Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Code of Ethics question..

Posted 12-05-2016 01:19 AM

Hi, 

I'm doing my AMA with the  Museums' Association in UK. My project is based on the Code of Ethics and the changing world of museums. 

A shortened version of my approved project is ''I would like to continue exploring the issues that museums have in implementing the Code of Ethics and try to understand why they do or don’t, and what they want.

Will they adhere to one if each museum was allowed to create their own under guidelines, and register it at an organization (ICOM, UNESCO, AAM etc) or would they come together country wide and create what they know is feasible, given the country’s sustainability? Or are they happy following what ICOM and MA and UNESCO have laid out for them?.....It is difficult to know what the impact will be but my hope is that no matter what organisation reads my report, they will understand that the Code of Ethics is important, and that there can be a way for museums to follow it without interference from politics, history, lack of funding or environmental issues''

Given that digital media, digital open source, wars, finance, politics environment etc are affecting museums all the more now, what is your views on how your museums are able to uphold the Code of Ethics? (I promise no one will get into trouble if they say they are tempted to sell an object for cash .. :-p  Just don't do it. Northampton Museum selling of the Sekhemka statue is an example  )..

Do you have a problem implementing the Code of Ethics? Would you call for a revamp, or would you be willing to change certain aspects of it? 

Do you think that ICOM should regard the Code of Ethics a slightly pliable for certain countries, giving their global situations? At least 15 museums in City History Museums and Research Network of Europe have been asking for an addendum to the Code of Ethics for their own countries. 

This is an American Museum forum..and I quite understand the next few years are very unsure.. I need your worries and concerns, if any,  about upholding the Code of Ethics here. 

I travel between India and UK. India has no Code of Ethics..they walked out on ICOM. Corruption...oh yes..sure. I was in fact uncovering pocketing of funds, when I was told what may be a possible out come. Not a friendly one for sure. 

I throw this discussion open to the winds...

------------------------------
    Rosie Daswani

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Code of Ethics question..

Posted 12-06-2016 09:35 AM
    For a quick clarification -- are you looking at museums' codes of ethics for their own institutional behavior or codes that they establish for staff behavior?

--
    Barbara Cohen-Stratyner, Ph. D.
    Suite 7C, 265 Riverside Drive

As Yip Harburg said, Song is the anodyne for humanity.  This is not the first time that American has needed song to re-instate its faith in democracy and diversity.  Come see "Laughter, agita and Rage:" Political cabaret in Isaiah Sheffer's NYC.  It is in the Plaza and Steinberg corridors at the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts or on-line at https://www.nypl.org/events/exhibitions/laughter-agita-rage.

James Baldwin - You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. [Early Essays]

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Code of Ethics question..

Posted 12-07-2016 03:17 AM

Hi Barbara, 

Sorry for a delayed reply. I am approximately 12 hours ahead of you..ie..time difference. 

I'm talking about the  museums' codes of ethics for their own institutional behavior. 

Cheers, 

Rosie

Rosie Daswani
    Kent