Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Staff Background Checks

• 1.  Staff Background Checks

Posted 07-02-2019 12:49 PM
    I would like to know which positions get background checks as part of the hiring process at your institution. Also, do you hire an outside firm to do them? Any additional details or advice would be helpful.

------------------------------
    Sarah Jencks
    Director of Education and Interpretation
    Ford's Theatre Society
    Washington DC
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Staff Background Checks

Posted 07-03-2019 02:07 PM

We at Sacramento History Museum do background checks on all employees.  We use an outside company that we send employees to.  It costs around $75 per person.  You establish the criteria, designate someone who will keep the information so that not all eyes see the results.  They then report pass or fail.

Hope this helps.   

Delta Pick Mello

Executive Director / CEO

Inspiring and connecting people through history 

Sacramento History Alliance

101 I Street, Sacramento, CA 95814

Office: 916-808-7108

Cell: 916-769-7678

FAX: 916-808-5100

Email: dmello@cityofsacramento.org

Time travel device 111219

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Staff Background Checks

Posted 07-03-2019 04:30 PM
    Thank you!

Sarah Jencks
    Ford's Theatre | Where Lincoln's Legacy Lives
    514 Tenth Street NW
    Washington, DC 20004

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: Staff Background Checks

Posted 07-04-2019 11:34 AM
    ​The Harry S. Truman Little White House ( a 900 SF house museum with botanical gardens) located in Key west, FL  does a background check on all employees. We have a number of valuable artifacts that could be stolen and disappear through internet auctions. We have a number of school children that tour,  so must protect them from sexual predators. We need trustworthy individuals to protect our collections as guests tour the rooms. I think you get the point. We too pay around that $75-100 per employee , but consider it a wise investment in that one bad apple could far exceed that.

Robert Wolz
    Director
    Harry Truman Little White House SHL
    Key West FL

• 5.  RE: Staff Background Checks

Posted 07-03-2019 02:39 PM
    Edited by Joe Hoover 07-03-2019 02:41 PM
    I would also recommend background checks on volunteers for relevant positions, such as working with children or those having access to collections or money. Most thefts from museums are committed internally by employees or volunteers rather than externally.

Joe Hoover
    Field Services
    Minnesota Historical Society
    Saint Paul MN

• 6.  RE: Staff Background Checks

Posted 07-03-2019 05:08 PM
    Thank you!

Sarah Jencks
    Ford's Theatre | Where Lincoln's Legacy Lives
    514 Tenth Street NW
    Washington, DC 20004

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: Staff Background Checks

Posted 07-05-2019 09:26 AM

I would also recommend ensuring there are background checks on volunteers who work with Collections. This is partially for theft prevention. This is partially to stay in compliance with federal law if your museum possesses firearms. 

**For the purpose of this post, I am using the federal definition of a firearm as a cartridge-firing arm manufactured after 1898. This does not apply to muzzleloaders and most cartridge arms manufactured during the 1800s (Spencers, Burnsides, Sharps, and Henrys come to mind).

Federal firearms law precludes certain people from coming into contact with firearms. The list of "Prohibited Persons" includes anyone: 

• convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
    • who is a fugitive from justice;
    • who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act, codified at 21 U.S.C. § 802);

• who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution;

• who is an illegal alien;

• who has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;

• who has renounced his or her United States citizenship;

• who is subject to a court order restraining the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of the intimate partner; or
    • who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

My vote is always to background check everyone, not just staff, not just volunteers who will come into contact with visitors. 

Background check everyone. 

Good Luck! 

David Kennedy
    Curator of Collections and Exhibits
    US Marshals Museum
    Fort Smith, AR

• 8.  RE: Staff Background Checks

Posted 07-05-2019 10:07 AM
    We conduct criminal background checks on all volunteers, docents, and staff members as we all have access to children.
    I use an outside local employer association and was able to negotiate a lower cost for the volunteers and docents who have no wage associated with the position and pay a higher fee for our internal employees.

Lisa Penkwitz-DeMartino
    Dir. of HR & Labor Relations
    Milwaukee Public Museum
    Milwaukee WI

• 9.  RE: Staff Background Checks

Posted 07-05-2019 10:23 AM
    I agree with Joe Hoover's response.  We run background checks on all of our adult volunteers since they all have the opportunity to work with children. 

We use Verified First and the cost can vary based on what types of reports you need.  Our reports on volunteers typically cost $77, but can be much more expensive if they've lived under different names, or require county records from some of the more expensive counties (New York counties cost about triple what most of the country costs, for instance).  The service is very good, though I think it's a little pricey at times. 

Hope this helps!

Paul Bishop
    Volunteer Programs Supervisor
    Space Center Houston
    Houston TX

• 10.  RE: Staff Background Checks

Posted 07-04-2019 07:15 AM
    In Washington, DC you cannot ask about criminal history until a conditional offer of employment is made. Then you can conduct your check.

i would recommend that, if you don't have an in house Human Resources professional, that you hire one to draft a policy for you and set up a system, perhaps preparing and RFP and helping you choose a vendor. Keep in mind that using an third party to conduct the checks requires conformity with the Fair Credit Reporting Act. 

That being said, you should consider what level of checks you want for specific classifications of employees/volunteers. For example, certain states require child abuse clearances in addition to criminal background and FBI clearances for anyone working with children and certain executives. Others prohibit credit checks for certain jobs such as retail. So, you really should not tackle this on your own!

Here is a resource for you:

https://ohr.dc.gov/page/returningcitizens/applicants

Roslyn Schaffer, SHRM-SCP, SPHR
    Chief Human Resources Officer
    Philadelphia, PA
    roz.schaffer@rhd.org

• 11.  RE: Staff Background Checks

Posted 07-05-2019 10:29 AM
    Hello!

At our museum we require all paid and non paid staff to have a criminal background check, child abuse clearance and FBI fingerprint check. This is in addition to a background check for paid staff that happens before they are hired. My department absorbs the price for the background check, and the individual is required to get their clearances. If the individual provides us proof that they have current clearances, we accept that in lieu of having them complete the process again. 

I hope this helps! Good luck! :)

Apryl Peroney
    Program Manager, Interactive & Traveling Exhibits
    Carnegie Science Center
    Pittsburgh PA

• 12.  RE: Staff Background Checks

Posted 07-09-2019 10:09 AM
    The State of Missouri conducts background checks on all full & part-time museum staff​ and volunteers.  Being a state agency ours likely go through the highway patrol.  It is a good investment for any institution because if no check is preformed and something happens it could cost you more. Now just because someone has a legal history doesn't necessarily preclude them from employment it would depend on the crime, how long ago it was committed, and their intended role at the museum.

Kate

Katherine Owens
    Curator of Collections
    Missouri State Museum
    Jefferson City, MO