Good luck!

Deborah Trupin
    Textile Conservator
    TrupinConservation Services, LLC
    Albany NY