Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Election 2020 and Museums

• 1.  Election 2020 and Museums

Posted 10-28-2019 04:36 PM
    Hi all,

I am working on a book on museums and civic engagement, and presidential elections offer an opportunity for museums to promote civic engagement in many different ways. I am really interested in:

1) What ways do museums leverage the civic fervor of an election to promote/ offer opportunities for civic engagement? (For example, serving as voting sites, hosting candidate debates, hosting watch and talk sessions for debates, promoting specific candidates or policies, creating exhibits related to the presidency or elections, inviting candidates to speak, sharing the history of voting, etc...)

2) What ways should museums get involved in elections? Either presidential or local?

I'd imagine there are a broad set of thoughts here, and I am interested in hearing your thoughts.

------------------------------
    Anthony Pennay
    Chief Learning Officer
    Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation
    Simi Valley CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Election 2020 and Museums

Posted 10-29-2019 07:55 AM
    Dear Anthony - First, let me say that we host, in our auditorium, local candidates debates.

BUT!!! A CAUTION - 501(c)(3) organizations are strictly prohibited by I.R.S. regulations from any form of lobbying or political involvement.

Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this e-mail and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Election 2020 and Museums

Posted 10-30-2019 11:19 AM
    I love this topic. An interesting distinction is civic engagement compared to civic literacy. The more that institutions can cultivate civic literacy (including behaviors, such as empathy, forbearance, give-and-take, etc.) the best positioned we'll be for civic engagement.

At my current job, a county historical society, I was thrilled to learn we are local polling place. In 2020 we are also planning an exhibit and programs on the 19th amendment and women's suffrage.

At my last job, at Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest, our subject area was rich with opportunity. The easiest or most straight-forward program was our salon series (basically mini-panel discussions with an audience) on freedom of religion, fake news, Black Lives Matter, race and democracy, monuments. Personally they were very satisfying but the audience was older but occasionally a good mix of black and white folks. But not exactly civic literacy. (Check out there YouTube page for examples https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP0yxi1xXDy0u3Mz6Hnfo_A )

More difficult to create was a program where kids get to talk to talk/interview Thomas Jefferson and other founding notables (we were fortunate to have relationships with Colonial Williamsburg). I found it challenging to design the program to go beyond history to civic literacy. Here's an example:

Shaping the World: Conversations on Democracy with Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson
    YouTube remove preview
    Shaping the World: Conversations on Democracy with Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson
    General Andrew Jackson and Mr. Jefferson were put on the hot seat in a wide-ranging interview conducted by students from Paul Laurence Dunbar Middle School in Lynchburg, Virginia. Jackson made a surprise visit to Poplar Forest while on his way to Washington, DC, where he would be greeted as the hero of the Battle of New Orleans.
    View this on YouTube >

Wayne Gannaway
    Executive Director
    History Center of Olmsted County

• 4.  RE: Election 2020 and Museums

Posted 10-29-2019 10:17 AM
    Civic Engagement and Museums is a great topic for books, articles and ongoing discussion. My response doesn't directly address your question about presidential elections but the larger topic in case you're including references or case studies on civic engagement examples at museums. I worked for many years at Monterey Bay Aquarium and we created numerous exhibits encouraging, empowering and enabling visitors to communicate with elected officials on topics from marine protected areas to fishing regulations and climate change. I'm happy to provide more information about the efforts if you're interested. I've had conversations with other colleagues who have created civic opportunities at museums as well and ones who have not been able to get support for them. I hope more people will post with examples.
    Cheers,
    Jenny-Sayre

Jenny Sayre Ramberg
    Principal, Ramberg Works
    Sparks MD

• 5.  RE: Election 2020 and Museums

Posted 10-29-2019 10:19 AM
    Hello - 

On more than one occasion we have been a voter registration location for New Orleans.  Our founders were interested in voting rights and worked on voter registration from the 1940s-1970s so we use that as historic precedent for the program.  It allows us to relate to an election but not get involved in supporting a person or position.   Vivian is correct that we are not allowed to have any political involvement which might discourage some locations from doing more direct programming.

Lenora

Lenora Costa
    Curator
    Longue Vue House & Gardens
    New Orleans LA

• 6.  RE: Election 2020 and Museums

Posted 10-29-2019 10:31 AM
    At Living History Farms in Des Moines, Iowa, we are embracing a new interpretive theme next year on civic engagement in rural communities.  We are an iconic gathering place and host many elected officials and candidates either as rental revenue for their own events - town halls, forums, rally etc. and really embrace being a community convener for such community events. We have hosted Vice Presidents Dan Quayle and recently Joe Biden, First Lady Barbara Bush, Presidents Obama and Trump, our Congressman, the US Secretary of Agriculture (Perdue) and a multitude of federal candidates on the campaign trail including US Secretary of State Hilary R Clinton.  Our former Congressman hosted many a town hall here as well. In addition, media outlets have used our site for Iowa Town Halls on immigration and other issues.  Most recently, Harris Faulkner hosted a Fox News town hall.

As a part of our interpretive theme on civic engagement,  we will be a caucus location site for the county Democrat party.  We offered our site to both parties and the first one to respond was given the opportunity. We will plan an education event beforehand for our members and kids to "caucus for cookies" to teach them about the caucus process which has a rich tradition in rural Iowa communities. 

Historically, we will do a suffrage tea next year which connects to one of our historic sites, the Flynn Mansion.  We read the Declaration of Independence annually at our 4th of July event and we host a circuit court day where we take a case from the late 1870's and the public sits in as the jury to determine the outcome. Planning is currently underway for more civic programs but this should give you a sense of what we are doing currently.  

I think the most important thing is to be authentic to your site and location and play on those assets to leverage the theme of civic engagement. Feel free to call me directly if you are interested in more information.  I have visited the Library and Museum and just love it! I am a big fan. Best, ruth

--
    Ruth C. Haus
    President
    p:515.278.5286 x121
    w:www.LHF.org
    e:rhaus@lhf.org

• 7.  RE: Election 2020 and Museums

Posted 10-29-2019 10:44 AM
    CCHS has been civically engaged in a variety of ways. For many years, Chester County Historical Society has been a polling place. In education, we received funding to develop a school outreach trunk on Civic Engagement that shows students how decisions are made through voting. Interestingly, it was not initially borrowed very much even though it was on the info brochure sent to schools. However, in the last two years or so, that has changed dramatically. It has become one of the most popular trunks for teachers to rent. Exhibits hope to inspire civic engagement through subject matter and interactives. What is Open Space? dealt with changes in the community and the 25th anniversary of a voter referendum on the subject. There were blank post cards for visitors to write about an issue that was important and "mail" it to their member of congress (CCHS did the mailing). Many Nations | Chester County featured 300 years of diversity in the county and showed the history of naturalization in the U.S. The accompanying symposium was based on the National Issues Forum immigration workbook -- speakers about the history, economics and legalities of immigration, followed by moderated discussions. With each new project we try to help visitors of all ages recognize the relevance of the subject today.

Ellen Endslow
    Director of Collections/Curator
    Chester County Historical Society
    West Chester PA

• 8.  RE: Election 2020 and Museums

Posted 10-29-2019 12:32 PM
    Just to clarify what Vivian said above, nonprofits cannot engage in activities supporting or promoting candidates, but they can engage in voter education and voter registration. They can also engage in lobbying (carefully) and advocacy on issues directly affecting them (cultural funding, for example). There are plenty of tip sheets for 501(c)3's but this one is useful: https://www.councilofnonprofits.org/tools-resources/political-campaign-activities-risks-tax-exempt-status.

Sorry, that doesn't answer your question, Anthony, but it does speak to the larger issue of how squeamish nonprofits are about getting involved in the public sphere.

Elizabeth Stewart PhD
    Director
    Renton History Museum
    Renton WA

• 9.  RE: Election 2020 and Museums

Posted 10-29-2019 12:37 PM
    I disagree about "lobbying."  Only 501(c)(4)s are legally allowed to do so.  There are some organizations that are actually two-in-one, incorporated under both code numbers, but must maintain separate boards and budgets.

Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this e-mail and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.

• 10.  RE: Election 2020 and Museums

Posted 10-30-2019 09:38 AM
    ​Elizabeth is correct about lobbying.  How much a 501 (c) 3 organization can do depends on its overall budget. These two IRS links  might be helpful: Lobbying      Measuring Lobbying Activity: Expenditure Test.

The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, incorporated voter registration into one of our Late Night events prior to the last presidential election.
    While related to the broader topic of civic engagements, not elections, we have also twice served as the site for a naturalization ceremony for Boston area residents becoming U.S. citizens, and our MFA Citizens program offers a free one-year membership to all new Massachusetts citizens.

Lynn Courtney
    (she, her, hers)
    Head of Planning and Evaluation
    Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
    Boston, MA

• 11.  RE: Election 2020 and Museums

Posted 10-29-2019 03:43 PM
    Hello, I believe that an art museum must remain neutral when it comes to elections and partisan politics. There may be different opinions about certain historical museums that may have historical connections to a particular cause, but I'm talking about museums that are about displaying art, particularly art that covers multiple centuries and genres. Both employees and visitors, for the most part, do not expect​ such museums to be involved in partisan politics as the art exhibited there usually comes from far and wide beyond the scope of American political parties. For employees, who may have different political views from each other and from the museum directors, it is not fair to force involve them in partisan politics or make them feel like bad employees because they are reluctant to support a political candidate or party they disagree with as a condition for working in a museum. In an age where there is such polarization, art museums can offer a way of finding common ground in love of art, rather than more opportunity for division.

Valeria Kondratiev
    The Frick Collection
    New York NY

• 12.  RE: Election 2020 and Museums

Posted 10-30-2019 01:48 PM

It's been wonderful seeing all of the information and examples shared on this thread!

While museums and nonprofits are prohibited from supporting or opposing a candidate or a political party, museums can participate in advocacy and lobbying for museums and policy issues, and a variety of voter engagement activities. AAM provides these Nonprofit Voter Resources on our website, with additional materials and information on topics including advocacy and lobbying, election guidelines and voter engagement. These resources are shared for informational purposes only and do not serve as legal advice in any capacity.

Thank you,

Ember Farber
    Director, Advocacy
    American Alliance of Museums
    efarber@aam-us.org

• 13.  RE: Election 2020 and Museums

Posted 10-31-2019 01:03 PM
    Edited by Arielle Sherman 10-31-2019 01:05 PM
    I work at the Hammer Museum in Los Angeles and we have a very strong social justice and civic engagement message, which is part of our mission. Many of the contemporary artists we work with do work that is civic-minded and political. As we are part of UCLA, a public institution, we cannot promote specific parties or candidates. But we are a polling place, and we also host many public programs on political issues meant to educate the public on the issues and inspire civic engagement. We have hosted many debate watch parties! And we are currently running a series called Constitution Happy Hour, in which an expert (usually a UCLA professor) discusses an aspect of the Constitution with attendees over drinks! We've run this series twice now and it's really popular.

(Somehow I am logged in to the AAM site as Arielle Sherman (forwarded email?) but this is Susan Edwards, Associate Director, Digital Content)

Susan Edwards
    Associate Director, Digital Content
    Hammer Museum
    Los Angeles CA