Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Humidity Control & Silica Gel Packs

Posted 04-09-2018 01:27 PM
    Hello,

This is a smaller museum question. I'm wondering if anyone's seen results from just using silica gel packs to assist in controlling humidity fluctuations in display cases. I know these are low tech, but it'll be several years and much construction work and paperwork before we're able to install some kind of improved climate control system in our 18th century landmarked building, so I figure better to have something than nothing.

I'd appreciate any opinions!

Best,
    Ruthie

------------------------------
    Ruth Osborne
    Curator of Collections
    Mount Vernon Hotel Museum & Garden
    New York NY
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Humidity Control & Silica Gel Packs

Posted 04-10-2018 09:54 AM
    Ruth,

In my experience working with conservators, silica gel is the most widely used form of in-case humidity control. It is typically used in vitrines but not large wall cases as it is more difficult to condition large volumes with this method. You have to start with a gasketed case that is as air tight as possible. The silica, usually in a canister or in pellet form, (also available in packets from Dick's Sporting Goods) is hidden in the case (under a pedestal) or in a contiguous space below the display area of the case. Some clients put a humidity monitor or humidity strip (less expensive) in the case to monitor the humidity level before they seal the case. I have also observed museums put charcoal fabric inside the case as well to absorb impurities off-gased by some objects so they will not effect other items in the same case. It will take a bit of time for the case humidity to stabilize once the case is sealed. There are many variables here, and the best practice for case design has evolved over time and continues to evolve. Humidity, off gassing of objects, UV light control, safe materials used to construct the case, and different humidity requirements for different objects that might be displayed in the the same case are just some of the challenges. In my experience, museums tend to do the best that they can with the funds and casework that are available to them. Many museums would not be able to display their collections at all if they had to follow the best practices for case environmental controls, as it would be cost prohibitive. You have to start somewhere.

Good luck with your displays.

Mike

Michael Hanke
    Exhibit Designer
    Design Division, Inc.
    Hadley MA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Humidity Control & Silica Gel Packs

Posted 04-11-2018 08:14 AM
    I have used space driers (the heated metal tubes commonly used to dehumidify ships' lockers and pianos) with great success in my art storage space for the past 30 years.  They exude low heat sufficient to dry a specific number of cubic feet and sip electricity. They require no maintenance. Hope that helps.

Best, Tina Spiro

Tina Spiro
    Artist/Curator
    Miami FL

• 4.  RE: Humidity Control & Silica Gel Packs

Posted 04-12-2018 10:15 AM
    ​Ruth:

Silica gel can also be purchased in the form a rigid sheet that can both absorb and desorb humidity in order to maintain an enclosed environment within a preset RH range.  This is the material that I'm most familiar with being used to control humidity within enclosed display cases.  Because it comes in the form of a flat sheet, it is often placed immediately underneath the fabric or other porous liner on the bottom of the display case.  I would imagine that there maybe multiple sources for this product, but the one I'm most familiar with is marketed as either "ARTsorb" or "Art sorb." 

John

John Coraor PhD
    Director of Cultural Affairs
    Town of Huntington
    Huntington NY