Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

• 1.  Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-07-2020 02:17 PM

Hello there, I'm reaching out from Nemours Estate in Wilmington, DE to ask whether there is any interest in forming a discussion or community about the intersections of healthcare and museum/cultural organizations. As a historic site and public gardens sharing a campus and a legacy with a pediatric hospital, Nemours Estate has been initiating as series of programs specifically for the Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children.

Nemours Estate recently participated in the AAM Virtural Conference in a session titled, "Three Models for  Bridging Wellness and Museums". We received a very positive response and realize that our unique situation offers a perspective and experience that may benefit other professionals in the field who also want to develop new audiences and partnerships in healthcare organizations.

Would anyone be interested in forming a Facebook group/informal round table/etc. to focus on this topic? Our experience has taught us that this work is very interdisciplinary, involving administration/management, education, curatorial/interpretation, horticulture, and more.

Thanks for your input!

Annie Thomas-Bubel

Community Education & Museum Coordinator

Nemours Estate
    1600 Rockland Road
    Wilmington, DE 19803
    Office: (302) 651-6917  Cell: (302) 319-1268

annie.thomas-bubel@nemours.org 

http://www.nemoursestate.org

------------------------------
    Annie Thomas Bubel
    Community Education & Museum Services Coordinator
    Nemours Estate
    Wilmington DE
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-07-2020 03:20 PM

One of the museums our umbrella organization operates is the Glore Psychiatric Museum in St. Joseph, Mo.  The Glore Museum shares the history of the treatment of mental illness and the Missouri State Hospital #2.  We would be interested in joining in a conversation about the intersection between museums and healthcare.

Sincerely,

Sara Wilson

Executive Director

St. Joseph Museums, Inc.      Glore Psychiatric Museum       

w. 816-232-8471                           c. 480-703-7235                                  

sjm-new-logo-2014

Missouri Association of Museums and Archives - President

St. Joseph Downtown Rotary #32 - President

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-07-2020 03:30 PM
    Hi Sara, 

Thanks for reaching out. That sounds fascinating, I'd love to connect with you. I'll be reaching out to respondents once we have a group together. 

Annie

Annie Thomas Bubel
    Nemours Estate
    Wilmington DE

• 4.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-09-2020 07:29 AM
    I teach at a univeristy and work as a part-time curator at a local historical museum. I'm very interested. Healthcare inequality and inequity is a systematic problem for us all. 

Lorna Keathley

Lorna Keathley
    Museum Curator - Special Projects

• 5.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-30-2020 06:34 AM
    Thank you for organizing this! I'd love to be included in virtual meeting.  

Anne

Anne Ocone

• 6.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-08-2020 09:07 AM
    I would be very interested in joining the discussion. I am an independent consultant in DEAI and the intersection of wellness, justice, equity and the role of museums is very top of mind for me.

Sandra Bonnici
    AAAM Senior Diversity Fellow
    Madison Children's Museum
    Jamaica Plain MA

• 7.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-08-2020 09:19 AM
    As an occupational therapist and museum professional, I would love to join discussions about intersections between cultural institutions and healthcare!
    I look forward to learning what the next steps will be......thank you!

Terrie Nolinske PhD
    Principal
    Tampa FL

• 8.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-08-2020 09:56 AM
    I think this is a great idea, and I suspect that pediatric facilities, long-term care centers, senior care facilitiies and rehabilitation centers would be very interested. Don Rubin, founder of the beautiful Rubin Museum in New York City, used to say that museums needed to "get art out of the basements and into hospitals and nursing homes" where it could help people recover, and brighten their days and provide intellectual stimulation.

Ford Bell DVM
    Lifetime Member
    American Alliance of Museums
    Wayzata MN

• 9.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-09-2020 01:20 PM
    Dr. Bell:

Your mention of Mr. Rubin's quote is just great.  I have been talking about museums as mental health space during and post COVID 19.  Will cite that quote in my next presentation.  Thank you.

Joyce

Joyce Lee
    President, IndigoJLD Green + Health
    Philadelphia PA

• 10.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-08-2020 11:28 AM
    We would be interested to learn more! The medical field is a major economic industry in our community. Our current Board President is the director of a rehabilitation hospital, and revived a program of utilizing local artists to assist with stroke rehabilitation via visual art projects. We also partnered with a mental health training program last summer regarding utilizing artistic expression and movement alongside traditional talk therapy.

Brian Goesl
    TRAHC Executive Director
    Texarkana TX

• 11.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-08-2020 01:03 PM
    Hi Annie,

I think this is a very important and underrepresented area and would love to contribute to these discussions.  I am involved in the development of an exhibition called Healing Cultures that examines the mind-body connections and healing practices of various world cultures.  Now, with COVID, we are rethinking the format of this project for outside spaces such as public gardens and parks.

Carol Bossert PhD
    Project Director
    Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service-SITES
    Rockville MD

• 12.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-08-2020 01:53 PM
    Hello, I would be interested in joining some kind of roundtable on this topic. My art museum is institutionally connected to a school with a new farm-to-school program which focuses a lot on health and I work a lot with the coordinator of the FTS. I'm not sure how much I could contribute to the discussion but I'd be very happy to hear and learn. 

--
    Audrey Jacobs
    Museum Educator
    The Heritage Center at Red Cloud School
    100 Mission Drive
    Pine Ridge Reservation, SD 57770
    605 867-5491 x2247

Audrey Jacobs
    Museum Educator
    Heritage Center at Red Cloud Indian School
    Pine Ridge SD

• 13.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-09-2020 08:27 AM
    Hi,
    At the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston we have an ongoing program that actively engaged patients and families in a number of Boston area Hospitals - either at the bedside or in group settings, the  Artful Healing program was started in 2005. Here is a link to a description https://www.mfa.org/programs/community-programs/artful-healing  This programming was targeted toward an audience who is generally younger (pediatric) but does work with teens and adults outside the museum.  This opportunity to share knowledge with peer programs would be welcome. A resource that I felt was extremely helpful to the operation of this program was the  National Organization for Arts & Healthcare (NOAH) https://thenoah.net/ .  Again looking forward to reading more on this platform

Best,

Robert Worstell
    Linde Family Head of Community and Studio Art
    Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
    www.mfa.org
    rworstell@mfa.org

Robert Worstell
    Linde Family Head of Community Art & Studio Art
    Museum of Fine Arts
    Boston MA

• 14.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-09-2020 08:40 AM

I'm the Associate Director for Community Engagement at the Cincinnati Art Museum, I'd be very interested in this discussion, thank you for presenting the question! 

Carrie Atkins Maras
    Cincinnati Art Museum
    carrie.maras@cincyart.org

Carrie Atkins Maras
    Associate director of Community Engagement
    Cincinnati Art Museum
    Cincinnati OH

• 15.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-09-2020 09:30 AM
    I am an independent scholar/curator/archivist who has worked on arts and military projects focused on healthcare and wellness for ten years now.  I would be most interested in participating in a group like this.  Also, you all might find it informative to look at the website for the professional organization called National Organization for Arts in Healthcare (NOAH) - https://thenoah.net/.  This group (and its predecessor organization - Society for the Arts in Healthcare) have done groundbreaking work around the arts and wellness.

Tara Leigh Tappert, Ph.D.
    t_tappert@yahoo.com
    202-423-6547

Tara Tappert PhD
    Arts Consultant
    Tappert & Associates
    Takoma Park MD

• 16.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-09-2020 09:46 AM

Greetings from Cleveland, OH.

I am the director of exhibits and experiences at Holden Forests & Gardens, which comprises the Cleveland Botanical Garden and Holden Arboretum. Our Cleveland Botanical campus is just a few miles from the Cleveland Clinic main campus and I've been wanting to partner with them, but just haven't had the right angle. So I am very interested in participating as well.

Thank you for the initiative!

Best regards

Jillian Slane
    Director of Exhibits & Experiences
    Holden Forests and Gardens
    Holdenarb.org

• 17.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-09-2020 09:52 AM
    I am interested as well - at the PlayHouse we were in the midst of launching Prescription for Play, a collaboration with a large local hospital / medical provider, when COVID hit.

Rebecca Shulman
    Director, Peoria PlayHouse Children's Museum
    Peoria PlayHouse Children's Museum
    Peoria IL

• 18.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-09-2020 10:15 AM
    I am very interested in participating in discussion/initiatives around museum and healthcare/wellness and would love to join a group of colleagues exploring this work. The Columbia Museum of Art executed an IMLS grant in 2013-2016 that examined how our museum could be more accessible for people as they age in a project called the Creative Age Initiative. What we learned throughout the grant cycle was built into our facility renovation program from 2018-2019. We are very interested in expanding upon our work as we look to develop new programs and partnerships, and consider additional physical changes or technology to advance this work. Additionally, I am currently serving as the chair of the Columbia, South Carolina Age Friendly Cities Advisory Board, a project of the AARP's Livable Cities project. This group is comprised of a great cross section of leaders in housing, healthcare, public works, and arts and culture.

Joelle Ryan-Cook
    Deputy Director & Director of External Affairs
    Columbia Museum of Art
    Columbia SC

• 19.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-09-2020 10:33 AM
    I'd love to learn more, we've discussed this at the Field Museum off and on for years. One thought/question was how wellness-driven initiatives and policies are valued and could be incentivized by museums with the help the healthcare providers, given that the healthier an institution's workforce is, the lower their medical expenses. This would be relevant in areas like bike parking, exercise and shower facilities onsite, food programs that replace heavily processed and/or sugary items with organic and fairly traded ones, etc. I signed up for the WELL exam and their prep course/resources specifically to learn more about how medical research can help inform and complement more building-driven sustainability considerations and policies, such as LEED.

Great idea, thanks!

Carter

Carter O'Brien, LEED AP O+M

Sustainability Manager
    Science & Education
    Field Museum of Natural History
    312-665-7811

Learn about The Field Museum's green building initiatives here:

https://www.fieldmuseum.org/science/conservation/greener-field

• 20.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-09-2020 10:51 AM
    Hello all. Thank you for starting this thread, Annie! 

The Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences operates both the Buffalo Museum of Science and Tifft Nature Preserve. The city of Buffalo has many medical research facilities and universities, as well as mutual aid networks. While we have partnered with the Department of Health, science policy groups, and university research initiatives for lectures in the past. I would love the opportunity to brainstorm with others on meaningful ways to amplify community wellness resources using the Museum's platform. 

Gabrielle Graham
    Museum Educator
    Tallahassee FL

• 21.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-09-2020 01:04 PM
    I'm the Supervisor at a small agricultural museum with a very small staff. We are getting ready to install a sensory garden and I have hopes of intersecting with a variety of healthcare organizations but I'm not sure where to start.  I'd be very interested in this discussion and seeing what I can glean from other's experiences!  Thank you very much!

Diane Ingram
    Museum Supervisor
    Manatee County Agricultural Museum
    Palmetto FL

• 22.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-10-2020 09:54 AM
    Annie,
    I would and most likely my colleagues be very interested in joining a discussion or community about the intersections of healthcare and museum/cultural organizations. The Lowe Art Museum has an existing program called the Fine Art of Healthcare that has been running for over a decade. The museum works closely with the medical school at the University of Miami on this program and it includes involvement of nursing and medical school students. Founded in 2009, the Lowe's Fine Art of Heath Care is an inter-professional program for students and professionals in Medicine, Nursing, Physical Therapy, and Mental Health. Using art and discussion as tools with the Visual Thinking Strategies (VTS) methodology, participants fine-tune their observational, analytical, and communication skills, all of which are important in clinical settings. They also learn about self-care, as they are encouraged to slow down and unwind in the Lowe's galleries.

Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Digital Experience Manager and Head of Education
    Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami
    Coal Gables, FL

• 23.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-10-2020 10:04 AM
    it sounds like we have lots of folks interested in learning, sharing , and growing this type of intersection and content. Here are  some additional resources outside of the museum field to add to this vibrant discussion.
    The Center for Arts in Medicine

Mass Cultural Council - Culture RX initiative

Sandra Bonnici
    she/her/hers
    Senior Diversity Fellow for American Alliance of Museums
    Diversity and Inclusion Consultant 

"We have to recognise that there cannot be relationships unless there is commitment, unless there is loyalty, unless there is love, patience, persistence." "Never forget that justice is what love looks like in public."

CORNEL WEST

• 24.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-10-2020 10:31 AM
    The Lowe Art Museum's program is a great model, and I know there are others out there as well. Thank you for sharing the great work of the Lowe Art Museum.

Sent from my iPhone

• 25.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-16-2020 10:53 AM
    Sandra, thanks for sharing. The Culture RX program looks amazing, I can't wait to hear more about it!

Annie Thomas Bubel
    Nemours Estate
    Wilmington DE

• 26.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-10-2020 11:47 AM
    Thank you for starting this discussion!  It is such an important one right now.  Back in 2016 I guest edited an issue of the Journal of Museum Education with Carole Krucoff and Heather Serrill Johnson on Health and Wellness in Museum.  There are some great articles and also additional references in each that could be helpful.

http://www.museumedu.org/jme/jme-41-2-health-and-wellness-in-our-communities-the-impact-of-museums/

Brooke DiGiovanni Evans
    Interim Director of Learning and Head of Gallery Learning
    Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

Brooke Evans
    Head of Gallery Learning
    Museum of Fine Arts
    Boston MA

• 27.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-15-2020 01:59 PM
    Interesting discussion about such a critical issue in museum relevancy! I second Brooke's recommendation of the JME issue ... which it has nothing to do with my being published in it, haha.

I might also shamelessly draw your attention to the recent AMA Journal of Ethics podcast episode "Museum Learning to Mitigate Loneliness Among Elders" in which I had the privilege of highlighting various ways museums and healthcare intersect.

Cheers,
    Lucas Livingston

Lucas Livingston
    lucas@ancientartpodcast.org
    Twitter @lucaslivingston
    Instagram @thereallucas
    http://ancientartpodcast.org/lucas
    https://artic.academia.edu/LucasLivingston

• 28.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-16-2020 10:49 AM
    Thank you both for sending this along, this whole issue is fascinating! And I'm looking forward to listening to your podcast episode- thanks for passing these great resources along!

Annie Thomas Bubel
    Nemours Estate
    Wilmington DE

• 29.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-10-2020 01:08 PM
    Hi all! Here at the Florida Museum of Natural History we offer a twice weekly stretching/mobility session to help improve muscular and joint wellness for staff members. As a NASM-CPT (personal trainer), I lead the sessions. We call it "Museum Moves." We also partner with the University of Florida's GatorCare wellness program and host yoga sessions for University staff at the museum. Physical well being is intimately tied to emotional and mental well being, all of which directly impact work performance. Research supports this.

Partner with your local yoga studios! They are usually thrilled to offer museum galleries as a venue once a month or every quarter.

Tom Kyne
    Traveling Exhibits Coordinator
    Florida Museum of Natural History - University of Florida
    Gainesville FL

• 30.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-14-2020 09:32 AM
    Thank you to everyone who responded to this thread! We are thrilled to see so much interest in this topic and I'll be reaching back out soon to discuss next steps in conversation. Likely, we'll want to form a LinkedIn group or something similar plus a series of virtual meetings to start unpacking and discussing the many intersections between healthcare and museums/cultural organizations. Thank you again, I'll touch base again by the end of the week!

Annie Thomas Bubel
    Nemours Estate
    Wilmington DE

• 31.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-15-2020 01:52 PM
    Edited by Annie Thomas Bubel 07-16-2020 10:17 AM
    Good Afternoon Everyone, 

Please save the date for an upcoming virtual conversation about health, well-being & cultural organizations! We will meet virtually on Wednesday, August 5th from 2:30 PM to 4:00 PM EST to introduce ourselves, define the priorities in this conversation, and look at next steps for creating a group of museum/cultural/horticulture professionals interested in the intersections of healthcare and our workplaces. 

Link to the meeting to follow. Also, if you have not already shared your email with me and would like me to email you the link when it is created, please send me your contact information and I"ll be happy to send you an invitation. 

Thank you all, 
    Annie

Annie Thomas-Bubel

Community Education & Museum Coordinator

Nemours Estate
    1600 Rockland Road
    Wilmington, DE 19803
    Office: (302) 651-6917  Cell: (302) 319-1268

http://www.nemoursestate.org

Annie Thomas Bubel
    Nemours Estate
    Wilmington DE

• 32.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-21-2020 04:16 PM
    Hi Annie,

I would like to learn more about this online event when it is created, please add my contact info to your invitation list.

Cheers,
    Danielle

Danielle Schulz
    Senior Manager of Lifelong Learning and Accessibility
    Denver CO

• 33.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-29-2020 08:56 AM
    Hi Annie,

As a former long-term healthcare marketing professional now working with museum marketing, education, and collections management, I'm very interested in joining your group. Thanks for the offer! I look forward to  "meeting" everyone online. 

Kim Jondahl
    Audience Engagement & Museum
    State Historical Society

Kimberly Jondahl MBA
    Communications & Education Director
    State Historical Society of North Dakota
    Bismarck ND

• 34.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-29-2020 06:01 PM
    Dear Annie,

Thank you so much for kicking off this much needed conversation. Some of my colleagues and I have recently been meeting to discuss opportunities around art therapy and I would love to be included in this conversation on August 5. My email is msegoviano@crockerart.org

With appreciation,

Maria Segoviano
    PR & Communications Associate
    Crocker Art Museum
    O: (916) 808-1186

Exhibitions, classes, programs, and more:
    crockerart.org / @crockerart

Maria Segoviano
    PR & Communications Associate
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA

• 35.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-22-2020 04:12 PM
    Hi Annie, 

I'd love to be part of that discussion. I work for a University history museum that operates out of a formerly segregated northern Indiana swimming pool. For several years now, every graduate of the university's nursing program has done so by coming through our space. They use our story as a way to root students in the history and contemporary impacts of disparate health care for marginalized and oppressed peoples. 

If I may make a suggestion: Considering how Facebook is failing to stand up against dangerous disinformation, as well as how many people don't use the platform, I'm hopeful Facebook groups isn't the place this conversation occurs. Perhaps a Google group email listserv? Perhaps some other tool for community communication? 

With sincerest thanks,

George Garner
    Assistant Director & Curator
    Civil Rights Heritage Center - Indiana University, South Bend
    South Bend IN

• 36.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-23-2020 10:42 AM
    Thanks so much for your interest! And yes, I think format will be a question for the group, your comment about FB is a good one. Right now I think we're hoping to start the conversation off via a virtual meeting and then make some decisions about best processes going forward. Thanks again!

Annie Thomas Bubel
    Nemours Estate
    Wilmington DE

• 37.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-27-2020 11:37 AM
    Annie,
    I'd love to join the discussion as well. I think there are some very compelling opportunities for museums and wellness, particularly from an audience development and membership/fundraising standpoint. 

I also agree with George and would prefer not to use Facebook as the hub for future conversation on this topic. 

Looking forward to learning more!

Rosie Siemer
    {she/her/hers}

Founder + CEO
    FIVESEED
    303-880-7105

• 38.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-28-2020 10:08 AM
    There is definitely a voice for museums in the health and wellness arena.  As the retiring executive director of Bergstrom-Mahler Museum of Glass, a free art museum, we have offered experiences for many with disabilities from simply accommodating drop in tours for an outing, to dementia friendly programs and opportunities for marginalized audiences.  Currently, an exhibition focusing on the human figure in contemporary glass as the medium, offers the visitor an opportunity to experience a full range of human emotions through the art.  Invitations have been extended to view to weary healthcare workers in addition to the other essential audiences.   Form and Feeling: Expressions of Humanity is on view to January and on line.   https://bmmglass.com/exhibits/current/

Jan Smith
    Museum Consultant
    Neenah WI

• 39.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-23-2020 10:34 AM
    Count me in too! We are currently reconsidering our History of Medicine space to cover more areas of social justice/civil rights in the history of medicine and we are also hosting a virtual event and creating an online exhibit about mental health in October https://library.duke.edu/exhibits/2020/creativity_mental_health I'm beginning to wish that all of our university spaces could be about mental health support this fall-just to have public areas that make people feel good and escape all the anxiety!

Margaret Brown
    Exhibits Librarian
    Duke University Libraries
    Durham NC

• 40.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-24-2020 08:09 AM
    Hi -

Please put me and one of my colleagues on your invitation list:
    ksheahan@illinois
    jsthoma1@illinois.edu

Thanks

Kim Sheahan
    Asst. Dir. of Education
    W.R. & C.V. Spurlock Museum - University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
    Urbana IL

• 41.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-24-2020 10:21 AM
    Hello,

I'd like to be added to the list, as well.

Thanks,
    Heather
    htrubee@ut.edu

Heather Trubee Brown
    Curator of Education
    Henry Plant Museum

Heather Brown
    Curator of Education
    Henry B. Plant Museum
    Tampa FL

• 42.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-30-2020 06:56 AM
    Dear Annie,

In San Francisco, I understand Exploratorium worked with Benoit Children's Hospital wing to create programming for their new Children's ward.  If they have not responded, I would reach out to them.

https://www.exploratorium.edu/education/creating-learning-teaching-experiences

Mandi Toutsch

Mandi Toutsch
    P: 650-336-3121
    E: mandiltoutsch@me.com
    www.linkedin.com/in/manditoutsch/

• 43.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-30-2020 09:01 AM
    Hi Mandi, 

That's wonderful, thank you so much for sharing and I will certainly reach out to them!

Annie

Annie Thomas Bubel
    Nemours Estate
    Wilmington DE

• 44.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-30-2020 10:54 AM
    Good Morning Everyone, 

I just emailed the link for our upcoming virtual conversation on August 5th from 2:30 PM to 4 PM, EST. If you did not receive the link and would like to, please send me your email and I will be sure to add you to the list. Thank you again, looking forward to the meeting.

Annie

Annie Thomas Bubel
    Nemours Estate
    Wilmington DE

• 45.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-30-2020 11:35 AM
    Annie, I did not see a link come through. Jan 

Sent from my iPhone
    Jan Mirenda Smith

• 46.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-30-2020 01:53 PM
    Hello,

I didn't get a link either and would love to join.  Is it possible to post in this forum?

Thank you!

Brooke Evans
    Head of Gallery Learning
    Museum of Fine Arts
    Boston MA

• 47.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-30-2020 01:56 PM
    Hello Annie:
    I did not receive the link either and I would like to be there.

Thank you,
    Lorna

• 48.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 07-30-2020 01:59 PM
    Hi Everyone, the link is here but if you would like me to email you directly I am happy to as well! 

https://nemours.webex.com/nemours/j.php?MTID=mbb5bcdbb1ee8df2176c8cdb189365b9f 

The password is "health". 

Thank you all!
    Annie

Annie Thomas Bubel
    Nemours Estate
    Wilmington DE

• 49.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 08-03-2020 11:10 AM
    Annie,

Thank you for starting this conversation. I would like to participate in the webinar on 8/5.

Ruth Meyers
    Grants Manager
    ZooTampa at Lowry Park
    Tampa, FL

Ruth Meyers
    Grants Manager
    Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo
    Tampa FL

• 50.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 08-04-2020 08:21 AM

Thanks for arranging this Annie,
    I would love to attend as well. I am a recent Master's Degree graduate in Museum Studies and have been partnering with a number of arts institutions to create movement programs that combine my experience as a professional dancer and teacher with museum education. You can see an example here of something I did with the Aspen Art Museum. Most recently, I am partnering with a local Physical Therapy business to create a class that takes inspiration from visual art to inform movements promoting physical, mental, and emotional health. See you Wednesday! 

-Lauren King

Lauren King
    Museum Studies, Harvard Extension School - Harvard University
    Cambridge MA

• 51.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 08-04-2020 05:23 PM
    Hi!'

I am a Cultural Inclusion Consultant , collaborating in cultural spaces at the intersections of race, gender, and disability for sustainable program and policy change. I offer a workshop addressing Intersectionality , an area where I believe many museums can do better regarding programing and policies. I, myself, take up space at the intersections of being a BLACK women, Healthcare provider as a practicing Occupational Therapist Assistant, and museum professional , being born and raised in the south. I am excited to see many museums and spaces being more eager to address intersectionality , and I would love to hold space in this narrative. 

Olivia Chisholm ,COTA/L
    Cultural Inclusion Consultant

Olivia Chisholm
    Inclusion Consultant

• 52.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 08-05-2020 02:19 PM
    Hi all,

I write for The Art Newspaper, NYT and Artnet.
    Just how many museums have brought on inclusion consultants? 
    Olivia, can you tell me a bit about which museums have you consulted with.
    Many thanks.

Brook S. Mason
    U.S. Correspondent
    The Art Newspaper
    38 East 85th Street
    New York, NY 10028
    Tel.: 212 472 9889
    Fax: 212 472 1563
    brookmason@gmail.com

• 53.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 08-05-2020 10:00 AM
    Hi Annie,

Thanks for organizing this important and timely discussion. I may not have a lot to say at this point, but would appreciate being included.

Sincerely,

Paula Lalala

Paula Lalala

• 54.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 08-05-2020 01:58 PM
    Somewhat germane to the topic, I'd like to promote an online lecture series happening Wednesdays this month with the Chicago Brewseum and art therapy organization Sacred Transformations.

The current critical turning point in society has magnified the intersections of physical and mental health and systemic violence, prejudice, and injustice.

Throughout the month of August, the not-for-profit social service organization Sacred Transformation and the Chicago Brewseum are pleased to partner in their commitment to communities. Libations is an innovative four week series that addresses the ceremonial and celebratory functions of beverages and drinking as well as the negative consequences of over consumption and addiction.

Beer and other beverages have served central roles in ceremonial and celebratory functions across time, the world over. The flow of liquid libations forms the core of many spiritual and secular social assemblies, sometimes seemingly innocent, but always powerful. Yet the abuse of alcohol can also lead to negative consequences for individuals and communities. In our global moment of heightened social isolation during the COVID-19 pandemic, one hidden repercussion is an increase in alcohol abuse and a resurgence of patterns of addiction among marginalized and vulnerable individuals.

Wednesdays in August, 6-7pm Central

8/5 - The Art Therapy within the Art of Adult Coloring [lucaslivingston@gmail.com" style="text-decoration: none">add to calendar]
    Eric Dean Spruth MA, ATR, Sacred Transformations; co-curator of The Libations Exhibition

8/12 - Addictions and the Triggers of Trauma [lucaslivingston@gmail.com" style="text-decoration: none">add to calendar]
    Lori Coppinger, MA, LMHC

8/19 - Alcohol's Magic in Antiquity: Fermentation, Intoxication, Metamorphosis, and Madness [lucaslivingston@gmail.com" style="text-decoration: none">add to calendar]
    Lucas Livingston, beer and art historian; co-curator of The Libations Exhibition

8/26 - Go Fruit Yourself: The Benefits of a Detox through Juicing [lucaslivingston@gmail.com" style="text-decoration: none">add to calendar]
    Rebecca Raspberry, Vibrations Wellness Juice Bar & Cafe

This series of talks is presented in conjunction with The Libations Exhibition, now on view at Fluid Coffebar (518 Franklin, Michigan City, IN) throughout August. The exhibition features over 60 works of art produced by a diverse body of artists throughout Northwest Indiana and the greater Chicagoland area.

Beer is more than just a beverage. It is a dynamic cultural force with the power to bring people together and the ability to make change. Creating art has the power to heal, transform, and build community. We invite you to join us.

• 55.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 08-05-2020 05:13 PM
    Thank you very much to all participants on today's call! It was exciting and interesting to connect with such a great community of museum, garden, cultural, and healthcare professionals. Due to the overwhelmingly positive response, we made it about halfway through introductions before time was up. It was fascinating to hear all about the important work going on across the country. We want to continue hearing from everyone and determine the next steps for creating some working, collaborative groups. If you are on the email list, I will be sending out a transcript of the chat and a recording of the call as well as a contact list early next week. 

I've scheduled an Introduction Part 2 Call for Wednesday, August 12th from 2:30 PM to 4:00 PM EST. The link is here, no password required. 

https://nemours.webex.com/nemours/j.php?MTID=mbc7617661d90d06a45fd850eadccefc7 

Please join us if you can and thank you again. If you haven't already sent me your email and would like to be on the list, please send me a private message or email me directly at annie.thomas-bubel@nemours.org

Annie Thomas Bubel
    Nemours Estate
    Wilmington DE

• 56.  RE: Intersections Between Museums/Cultural Organizations & Healthcare

Posted 08-10-2020 04:37 PM
    Good Afternoon Everyone, 

I just emailed a link to the session recording and chat transcript, please send me your email if you did not receive my message and I will put you on the contact list! Reminder that we will be meeting for part 2 of introductions on Wednesday, August 12th from 2:30 PM to 4:00 PM EST. If you did not get a chance to join us the first time, please feel free to introduce yourself on Wednesday! If you did join, this will be a great extension of our meeting last week and I look forward to continuing the conversation. 

The link to the meeting Wednesday is: https://nemours.webex.com/nemours/j.php?MTID=mbc7617661d90d06a45fd850eadccefc7 

Thank you again for sharing your work, your ideas, and your priorities for the future of this conversation & collaboration. 

Annie

Annie Thomas Bubel
    Nemours Estate
    Wilmington DE